Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taeel

Anyone love their Capital Precision range?

taeel
12 years ago

I'm seriously considering the 36" range, but while there's lots of love for the CC, I don't get the same feel for the Precision. Anyone love theirs?

Also, do you get the self clean or not? I wasn't planning on doing a self-clean but am thinking that using the rotisserie without self cleaning might be a pain.

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• tyguy
    12 years ago

Why wouldn't you want the culanarian? The presicion doesn't have the same cult following cause its the same as every other pro style range available. The CC is in the high powered open burner club that has only 3 members...actually, more like 2 and a half members, as the american range is only available in 30 and 36 inch sizes.

• jscout
    12 years ago

The Precision is a very good sealed burner range. I have a CC. A few years ago, when I started looking at ranges, the CC wasn't available. But after doing a lot of research, I had narrowed it down to a Precision. At the time, I thought it was the best value in sealed burner ranges, balancing features, quality and price.

Then I found out that there was a high BTU open burner range rated for residential use and I totally switched gears, focusing on the BS. By the time I was ready to purchase a range, the CC had come out. I was excited that it was a range and brand that I was already familiar with, since the CC was built on the Precision platform. Having used my CC for a few months now, I think the Precision platform is very good.

One thing to note is that rotisserie is only available with self-clean. I think that's the same for both CP and CC. I have the CC self-clean and the cleaning feature works very well.

If you can't fit a CC or any open burner range in the budget, I think the Precision is still a great value.

There's at least one other GW member, beekeeperswife, who had a Precision. May she will see this thread and comment.

• rhivers
    12 years ago

I own a Precision, which was bought prior to the Culinarian being accounced, and I am extremely pleased with it. If you search you should find a number of older posts discussing it. For the most part people seemed to share my very positive impression. There was an issue at one point with burner valves not being properly adjustable and with small pots tipping due the grate design. The valve issue was repairable and was no longer an issue by the time I bought my range. The grates were apparently redesigned to deal with the tipping problem. I have the old grates and I own one small pot that I have to be careful with but it's never actually tipped and my understanding is that the new design solves this in any event. The flame pattern is directed towards the outside of pots on higher heat, as is typical of sealed burners, but the burner circumfrence is smaller than many sealed burners.

I find that if one uses fully clad cookware and errs on the side of wider pots you can use high hear while keeping the flames under the pot instead of up the sides, harnessing most of the 19K BTU's with reasonably even heat across the bottom. I recently bought some fully clad Henckell pots that are a bit wider than the All Clad pots of the same volume, and they are working very well for me. My old disk bottom pots wehere fine on the old Frigidaire builder's grade range, but on the Precisions the heat would be less even and I would get burning on the edges of the disk where the bottom met the sides. This is no longer a problem.

My one complaint, which I have mentioned in another post, is cleaning the burner caps and the metal rings surrounding the burners (meant to protect the stainless finish). They are a blueish porcelain coated (I think) metal. Grease burns on and polymerizes on them - and sticks like bark to a tree. Capital recommended soaking them with Dawn and I have tried all manner of degreaser but nothing seems to budge it. The same thing happens on the burner grates themselves, but the grates have a blacker finish so it's not nearly as noticeable. It remains a great looking applaince and I've reconciled myself to the fact that it looks like a range someone uses to cook.

• prospect711
    12 years ago

We've had our 30" Capital Precision range since October, and it is great. No problems at all. Have cooked Thanksgiving dinner for 14, baked cookies and pies, made the traditional Super Bowl Chili, brewed beer, etc.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    12 years ago

My 30 Capital Precision is due tomorrow. After reading all the discussion over the simmer problems with the CC I am hoping the Precision doesn't suffer a similar problem, as I loved the simmer burner of my old GE range which I sold today. I will be happy to report out once I get cooking on my new range.

• Andrew Mazer
    7 years ago

We've been using our new Capital Precision MCR30 range for a few weeks and I think it's great. The four burners put out a lot of heat (19K btu's each) and the gas oven heats up quickly and settles at the correct temperature (according to an oven thermometer we used).

The range is solid and seems very nicely assembled. Aesthetically, I think it looks very spiffy, with nice cast iron grates and a large oven window that looks into a huge oven. Everything is heavy-duty and feels like it moves with precision, so I guess the name is appropriate.

The burners' heat output compared to our old GE consumer stove (with maximum output of just 11K btu's on one burner and less on the others) is amazing. Now we can boil water quickly, and when pasta is added, the water returns to a boil within 30 seconds... as opposed to 10+ minutes on the old GE.

Honestly, I'm a power addict as far as stove burners go... but I don't see why anyone would need more power than this range has. It really cranks the heat!

Plus, the burners turn down to a very low simmer when you need to do that. Unlike some other commenters, I found that the burners do adjust down smoothly to simmer, not jump from full high or near-full high to low. So there is excellent incremental control.

I didn't feel it was worth it to spend the extra $800 for the more powerful open burners of the Culinerian model. These burners work beautifully; they spread a denser, thicker flame (even when turned down) that a typical consumer range, and when turned up, they generate a lot of heat! You can certainly use a smaller pan on these burners, although our stainless butter-melting 'mini pot' with maybe a 2.5* bottom would be tricky... then again, it was pretty unstable on the old GE range.

This is the first non-self cleaning oven I've had, but that's a trade-off I'm OK with. For $3,199, this range is about the same price as the Jenn-Air slide-in dual-fuel consumer range, but more rugged, solid and professional... not to mention, much hotter burners. I'm happy to trade the vulnerable electronic control panel (10 modes of convection cooking!) and self-cleaning electric oven of the Jenn-Air for the simple reliability, power and, yes, elegance of the Capital MCR.

For some reason, the BTU output of the Capital range is the same for propane as for natural gas. With most other ranges, the btus drop considerably when you use propane. For example, the power burner on the Bosch 600 dual-fuel slide-in range drops from 18K (natural gas) to 12.5 K when you use propane- that's a huge hit!

So, if you are looking not to spend a fortune on a range, but want one with power, quality, and aesthetics (and don't mind having to clean the oven manually), this is THE one to get. If price is no object, by all means, go for the Culinerian... but keep enough cash aside for a good range hood, whichever you get!