Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carnivore

Cast iron replacement griddle for GE Cafe range?

carnivore
9 years ago

Does anyone know of a cast iron griddle that fits over the center oval burner on a GE Cafe range? The one that came with the range is made of aluminum with a non-stick coating that's peeling, and a surface that doesn't heat evenly out to the edge.

Although it's a longshot, I'd love to find a cast iron replacement that drops right into the center burner grate opening.

Plan 'B' would be to go with a something like the Lodge model LPG13 cast iron griddle, but that would need to sit on top of the grates, farther away from the 8,000 BTU oval burner which is rather underpowered to begin with. It would provide a little more cooking area though, which would be nice if it performs well enough. If anyone has done this please let me know how it has worked out for you.

I do use my griddle to cook a number of things but the original one has problems, so either way I'm looking for a suitable upgrade.

EDIT: GE part # WB31X20584 fits. Scroll down for details and pictures.

This post was edited by carnivore on Tue, Jan 13, 15 at 15:59

Comments (70)

• jtkaybean
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for the tip Carnivore, I got a discount from GE. Thrilled it's cast iron, that's what I mostly cook with now. Can't wait to cook on it!

• Darlene
    9 years ago

Actually googled your exact question carnivore... And found this thread. Thanks for showing photos! Will be ordering mine soon, using your tip for discount!

• playacalor
    9 years ago

carnivore, thanks so much for the detailed info and research! I also have a GE Cafe and wanted to have a grill for similar reasons (avoiding Teflon). I hate using my Le Creuset and Lodge grill pans on top of the grate as they never seem to get hot enough to sear properly.

As for your silicone tape idea to stabilize the grill ... you might want to consider using Rescue Tape (get the original, not knock off) - it doesn't leave a residue and resists up to 500 degree heat.

• Cyndi Collen
    8 years ago

Thanks for posting all of these threads Carnivore as I too had the same question. Happy to get rid of my non-stick griddle and can't wait to try the Cast Iron version.

• Cyndi Collen
    8 years ago

I called GE to order the griddle carnivore recommended and the salesperson was surprised that the Profile part could work on the Cafe range. I asked for and received a discount (15%) stating the original non stick griddle was sub par quality. Absolutely LOVE the new cast iron griddle as it fits securely and the grill and flat options are perfect for the way I cook. Very grateful to have found this info on Houzz ... Thank you Carnivore!!!

• onfrichuk12
    8 years ago

What is the exact dimensions of the wb31x20584. Does it fit exactly in the space and fit level.

• Cyndi Collen
    8 years ago
    Don't know the exact dimensions but it fits securely and is level.
  • onfrichuk12
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I just got my new one today and I love it. The only thing I am disappointed in is that there is no Lodge logo on it. So Ge is probably having someone else make it now.

For those that want to know and have not purchased the replacement grill top, the old aluminum one is 20 X 8.5 inches and the new one is 20 and 3/8 X 8.5 inches. The new one fits perfectly and rests on the 4 bumps that help space the grills. It does not rub on the back ledge by the vent and it does not wobble in its place either. It could scratch the 4 bumps it rests on but if it does that is not really a problem because there will always be something covering them. I am going to look for some kind of silicone tape or pad and if I find anything I will let everyone know. Rescue tape will probably not work because it will only adhere to its self and not other materials like steel.

• Melissa Carhuff
    8 years ago

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

We inherited this oven when we moved, and the griddle is horrible, and I'm pretty sure I accidentally just fed my family a decent amount of Teflon coating. YUK. Thanks, I immediately verified the size and went to GE Parts and ordered. If you're ever in Olympia, WA...

• tindalljudie
    8 years ago

Just received my GE Cafe range yesterday. Excited about it, but was disappointed with the lightweight griddle and shocked it was made of aluminum and coated with Teflon. Any Teflon coated pan I have had in the past ( including high quality ones) have peeled. I have a heavy cast iron griddle from my old Amana stove, plus an old Jenn Aire one. Can I use these over the burners without causing harm to my Cafe? They are much wider than my new Cafe griddle . Will the different BTUs cause problems with uneven heat or can that be overcome? onfrichuk12 if you are still with us, is your griddle still performing up to the expectations of the Lodge brand. I am pretty much of a brand freak and would like to know how happy you are. Thanks to all.

• jtkaybean
    8 years ago
    Mine doesn't have Lodge logo anywhere. Had it for a year and it's awesome. Extremely heavy, quality is excellent .
  • tindalljudie
    8 years ago

Thank you.

• onfrichuk12
    8 years ago

I love mine! I think it is a fantastic addition to the stove top. We leave ours on all the time because we use it so much. I would get this one instead of using a larger one that needs to sit on top. That would take away from the rest of the cook surface and make it hard to cook multiple things at once.

• maderawoodwork
    7 years ago

I found this thread very helpful, especially the details and photos of the griddles. Curious to hear if anyone here using a cast iron replacement griddle has the GE Cafe C2S985SETSS model? I'm looking at buying this stove and don't want teflon. Thank you!!

• onfrichuk12
    7 years ago

That stove you have is essentially the same. You just have the single oven version. The stove top is identical and the cast iron Griddle we are using will fit perfectly. I never ended up finding something make silicone pads out of for the bumps that the Griddle rests on. But if your are carefull when putting the Griddle on it doesn't matter. It will leave a Tiny scratch on each bump but who cares. You will never see them as they are always covered and and the end of the day you get a fantastic Griddle that is perfect for steak or pancakes or burgers or whatever else you desire. If you have any other questions just let me know I'm more then happy to help someone else enjoy their stove as much as we enjoy ours.

• maderawoodwork
    7 years ago

Ok, thanks!

• highlander_drake
    7 years ago

Is there a unique part number for the cast iron version of the griddle? Those of you who ordered part #WB31X20584 got the cast iron version, right? I tried that and GE sent another defective Teflon coated griddle for free for my Profile (PGS920SEFSS).

I've been on the phone better part of an hour with GE -- Crystal in Consumer Relations -- and she says it doesn't exist. I had to ask a dozen times to speak to a supervisor, and when she finally let me the supervisor just said the same thing.

I told her about this discussion string (offered to send her the link) and all the people who posted pics and said they love the cast iron griddle they ordered from GE, but she said she can't help me. She wasn't even willing to look at the post.

Definitely one of the worst customer experiences I've ever had. Needless to say I am now and will forever be Anti-GE, though I'd really appreciate the opportunity to buy the cast iron version of the griddle.

If anyone is able to get one for me, I'll pay double for it. I use a LODGE cast iron griddle every day but would love to have the one made for the Profile range.

• onfrichuk12
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

WB31X20584 is the cast iron one. I believe it is actually for the profile series. However it does fit the café series. There is another part number for the aluminum one. I purchased mine from the repair clinic. They are located in the USA and ship to both US and canada. They are fantastic to deal with. I highly recommend them.

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Griddle/WB31X20584/3026621

This is link to the exact one I purchased.

Don't let the Ge guy on the phone sour your opinion of GE. All appliance companies have terrible phone support. I have a family member who owns his own appliance repair company and I hear all of the stories. The fact is GE makes the best Most reliable stoves. The proof is in the consumer reports and from my family member who fixes them.

if you have any questions let me know.

• highlander_drake
    7 years ago

Thanks onfrichuk12. That's the part number I gave GE. Just spoke to them again, and got nowhere. It's so sad. I've been a GE fan my whole life, and it's hard not to feel let down.

Thanks for the link. Funny thing is I also ordered that same part from Repair Clinic just a few days ago. They shipped it next day, but they sent the aluminum Teflon coated version, not the cast iron version shown in the product picture. I shipped it back earlier today.

I have to chuckle because it just seems like I'm not mean to have the cast iron version of that griddle, even though I have the Profile range it's made for. I'd gladly pay $200 for one.

I'm going to call Repair Clinic to see if they can help. Again, thank you!

• onfrichuk12
    7 years ago

I am glad I could help. I did get mine from the repair clinic. I am sure if you give them a call they will be able to help. Keep me updated. I hope you are able to get the cast one I love so much. When you get it I want to know how you like it.

Did the aluminium one have the part number for the cast one on the box. I am wondering if it was picked wrong for your order or packaged and labeled wrong by the manufacturer

• highlander_drake
    7 years ago

I really appreciate your encouragement. I double-checked the part number on the box before sending it back, same one: WB31X20584.

Repair Clinic is looking into it to see if they can troubleshoot. They said that part number corresponds with a Teflon coated griddle -- even though the photo on their site shows cast iron. The rep said the supplier may not be making the cast iron version any more. I'll let you know if I have any luck. Thanks!

• maderawoodwork
    7 years ago

Oh, geez, I hope they are still making the cast iron griddle because I just ordered a new Profile model that is supposed to come with cast iron...

• highlander_drake
    7 years ago

I sure hop you do. Could you tell me who you ordered the Profile from? Maybe they can help me locate that part and/or part number.

• maderawoodwork
    7 years ago

I ordered it from the Sears Outlet online. It was a floor model at a store in Holland, Ohio, phone # 419-867-8224. Maybe they will remember if it was cast iron. It is supposed to be delivered here in Maine next Friday, so I should know then. Keeping fingers crossed.

• highlander_drake
    7 years ago

Thank you So much, maderawoodworking. I got online with Sears, chatted with one of their reps, and they said I can order the cast iron version through them. Fingers crossed here too. Will post results next week when it arrives.

• maderawoodwork
    7 years ago

Hey, that's great news, in case mine only comes with the Teflon version!

• maderawoodwork
    7 years ago

My GE Profile PGB940ZEJSS stove arrived yesterday and it looks good for a scratch-n-dent, but NO griddle came with it! I called the Sears Outlet store in Ohio and they said they would send me the griddle. I requested the reversible cast iron grill/griddle (that is supposed to come with the stove) so we shall see!

• carnivore
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi, I'm the one who started this thread and posted the part number. I just did a Google search for WB31X20584 and had no problem finding plenty of matches for the part. In fact, the very first match is at GE Appliance Parts which shows it in stock for online ordering so i'm not sure why you're having problems.

Of course cast iron lasts forever so I haven't personally tried ordering another one to see for myself, but here's the GE link via Google:

https://www.geapplianceparts.com/store/parts/spec/WB31X20584

• onfrichuk12
    7 years ago

It is possible the person who ordered a cast one by the proper part number and recieved an aluminum one got a box that was mislabeled. I think they said it had WB31X20584 on the box and aluminum inside. It probably came right from the manufacturer that way. The cast one is not for the café series. The aluminum one is for the cafe series. And the aluminum one will not fit the other stoves. We just got lucky that the cast one fits our stoves. So I find tt hard to believe the part is discontinued. Since the guys at the repair clinic are so nice I would call them and have them check the rest of their stock and see what is actually in the box.

• Dennis Benjamin
    7 years ago

Any updates? I ordered the cafe range and would love to have a cast iron griddle. I searched for a while and can't find any griddles that are only 8.5" wide.

• maderawoodwork
    7 years ago

My new griddle arrived for the Profile stove from the Sears Outlet store and I'm so thankful to report it is indeed cast iron. I will measure it and take a photo for those folks who are looking for what is currently available that might fit the Cafe.

• Dennis Benjamin
    7 years ago

Great news! Thanks for following up - I ordered a WB31X20584 griddle from Sears PartsDirect, I'll let people know what I receive when it arrives.

• maderawoodwork
    7 years ago

Here is the new griddle that fits my GE Profile.

Dimensions are 19 3/8" long by 9 1/4" wide by 5/8" thick.

The four tabs (that make it possible for the griddle to sit on the grates on either side) are each about 1/2" wide, which makes the total width about 10 1/4." The handles on the ends where the tabs are located are about 13/16" thick.

• Cyndi Collen
    7 years ago

Hi Madera ... could you include the brand and part number / model number from the Sears Outlet?

• maderawoodwork
    7 years ago

WB31X24998

• playacalor
    7 years ago

I found this on Amazon for about the same price as Sears Parts Direct (just put the part # into Amazon's search box) .... unfortunately it won't fit on my GE Cafe gas range Model #CGS980SEM1SS. We bought the range in late 2007. My husband uses the griddle that came with it all the time but I hate anything Teflon, so I was looking for an alternative. I can't find one that is the right size for my range.

• playacalor
    7 years ago

So I received my grill/griddle, but it's a very rough surface... not sure it will work for cooking eggs, etc., so I'm returning it.

• onfrichuk12
    7 years ago

Almost all cast is rough these days. Manufactures don't polish the cooking surface the way they use to. I wouldn't return it. You should just season it. Once seasoned you can do pancakes and even eggs if you season well. Not to mention cooking steaks!

• maderawoodwork
    7 years ago

Mine came with a very rough surface, too. I washed, dried, and seasoned it, then cooked pancakes on it without any trouble.

• HU-323898406
    5 years ago

This is a long shot, but for anyone that has found a replacement, what is the model number for your GE café stove. I'm trying to track down a cast iron griddle that will fit a CGS985SET1SS.

I'm on my second Teflon coated aluminum one, and at this point feel as though I have poisoned my family enough!

Like previous commentators, I have multiple issues with GE customer service (seriously how hard is it to provide an email number)--they aren't even able to give me the dimensions of any of the parts, so I can see if they will fit.

• M
    5 years ago

Teflon doesn't really work for anything that needs to get really hot. If you just use it to sautee things, you might be ok. Pancakes often are cooked at lower heat. So that might do as well. But if you use it to sear meat, Teflon is inappropriate. It reportedly starts deteriorating at about 500°F. That's something you'll occasionally hit during high-heat cooking. And of course over time, Teflon seems to degrade no matter what.

• jlandreas
    5 years ago

I just got off the phone with GE. Yesterday I had sent an email to them regarding the poor quality of the griddle and they called today. She offered me a new griddle for $27.00 plus tax and shipping. It totaled $35.80.

• michaeljc70
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I cannot believe I just found this thread. My griddle is peeling and I even asked GE years ago if they had a cast iron griddle that would fit (they said no). I am ordering today. Wish I knew about this sooner (range is like 5 years old). It is $100 on Amazon with free shipping.

• olannhomes
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Just found this thread also! Same. Original Grill is very sub par, chipped and showing aluminum after 2 years of light to moderate use. GE is out of stock for the cast iron one, talked to GE part number is JXGRILL1, got it at Home Depot $115. thanks all!

• HU-679704825
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

***updated to include photo***

I was searching for a cast iron griddle/grill for the center of my GE cafe CGS990SET9SS and came across this thread. found part number WB31X20584 in here. was a little concerned whether or not it would actually be cast iron because a number of posts from years ago in this thread talked about confusion with GE and getting teflon coated aluminum using that part number. did a search with the part number and found it on partsdr.com a recent review of the part on partsdr.com stated that it was cast iron so i bought it. $111.51 plus $9.99 shipping got it to me in 3 days. opened it up and sure enough, its cast iron. like the original poster described, it doesnt fit perfectly on this range. wish i had paid more attention as maybe the JXGRILL1 would have worked better but i think the 20584 will work.

thanks, Obama!

• onfrichuk12
    2 years ago

I am glad it worked for you as well. It's not a perfect fit on the CGS990SET4SS but it is close enough and we really love it. Do you have a photo of the fit on your newer model?

• Cyndi Collen
    2 years ago

This thread was so hopeful for me several years ago and I bought the cast iron griddle mentioned here. It served me well for many years but I tired of the special cleaning, insecure fit, and performance. Earlier this year I bought a Chantal stainless and non-toxic non-stick griddle that fits perfectly over the original grate. I love this griddle and happy I retired the cast iron one.

• Christina Adcock
    2 years ago

Ty for info! im definately getting the cast iron one from where you suggested ty

• jtkaybean
    2 years ago

Ugh I think I ruined my skillet, #WB31X20584. Deeply gouged/pitted in several spots.I know it’s definitely cast iron,very heavy and I can see the iron on bottom of gouges. I read online deep gouged CI should be tossed?
    I gave it a good cleaning,oiling and cooking in 500degree oven now.

• jtkaybean
    2 years ago

I mean “griddle” not skillet lol