Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zuponcic

New Verona range

vedazu
10 years ago

I begin by saying that I have a Lacanche in my main home in NJ. I have now a second house in MN that I am remodeling a bit--especially the kitchen. I love enameled stoves, but my budget for this renovation is limited--I'm lucky to have found a good carpenter who has turned my old, simple birch cabinets into something quite pretty. So, having said that, I looked a long time at the options available to me at the price point I could afford: 2K would have been nice, but I could stretch it to 3K. I ordered the Verona in bisque from AJ Madison and two poor guys delivered it in 30 below zero weather last week. It was hooked up two days ago and I took it for a big test drive, roasting, baking and using the cooktop. It doesn't have the physical weight of the Lacanche, which is a bit of a tank, but it is a good solid, well made and beautiful --slightly contemporary--range. The burners are all responsive, the middle one comes with a wok ring, there is plenty of power and I think you can cook up quite a storm on this stove. I know there will be a learning curve because like all gas ovens, the temperatures are a bit vague. Each burner has its own ignition, unlike the Lacanche, where you have to hold down a button while turning the knob to ignite. There is a fan in the oven, lovely stainless top, and I have to admit that the oven racks are only a million percent better than the Lacanche. But we knew that. The grates are not as heavy as Lacanche , but very substantial and although they aren't advertised as continuous grates, they really are, exactly as the Lacanche.
Not quite sure why this well priced, pretty range hasn't taken off. We'll see how it holds up when I get a longer time to work with it, but so far, I'm very happy. By the way, the bisque color is quite ivory, and in the daylight looks pale yellow. Very pretty color but not completely neutral--you should see it before you choose paint colors.

Comments (164)

• uabchris
    5 years ago

Same here...following!!!

• uabchris
    5 years ago

before photo!!!

• Lisa Whelan
    5 years ago

I find that making a paste of baking soda and water is the best cleaner. I use it in the oven, on the oven window and on the top to clean the burner rings.

• PRO
    EuroChef USA
    5 years ago

@T we like to recommend 'Barry's Restore It All' brand - they have a Collar Rescue Kit that should work: https://www.barrysrestoreitall.com/product-page/collar-rescue-kit.

Should it not work you can certainly purchase replacements. Just call the EuroChef parts department at 631.254.3434 and they can assist you - please be sure to have your model # and serial # handy.

In order to prevent this from happening - we suggest the rings be wiped clean and dry with a smooth cloth and non-abrasive cleaner that is safe for an aluminum surface. This will prevent grease, residue, splatter, etc. from being cooked on during the next use.

We appreciate all of the feedback on everyone's Verona ranges - keep it all coming!

• spopar
    5 years ago
    I had looked at the Verona griddle, but decided against it for all the reasons stated including price. I purchased a 20-25$ griddle off amazon and use it on the left two rings. Absolutely perfect! I am very happy with how it is working for us!
  • uabchris
    5 years ago

I noticed that Amazon has this stove listed for $4600, FREE shipping, and NO TAX in many states!!! You can also get an additional 4-5 year AMAZON extended protection plan in addition to the 2 yr parts/labor Verona warranty... here is the LINK my Verona friends: https://amzn.to/2Heqw7e

• Lisa Spyker
    5 years ago

I am so afraid to switch up to a 36". I don't want to lose oven space. I love the look of the split ovens on the 36" Verona. Also, why are none of these self -cleaning? I know that sounds lazy, but really, I wonder why? I hate cleaning an oven. I have to decide by Monday on this and I just don't know what to do. I've read so many reviews that I am totally confused right now!!! I do cook alot. I'm just wondering if the 6" more space for the burners is worth it? Has anyone just bought a 36" cooktop and thenput a 30" stove under neath? Or does that look weird?

• Lisa Whelan
    5 years ago

I'm so happy with my 36" Verona. The extra space on top is worth it. My only regret is not getting the double oven, as I was worried about having enough space in the larger oven, which I think now was unfounded. I hate heating up the big single oven for one small thing. I have no issues with cleaning it manually. It cleans up pretty easily and it's much better than having to wait hours for a self cleaning oven to heat and stink up the house.

• uabchris
    5 years ago

@ Lisa Spyker, we just finished up a healthy discussion over on the MOHF Facebook group. I pinned it to to top of the page if you'd like to check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/myoldhousefix/

• uabchris
    5 years ago

Lisa Spyker. I agree with Lisa W. Pin all the points about cleaning and space. We were able to do away with our toaster oven, and for hearing all the small stuff, the small oven is priceless. Additionally, I can keep 3-4 side dishes warm in the small oven while a turkey, etc is cooking in the large oven. Do you have anything larger than a 25 lb turkey to cook? I have some interior photos oven on the GB page I referenced above, that may also help. It shows the inside, with trays, and all the addition al dimensional info is on the link to the kitchen resource page...jope All this helps and if you have anymore questions dont hesitate to ask.

• uabchris
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

We talk about cleaning over on the FB discussion too... (kitchen remodel blog pinned at the top)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/myoldhousefix/

More and more companies are doing away with the self cleaning because it gets soo hot, its literally cooking the internal electronics and creating fire hazards. My old Frigidaire smelled like an electrical fire when cleaning.

• D Witts
    5 years ago

Before buying from an Amazon merchant, I suggest people check that they are an authorized retailer for Verona. If they are not this may void the warranty. I think this is standard practice for many appliance manufacturers so maybe the case for this.

I do see that you say that uabchris says the Amazon protection plan applies but wouldn't that only kick in after the manufacturer's warranty has run its course? But perhaps I'm wrong on this as uabchris clearly seems to have the inside track on all things house :)

• Nilda
    5 years ago
    FYI: For our purchase (made in February) goedeckers.com had the best price for the black double oven with no tax and free shipping.
  • uabchris
    5 years ago

Hi everyone, Chris here again from My Old House"Fix". I just updated the the Verona comprehensive review over on our Farmhouse Kitchen Remodel Resource page - Verona info, Verona capacity - ovens, cooktop, baking sheet sizes, AND some greatly needed cleaning hacks - YES, for the dreaded, dirty

aluminum cooktop "burner caps", cast iron grates, and more. I was "following" for resolution on the burner cap cleaning issue last month, and decided to come up with a remedy in the meantime. These dirty burner caps were driving me n u t s, lol :) Pop over and check out the simple fix to clean these things!!! Cheers

https://myoldhousefix.com/kitchen-resources/

• uabchris
    5 years ago

@D Witts - Yes the warranty pass-thru is super important when buying from any seller, especially from Amazon. To ensure my info was correct from what is posted on the Amazon Verona listing, I followed up with the Amazon seller (Execuitve Appliance) to ensure they are an authorized Verona dealer, and they are. So, good news!

• Nilda
    5 years ago
    Finally in! I'm in love!
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

Bellissima!! ^^^^^

• R. Boquist
    5 years ago

@Nilda let us know how you like using your Verona! ;)

• Nilda
    5 years ago
    2 months with our Verona and loving it. Having 2 ovens is great, especially the little one for quick preheat and cooking. Burner flames are much stronger than any of our previous stoves so I've burnt things, but love the gas power. So far, so good. Plus, it's gorgeous!
  • PRO
    EuroChef USA
    5 years ago

@Nilda we are glad you love your Verona range! There may be an adjustment that you can make to get the flames on your burners a bit lower. Please call the service department at 631.254.3434 to inquire. Verona also offer simmer plates that can assist with lowering the temperature on the cooking surface that can be sold as an aftermarket accessory: http://veronaappliances.com/verona-accessories 

Happy Cooking!

• R. Boquist
    5 years ago
    Thanks, @nilda!
    Would you mind estimating for me the time it takes for each oven to get to, say, 350 degrees?
    And do you feel the oven temperatures are accurate?
  • deb
    5 years ago

uabchris - I believe you mention that the Nordic Ware half sheet pan fits in the larger oven? This has been a HUGE deciding factor for me, as I bake with it often. Can you confirm that it does indeed fit in the larger oven? Thanks!

• uabchris
    5 years ago

Hi Deb, check out the full review here, with pics. There are also pics of the pans in the ovens.

https://myoldhousefix.com/kitchen-resources/

• Shannon
    5 years ago
    We just installed the Verona single oven gas range in stainless. It’s a beautiful appliance! We are having an issue right out of the box. All of the cooktop igniters click when the range is plugged in and don’t stop clicking. The burners will light but then igniters don’t stop making the clicking noise. It’s only the cooktop not the oven. We were told to test the outlet and did - It’s reading normal. We were also told to look at the control box to make sure wires are hooked up properly. Those all appear to be in order as well. Caps are in correct position as are the knobs. Anyone else run into this problem?
  • PRO
    EuroChef USA
    5 years ago

@Shannon - I am not sure if you have been communicating with EuroChef USA directly on this matter or who is advising you to troubleshoot, but please make sure you call the EuroChef USA service department at 631.254.3434 to schedule an in-warranty service appointment.

• Oliver Boudreaux
    5 years ago

We've owned the 36" single for about 22 months and if I knew then what I know now I would have gone with a different brand. I keep the burner rings mostly clean with a scouring pad, some BKF and a lot more elbow grease than is reasonable. It probably takes 45 minutes to do a thorough cleaning of the cooktop.

The burner power is incredible. Quick sears and boiling several gallons are no problem with the large burners. Unfortunately, it really lacks capacity for low power cooking. The center burner is the only one that can be turned low enough to simmer. I have to use a diffuser on one of the "small" burners set on low to cook things like bacon evenly without scorching.

Moving down to the oven, the racks have this strange wire lip that seems almost like an afterthought to pass a safety certification. You have to reach over them to pull pans out and they don't seem to serve any real purpose than to burn knuckles. The only possible reason I could see for this feature is to prevent pans from sliding off of the rack if this range were installed on a ship or in a bounce house. Seeing as my house is quite stationary, these wire racks will have a date with my angle grinder soon.

My biggest pet peeve of this item has to be the oven scorching everything that isn't a braise. The oven floor is very thin and is the only thing between the bottom of your cookware and the burner. Using a calibrated thermometer, I cook baked goods a full 50 degrees (F) lower than I have with previous ovens and the bottoms are still overdone while the tops are barely browned, even at the top shelf. I think perhaps a slab of steel to cover most of the oven floor would solve this issue. It seems crazy that I would need a metal fabricator to make my over function as intended but here we are!

• R. Boquist
    5 years ago
    @OliverBoudreaux, thank you for sharing! Is your Verona all gas or dual fual?
  • Oliver Boudreaux
    5 years ago

Gas. Natural gas to be specific. Maybe the regulator was cranked up to 11 at the factory?

• PRO
    EuroChef USA
    5 years ago

@OliverBoudreaux thank you for sharing your experience with your Verona range.

In regards to the burner power - we do offer a simmer plate that can be used on any of the burners and will assist in obtaining a lower power under your pot or pan. You can source the plate here.

It is possible your regulator was not adjusted properly to your gas flow at install - you can call our service department to discuss the high heat matter you are experiencing in your oven cavity. This may also assist in lowering the power on your cooktop. Feel free to call EuroChef USA service at 631.254.3434 during standard business hours EST. Our service and sales team are happy to assist with any other questions you may have about your Verona range.

• lostinohio67
    5 years ago

I have the dual fuel and no problems with the ovens. I bake all my own bread, as well as desserts, so it sees heavy use. The biggest problem I've had with the ovens is burning myself, since they are smallish and the racks don't slide all that well. I've caught my knuckles a few times on the other rack or the sides.

Definitely agree that a simmer plate or two is a must have. With the simmer plate and heavy pans, simmering is pretty reliable on the back burners, still too hot in front unless you turn the knobs in the incorrect direction. If you turn from high towards off rather than low, the flame will get smaller. I was cooking on a 1960's coil top stove with an oven that could be regulated only by piling cookie sheets between the cooking item and the element, so the Verona has been heaven, and it fit in the odd space I had.

• vedazu
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I started this topic many moons ago, and now, after having spent a few weeks across the holidays in the house in which the Verona resides, I experienced exactly the same problem that Oliver describes. After scorching tray after tray of cookies, and pound cakes that were black on the bottom and almost raw at the top, I went out and bought a new oven thermometer. At #3, the temperature was 300 degrees...a little low. at #3 and a half, it jumps up to 375. Could it be the fact that the oven is very large? I don't have that problem with my Lacanche gas oven. Maybe, to heat that large space the gas has to be "on" more. I don't know. Is there an equivalent of a simmer plate to lay on the bottom rack that could help?

• uabchris
    5 years ago

Oliver, i have a dual fuel and no issues with the oven, but share the same with the burners...ttthey are all too powerful. My service tech showed me a way to "dial in" the oven - up or down...i wonder if e same can be done with the cook top?

• vedazu
    Original Author
    5 years ago

ubachris.....what doe this mean: dial in the oven?

• vedazu
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Eurochef: I went to the website to order a simmer plate and it doesn't present a link to purchase....just a picture of it. Where can this be purchased?

• spopar
    5 years ago

Thank you all. Could someone explain how you “dial in” the oven?

• Wrangler Tag
    4 years ago

Does anyone know how to remove the knobs on these Verona ranges? I want to adjust the flame but can't seem to get the knob off!

• PRO
    EuroChef USA
    4 years ago

@Wrangler Tag feel free to call the Verona tech line at 631.254.3434 and they can assist you to properly make any adjustments you feel needed.

• Dana Moody
    3 years ago

Just moved into a home with a Verona oven. Have the owners manual but not answering specific questions... maybe someone here can?

I purchased an internal oven thermometer since the Verona doesn’t have a digital temp readout. So that has helped... can anyone tell me which setting they use for baking? bake, conv bake, fan oven,?

and which rack do you bake on? I’m doing ok with cooking...it’s just the baking (which is more precise) any helpful hints/tips are much appreciated! Thank you!

• vedazu
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Maybe a little help: I suppose it depends on how big the oven is. I have two houses, and my house in NJ has a Lacanche Cluny with small ovens. The Verona is in Minnesota, and it is all gas, with a very large oven. I find it hard to bake evenly in it....I pre-heat the oven for a good long time...15 or 20 minutes, with an oven thermometer, and try to stay in the middle of the rack--the back gets hot. I use the general indications on the temperature knob, but keep an eye on the oven thermometer to make sure it doesn't get hotter.

• Dana Moody
    3 years ago

Thanks. It’s a dual oven so they are small and smaller. This is the first oven I have baked/cooked with that doesn’t have a preheat setting or a temp readout. And it’s totally throwing me off for some reason. And the dials seem to have a lot of wiggle room between the actual settings mark. I know it’s going to be trial by error.... just trying to find others who have one and their experiences with it. Thank you!

• phyllis_kauflin
    3 years ago

Hi Dana,

We've had our dual oven (electric), gas range for about 7 years and love it. I've found that the oven takes a long time to pre-heat and bakes hotter in the rear. I sometimes rotate to even it out. I bake on the second from bottom rack, broil from second from the top rack (sometimes on the top rack) and roast on the bottom rack. The low setting on the range tends to run hotter has well, so I've been using flame tamers (for anything requiring a long simmer). Hope this helps!

• Dana Moody
    3 years ago

Great info! Thank you!

• lostinohio67
    3 years ago

I have a dual fuel range with the two ovens. For something like cookie baking where the tendency is for the bottoms to get too brown, I use fan bake. The cookies will usually take a few extra minutes. For vegetables or meat I use convection bake, and just plain bake for bread or cakes. I also use convection bake for when I need the oven at its hottest, such as for pizza. I've never had a digital temperature display on any oven, so I'm comfortable with the. dials. I tend to be moderately casual about temperature, and I never bother to decrease the temperature if I'm using convection, but I will watch the time.

• Dana Moody
    3 years ago

Thanks! I’m taking notes!

• HU-729627599
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi! Has anyone used EZ Off or another oven cleaner? Heating lemons or using a baking soda paste isn’t working for me. Thanks for your advice/suggestions.

• phyllis_kauflin
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Yes. I use EZ Off, works great and the oven looks almost new (I've not sprayed on the rear fan area)

• Darynda Klein
    2 years ago

Anyone have the Verona 36 electric range and thiugts?

• itsourcasa
    2 years ago

@Darynda Klein wondering the same, let me know if you find any reviews!

• J S
    last month

Thanks to Phyllis_K for the ONLY long term follow up performance review.