Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Electric over Gas Range

Posted by AnnInCharleston (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 21:40

Have any of you ever chosen an electric range (not an induction) over a gas or dual fuel range and enjoyed the results of your decision? My old gas range oven is shot and its time to replace the range. The code has changed and now requires the gas range to be vented to the outside but mine is on an interior wall. The vent I have (don't gasp) is the vent on my over the range microwave. I will miss gas cooking very much, but at this point it would be too much hassle to go through the venting, researching BTU's, hood requirements, etc. I'm thinking about getting an electric range for the shear simplicity of the situation. Have any of you chosen electric over gas and found happiness with the decision?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Electric over Gas Range

Two questions:

Are you sure that in your locale any gas range needs to vented, not just high-powered ones?

If you're only replacing an appliance and not doing a bigger remodel, are you sure you need a permit and inspection?

This post was edited by weissman on Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 23:40

o
RE: Electric over Gas Range

Thank you. No, I wouldn't need a permit and inspection to replace one appliance, but I was told that in new homes in this area now, it's code to vent to the outdoors for carbon monoxide safety. My old GE Profile gas range gives off a gas odor that is detectable by people walking into the kitchen when I have the oven on. I've had the gas company and GE here many times to check and they say there's no problem but I'm tired of smelling the gas smell and having others comment on it. I'm assuming it's because it just recirculates.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here