Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fabbric

Electrolux Icon All-Refrigerator intial review

fabbric
11 years ago

First off a big thank you to everyone (especially rhome410!) who posted pictures and reviews of this fridge. I was hesitant to buy because of poor reviews a few years ago but now I'm thrilled I did.

The delivery guys were ready to install the fridge but I somehow mismeasured at least 3 times and it was too tall so our liquor cabinet went bye-bye. It took me a while to level it properly as dh wasn't home to help. It does not come with rollers which I didn't know but it wouldn't have affected my purchase decision anyway. If you have wood floors keep this in mind as I'm sure it would scratch the floor. The trim kits come with rollers so when we eventually buy the freezer we'll get the kit.

We've had it in for just over 24 hours and I keep opening the door just to watch the LEDs ramp up. There was lots of room to spare after I moved everything from our full-size Maytag. It comes with 3 glass shelves with stainless edging, a "cool zone" drawer (meat/deli drawer), a space below that and then one single produce drawer across the width of the fridge. This drawer has 3 dividers and 2 sliding baskets across the top of them. I am still a bit unsure about this drawer as I have apples in one section and everything else is veggies. I'm not sure how to control the humidity for both.

In the door I can fit 3 gallons of milk and a 2L carton on one shelf! A bonus I wasn't expecting. There are 3 adjustable door bins above the gallon shelf and a dairy bin and at the bottom of the door another condiment shelf. Right beneath the gallon shelf are the "perfect bins" in which I'll be putting yoghurt within easy reach for the kids. Maybe I'll put the apples in there. I'm not sure yet.

Now for the bad...it is a bit noisier than I expected but it is sitting at the end of a cabinet run so one side is open to a hallway. When we eventually remodel it will be fully enclosed. It isn't a bothersome noise but I do notice when it starts up. On the back of the refrigerator at the bottom where the compressor is, the opening is not covered by a perforated steel plate but *cardboard*. I was frankly shocked that a 2k fridge would have that. I called Electrolux Canada to ask if the cardboard was for shipping and needed to be discarded and she said it was to remain in place.

OTOH, the kick plate in the front is stainless steel now whereas I think it was white plastic before and the rest of the fridge is grey, much nicer than white I think. I love the full-length handle as well.

Overall, I'm really happy with the fridge and I will post an update in a few months. I hope this helps anyone else that is thinking of purchasing this fridge.

Comments (5)

• alex9179
    11 years ago

Very nice.

For the produce drawer, I keep it at veggie humidity because we have way more of those in there than fruit. I also keep apples in a narrow area and they haven't suffered. A container of strawberries will fit in the small bins that slide. I don't worry about storing those because the kids eat the entire thing in one sitting.

Interesting that yours isn't on rollers. My older model is. They cause a bit of an issue since the family thinks you have to yank on the door to open it. You really don't. My fridge moves around because of the heavy handedness.

• rhome410
    11 years ago

I don't think mine are at all noisy, but that is a matter of opinion and comparison, for which we may differ. Also, ours are more enclosed.

We don't have a space under the meat drawer, but another drawer. Do you only have 2, but we have 3? So I can keep the bottom drawer full of apples and other produce in the drawer above. We have dividers, but no baskets...and no stainless trim inside.

Yours sounds nice! I hope you enjoy it and it lasts and lasts for you. :-)

• fabbric
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't really think they're noisy but I think I'm more aware of it because of all the reviews I read complaining about Elux/Frigidaire noise. DH doesn't hear anything. I'm just more noise-sensitive in general.

And yes, I have only 2 drawers and not 3 but so far that isn't an issue. I'm really enjoying the fridge so far and I can't wait until it's properly built in.

• teal123
    10 years ago

Just wondering if you are still happy with your icon all ref rig purchase? I'm considering one. Also, did you get a joiner or surround kit to put the fridge and freezer together? Thanks so much!

• martinkk333
    10 years ago

Ours was delivered last week. We got the ICON All Fridge and Freezer. They are running and full of food, but not 'installed' yet, because our cabinets won't be here until Feb. 12th. We have the same setup as fabb. Another drawer under the meat drawer would be nice! I, too, am sensitive to noise and have remarked about how quiet they are. Ours are nearly silent which I am thankful for. We did get the kit, but won't put it in til the cabs go in. So far so good. Good luck with your decision teal123. I was glad when this one was made and so far, I think we're good.