Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
comom27

Induction-Bosch Benchmark vs Wolf - 36"

comom27
9 years ago

Posted a general "all appliance help" question the other day and now I'm getting down to more specifics. I've decided to replace my gas cooktop with induction-based on suggestions here and now...

I like the idea of Flex Induction on the Bosch and I think the hobs have individual timers. The appliance sales rep thought I should also consider the Wolf-both of these models can accommodate a griddle.

Any feedback on either of these? I looked at the Thermador Freedom but for that price it should be able to handle five vessels but can only track four.

Thanks in advance

Comments (15)

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I have the older Wolf but the newer 5 way bridge looks interesting
    Mine cooks well and I can slow cook or blast a pot of water.

It does pulse at low settings and I have an LED light causing interference which makes the buzzing louder when the light is on. I don't notice it very much with the fan running.

I love the appearance and how it cooks.

At the same time, the sleek look makes it harder to see the burner as almost invisible black on black.

Bridging may not be all that it is cracked up to be as no heat goes between the bridge burners so the middle area only gets referred heat. Definitely would recommend a clad pan vs steel for bridging.

I believe the Bosch has individual timers for each burner. The Wolf has only one timer and no auto shutdown. I am not sure I would like multiple timers or shut down as I feel too many timers already.

The Wolf burners vary on intensity, so be sure to get the description for each burner Hard to explain but a middle setting on mega burner is different than the middle setting on little burner.

Wolfie will be 3 in May and looks like I just installed it yesterday.

• comom27
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks a2gemini, I appreciate your feedback. I thought the timer thing was intriguing but not really a deal breaker. On the new Wolf it looks like the four "bridge" burners are all of equal power and then the single burner is stronger. I understand what you are saying that "medium" varies by burner strength.

Glad to hear you're still happy with your purchase, now that I've learned about induction, I'm excited to make the switch.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

comom27, I just wanted to add (while knowing nothing about either particular unit) that I have a Bosch induction cooktop with individual hob timers, and I love them. I use them almost every day -- oatmeal, rice, anything that can cook and sit (and therefore doesn't have to be watched once you have the temperature/timing down).

• comom27
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks a2gemini & sjhockeyfan,

I actually love the idea of the individual timers. I could use them on several of my "regular" recipes and it would make me more comfortable as I teach my children to cook - trust that the burner will turn off if they are called to a crazy social emergency ;).

I love the idea of a laser thermometer - is that what I search for on Amazon? Is that one of the ways to test oven temps too or would I need to get the internal thermometers for that?

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Ours came from Thermoworks.
    They had one for $39 before the holiday but DH always wants the best. He bought one with the circle IR and a probe. We didn't need the probe because we have the Thernopen also. I use my TP all of the time. The IR was a Christmas present this year.
    I don't think it would work for oven temp but others might know the answer. You just point to an object and get the temp of the object.

Whichever induction you buy, you will love it. There is a learning curve. I generally preheat my pan for 1-2 minutes before sautéing and with my new toy, I can verify the pan temp.

No matter which unit you purchase, there will be noises but even gas makes noise- just different noises. One GWer said there induction did not buzz and posted a YouTube video - it made noise just like mine. With the fan running, it is hard to hear the noises.

Pans- if the magnet sticks- they work. I have an eclectic collection of pans for my induction. All Clad, CIA, LeCr, ScanPan, Staub and more- but only one of each size except for 2.5 qts- I have 2 of this size.

Here is a link that might be useful: IR laser

• dodge59
    9 years ago

"One GWer said there induction did not buzz and posted a YouTube video - it made noise just like mine"

Well, that was me!

The noise that you heard was the noise water gives off, with any source of heat, as it just begins to boil.

The camera is right up next to the hobs on the cooktop.
    I would invite you to listen to the noise, (or lack of it) until the water justs starts to boil, and then listen again after the water is fully boiling, all you hear is the water boiling.

I even, whispered so you could compare noise levels, and the camera's microphone was next to the pan, and not my lips.

Anyway, watch the video for yourselves and make up your own minds!

How about a video of your Wolf, a2gemini.

Now all of this doesn't matter that much anymore, as Electrolux no longer makes the cooktop I bought!!!superceeded by newer models.

I still think you may enjoy the video, however.

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: Does it or doesn't it?

• kitchengirl
    9 years ago

Comom27 (and a2gemini),
    Are you ruling out the 36" Thermador standard induction cooktop, #CIT-365 (~$3K)? I thought this was a great choice, with a lot of power and two identical power burners above/below each other for a griddle/grill pan? Or do you dislike the brand rather than its features?

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Gary - LOL
    I was trying to be discreet. I will watch yours again and make one of my own. Just like yours, my Wolfie isn't made anymore. (See comment above)

KG- I am not in the market for a long time - hopefully.

Common- if I were buying today, I would try to get to demo centers to test drive a few models. Let us know your decision. I am not trying to sway you one way or the other.

• Daniel
    9 years ago

I'm hoping the Miele KM 6386 will come to the United States in time for our kitchen remodel. All 5 elements can accommodate 4 different pan sizes and the rightmost two elements can combine. I just wish I could get this element layout with the Gaggenau spinning knob. :-)

We looked at the Flex, but those are limited to 4 pans and the touchscreen controls makes me cringe.

Below is a link to the Canadian version of the Miele KM 6386.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canadian version of the Miele KM 6386

• comom27
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello again,
    @kitchengirl, I hadn't seen that model and will check it out. It is so overwhelming looking at all of these appliances at the same time.
    @DanielStutzbach - I thought the Flex could accommodate 5 pans - I know the Freedom can only track 4. Am I wrong on this?

I've seen a couple of them in action. I did not like the controls on the Dacor.

• Daniel
    9 years ago

Oops, yes. I was thinking of the Freedom.

• comom27
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After checking several of these out - I'm still leaning toward the Bosch with FlexInduction.

That said, dh & I stopped by the appliance store yesterday and were speaking with a salesperson that had been on an install of this unit last week.

He mentioned that when they were testing it he could see the seam between the two elements under the hob. If you look at the innards of this unit, the elements are more oval in shape, there are four of them in a row which creates the 'flex' oblong shape.

Cooktops with round hobs have the element under the entire hob - but when they 'bridge' there are gaps along the way. I was told that the electromagnetism extends about an inch around the hob (maybe why you can use larger pans on a smaller hob).

So, should I be concerned about when I use individual pots/pans rather than when I use a griddle (which would be much less often). Would a bridging system be sufficient.

Has anyone used the flex induction consistently? I have not really been able to find a user review on it.

TIA.
    Marie

I'm trying to attach a .jpg of the innards of the Flex.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I think that looks great! The bridge is a true bridge and should work with a variety of pan sizes!

• skowalski
    8 years ago

We have the bosch flexinduction and love it.