Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
llhilly

Can't get Electrolux range 'cook time' feature to work

pudgybaby
13 years ago

I am trying to use the 'cook time' feature on my Electrolux induction range, but it's not working. This feature is new to me (I had a featureless electric coil range before this one!), so I hope it's user error...

I want to cook at 500 degrees for one hour (seasoning a cast iron pan). I follow the directions on page 25 of the link below (pdf of the owners manual), starting with a cold oven. There are little red triangles above the features on the control panel that lights up when the feature is activated. It is red for maybe 10 seconds after setting the cook time and pressing start, but then the red light goes out. I can get cook time to work but only if I use it in conjunction with the 'end time' feature.

Has anyone tried this feature and got it to work? Can you please walk me through it? I will call E'lux customer service next week if I can't get it to work by then.

TIA!

Comments (26)

• pudgybaby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Cook time is on page 25

• chac_mool
    13 years ago

Not sure I understand you, but try this sequence of commands:

1. turn on controls by touching the control panel
    2. select upper oven (since lower oven only goes to 450)
    3. select bake
    4. set temp. (500), using numeric keypad (on the right)
      (Note: oven should begin pre-heating now)
    5. select cook options
    6. select cook time
    7. set start time (7:00, say), using numeric keypad
    8. select end time
    9. set end time (e.g., 8:00), using numeric keypad
    10. select start (just right of cancel, below the timers)

Let me know if this doesn't do what you want it to.

HTH

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

I just tried it.

First, you are using the upper oven, correct? The lower oven will only heat to 450, so if you try to set it to 500, it will just turn off.

I followed the directions on that page of the owner's manual, and it ''seems'' to be working for me. The little red triangular lights stay on, and the oven is on. I say ''seems'' because the timer starts counting down as soon as I push start (which agrees with the manual), before the oven is preheated. My oven turned off when the timer reached zero. This seems rather silly, because if you set the Cook-Time option for 500 degrees and 15 minutes, and the oven turns off at 15 minutes, that will be well before it actually reaches 500 degrees. Also, whatever you put in the oven is going to be exposed to the preheating mechanism with the upper element and convection element turning on, which may not be desirable for a particular food.

If you talk to E'lux, post their response, because while my oven seems to be doing what it's designed to do, the design itself doesn't seem very useful.

• llaatt22
    13 years ago

let's try something quick and simple to begin with:

select "upper oven"
    press "bake" select 300 for temp
    press "start"
    press "cook options"
    press "cook time" enter 10 (min)
    press "start"

If it works correctly try your settings.

This is how the Kenmore works by using two "starts". Worth a try.

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

Did you type in '60' for 60 minutes or '1' for one hour?

• chac_mool
    13 years ago

Yes, you do have to press start after setting the oven temp, for it to begin pre-heating -- I left that out, above: lets call that step 4.5. It still works, without that new step, just won't begin pre-heating yet.

You can enter time of day (e.g., 10:10pm) or time-duration (e.g., 60 min.), or both (e.g., beginning at 10:10, cook for 60 min.), under cook options : start time / end time. [Seems simplest to just specify a time-duration, but it may be convenient to have the oven heat something shortly before you come home.]

Looks like my oven tries to go for it if I give it a silly time duration (like 500 degrees, for 5 minutes), but turns off if I give it equally silly cooking times (like, 500 degrees, from 10:00 to 10:10p). That seems weird.

• pudgybaby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for your help! I thought that I would come back to this thread this morning with no comments, so I was really wowed by all of your help.

weedmeister solved it. It was a 60 min vs 1 hour problem. Works fine following the instructions in the manual exactly when I put in "100" (for 1 hour) but does not work when I put in "60" (for 60 minutes).

And yes, I am using the upper oven.

Chac_mool: I don't think that you can put in a time of day for the cook time. It has to be a cook time in hours and minutes. But the end time MUST be a time of day. I could be wrong, but how would the oven distinguish the difference between 1:30 as a time of day and an hour and thirty minutes? The first time I tried the cook time with an end time I put in 45:00 wanting 45 minutes, but of course this was 45 hours! I put in an end time that was about 3 hours away, and it started pre-heating. I have no idea when it would have stopped, but maybe 45 hours later?

chac_mool and laat2: I don't think that you need to push start after putting in the oven temp (at least on the E'lux), but doing that would start the preheating. I can see how it would be useful to set the cook time after the preheating is done, say when I pop something into the oven, which I believe is the equivalent to pushing the start after setting the temp. I will try this.

warmfridge: you are right that the cook time includes the preheating time, so this feature isn't all that useful. However, I used it successfully, with the end time feature, to leave a lasagna in the oven and have it ready to eat when we returned 3 hours later. When I was setting the oven to do this, I wasn't sure if the cook time included the preheating time or not, but I figured it did based on the comment in manual that the timer would begin counting down immediately. I set the lasagna time as I would have I had popped it into a preheated oven, and it came out fine, not over or underdone. So I think casseroles are an example of foods that can work with this feature, maybe with a time adjustment, because they can tolerate the preheating phase. And since I'm a mid-west girl, I do a fair number of casseroles :o)

Thanks again, everyone! And I must say, I love this range even though it has the quirk of not accepting 60 minutes for one hour!

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

Glad you got it straightened out. I have to admit that I'm still trying to figure out when and how some of these features can be useful. It took 4 services visits to get the temp control in my upper oven to work accurately, and the bottom oven still isn't right, so I haven't had the chance to play around with all the options. Have either of you proofed bread or used the slow cook feature?

• pudgybaby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, I haven't used the bread proofing or slow cook features. I am not a bread baker, so I don't think that I will use that one, but I may eventually use the slow cook.

I read about your oven temp troubles. That made me run out and get an oven thermometer and check mine. My oven is within 5 degrees of the thermometer (which I did not calibrate - I just assumed that it was correct because I can't think of a way to calibrate it!). I don't get big swings at all. I've only seen it move about 5 degrees once it's actually preheated. It does need 10 min or so after the preheat chime sounds to stabilize at the requested temp.

I guess I'm not counting on the bottom oven to be anything but within +/- 25 degrees of what I want. I would never bake in that oven. I only do things like potatoes and casseroles in that oven, and even then I put a rack in that raises the pan higher off of the floor or things tend to burn on the bottom.

I'm glad that you got the top oven temp problem corrected. What was the problem?

One other thing: I tried setting the cook time after the oven preheat chime sounded, and that works great. When the cooking time is complete, it chimes, but then continues to chime every 15 sec or so until you hit cancel. I like that the chime continues since the it's so quiet (even though I have mine set at max volume). I will use the cook time feature more because of that.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

Both ovens had temp swings of 75 degrees on either side of the set temp. After replacing the control panel (twice) and both oven temp sensors, the top oven is fine. The bottom oven still has temp swings and overheats, although not as bad. As you noted, things burn on the bottom. I've tried stacking the rack from the broiler pan on top of the regular rack but it hasn't helped and pans slide around too much. My next fix is a baking stone on top of the single rack to see if that helps modulate the heat. One of the main reasons I bought this range was the second oven...it's been a big disappointment that it's not very functional.

• chac_mool
    13 years ago

Pudgybaby, glad you got this figured out. I'll keep playing with mine.

You can calibrate a thermometer by putting it in ice water, which should read 32 degrees F (or 0 C). Strongly boiling water should be 212 degrees F (100 C) if you're at sea level, but will be less at higher elevations -- maybe 205 degrees F at one mile elevation.

• macybaby
    13 years ago

I also like using the timed feature. I use this for things like pies were I need to turn the temp down after 15 mn. I preheat the oven and once preheated- then I set it for 15 min at 450 deg and maybe an hour at 350deg -longer than needed because I don't want the oven to actually shut off on me. Then I use the timer just like normal - usually set 5 min short of the time so I can check on the pie and finish up baking as needed.

I also adore my proofing cycle. I keep my house cool in the winter (around 65) and this works great- very dependable getting dough to rise. I set it around 90 though, not the default of 100.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

That's a good idea for the pies. And I didn't realize the proofing cycle could be set for 90...I thought I had to use the default and 100 seemed too high to me. I need to reread the manual (again).

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

Not being able to type in '60' for 60 minutes sounds like a bug to me. I was reading the manual for the freestanding version and that sample is in there. My microwave will accept '60' for one minute, or '90' for 1:30sec. '130' is 1min 30sec.

Since the oven works in 1 minute increments, '60' should have been interpreted as 60 minutes, not an error or an invalid entry which appears to be what happened.

• pudgybaby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree, weedmeister, and it's a bug that should be easy to fix. My old microwave worked like yours does.

But thanks so much for figuring it out!

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

I tried this on an Electrulux freestanding range. '60' was converted to '100' and then decremented to '59'. IIRC, it was UpperOven/Bake/350/CookOptions/CookTime/60/Start.
    It displayed '100', then '59'. The temp started at '100' and went up from there.

• chac_mool
    13 years ago

Yes. On my slide-in E'lux induction range, entering a cook time of 60 displays as 1:00 (HR:min) and begins counting down, starting at 59 (minutes). Entering 100 for the cook time does the same thing.

• pudgybaby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Weird. Following weedmeister's instructions, mine shows 60, but when I push start the display goes back to the time of day and the red triangle indicator goes out. Only works if I enter 100 for the cook time.

Mine is also an E'lux induction slide in.

• chac_mool
    13 years ago

Pudgybaby, this is weird. Can you say when you bought your E'lux, or (even better) when it was built? I'm wondering if you have a slightly newer (or older) revision of the software/firmware for these controls.

[FWIW, I bought mine in late June 2010; not sure when it was built -- I'm not at home right now.]

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

I just checked mine. Like PB, I have to enter 100 for 1 hour. If I enter 60 for 60 minutes, the cooktime option shuts off. Interestingly, I can use either number for the timer feature. FWIW, the sticker on mine says May 2010 (I bought it in June).

Regarding the lower oven, I put a baking stone in it, and checked the temps with 2 different oven thermometers. The temp swings seem better...within 25 degrees of the set temp. There is still a 35 degree gradient between the right rear and left front of the oven though. Will try baking again this weekend to see if things still burn on the bottom.

• chac_mool
    13 years ago

OK, according to its tag (inside left wall, visible when oven door is open), my EW30IS65JSA was built in Canada, June 2010. [Ordered late June; installed early August.]

I'm beginning to suspect a change in (at least) the firmware program for this control around May / June 2010. Perhaps E'lux's customer service people can shed some light on this, given the difference in how two samples of the same model operate differently.

[Regarding the lower oven, I still think this was designed for pizzas -- maybe not the ones you make from scratch, but supermarket frozen ones. It could work for roasting chestnuts, too -- then, if you get a pet squirrel, he could watch through that little window...] :-)

• pudgybaby
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mine was one of the first: March 2010 made in Canada. And like warmfridge, the timer works fine with 60 or 100. I ordered mine as soon as I read about it here (Feb?) with delivery in late May, IIRC. Hopefully this is the only quirk/bug that I have due to ordering one of the first off the line...

LOL, chac_mool: I'm picturing a cute little squirrel!

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

Well, I'm danged if I'm getting a pet squirrel just so I can use that oven. I will, I repeat I will, find a way to make the lower oven functional for normal baking.

• dodge59
    13 years ago

Yes, Warmfride, that thing sounds "Squirrely enough", already!!

Unsigned

• DSchurr99
    12 years ago

I'm having trouble using the End Time on my Electrolux oven, too, and wondered if you could help.

the problem is that after I enter everything and hit "start," it begins pre-heating the oven immediately, even though I don't want it to star cooking for hours.

It's 3:45pm. I want it to cook for 60 minutes at 425 and end at 6:45pm. Here's what I'm doing:

1. Select lower oven
    2. Press BAKE
    3. Enter 425 (temperature)
    4. Press COOK OPTIONS
    5. Press COOK TIME
    6. Enter 60 for 60 minutes (display says 60 minutes)
    7. Press END TIME
    8. Enter 6:45 (for 6:45pm. display says 6:45)
    9. Press START

Oven starts pre-heating immediately, which is not right. It should not start for another two hours (6:45pm - 60 mins = 5:45pm). The display says TIME REMAINING and says 3:00

??

• Grand
    3 years ago

Hi! My Electrolux stove is only showing 3 numbers for the time for instance at 12:25 it only says it’s 2:25. Does anyone have any tips?