Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caitlinmagner

How important is it to you to have "matching" appliances?

caitlinmagner
11 years ago

To me, it's not very important. I want those appliances that best fit my needs, whatever the manufacturer may be. On the other hand, I don't want my kitchen to have a completely disjointed look by having, say, a Bosch cook top, an electrolux oven, a wolf steam oven, a Liebherr fridge, and a miele DW. (that is my current wishlist :) ) Do you think it makes a difference?

Totally in the other direction, I'm considering SZ fridge, Wolf 48 in dual fuel, and asko DW - they are all the same company and repairs would be easy and it would all match for a cohesive look.

Comments (22)

• preemiemom0703
    11 years ago

I'm with you. I'd rather have the appliance that best meets my needs rather than a "suite" of matching appliances. I think you can get a cohesive look without completely matching. All stainless or black and stainless appliances, for example. And you can stick with a "look," as long as you don't try to incorporate something extremely different like a La Corunfe. ;)

Then again, you could always throw one dramatic "eye catcher" into the mix and the remainder be understated. I would have LOVED to buy a refurbished red O'Keefe & Merritt range. Darn 30" cut out!

• caitlinmagner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

good point, preemiemom. I plan on panelling the refrigerator and possibly the dw. The cooktop is very neutral, just being like a piece of black glass. So really, I think it comes down to the ovens and being able to get the handles to somewhat match.

• Peke
    11 years ago

Not important to me other than color. I just bought the Frigidaire All Freezer and All Refrigerator, a Bosch dishwasher, a Jenn-Air trash compactor, a BlueStar rangetop, and an American Range Dual-Fuel stacked convection ovens with double french doors. None of mine match except for stainless steel. I am betting my vent hood won't match either...if I ever find one for a good price. Go with what you want.Peke

• elamom
    11 years ago

I don't think it matters so long as they are all stainless, etc. We're doing Blue Star rangetop, Electrolux double oven, Miele DW and LG fridge (all stainless except the DW is going to be paneled). Our real estate agent said different brands don't affect resale negatively so long as the finish is consistent and having the good appliances gives them good "catch phrases" for later sale (if relevant to you).

• dodge59
    11 years ago

I actually bought the Electrolux refrigerator handles for my built in and paneled Jenn-air Fridge.

My miele optima "Semi Integrated" (The control panel shows), DW just happened to have curved handles like my icon oven and speed oven and the "Modified JA Fridge". Of course if you get a fully integrated DW then you don't have to worry about matching handles.

Gary

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Mixed for us also
    Wolf E series single oven
    GE monoagram advantium 240
    Elux fridge
    Miele DW
    Wolf cooktop

The fridge and DW were reuse items (only 1.5 years old at start of reno)

• friedajune
    11 years ago

I could care less that my appliances aren't match-matchy. There have been so many posts on this topic, and I know people want to save money by buying "packages", but I am not sure they are doing themselves a favor in the long run.

BTW, people who are concerned about their stainless steel shade matching should be aware that often the stainless steel doesn't match even within the same brand. Just go to an appliance store and look, and you will see. Also, if you get all the same brand appliances, and one breaks, and you have a problem with customer service, think about that you will be stuck with that same customer service for all your appliances, since you bought all the same brand.

And, people who think they are getting all the same brand don't realize that some of the appliances in the package they just bought are re-badges of other brands. Microwaves in particular are mostly made by Sharp and Panasonic, so when you buy a Wolf microwave, you are paying double for the same MW made by Sharp. A Viking fridge is made by Amana, Asko makes a number of dishwashers for other names. There's nothing wrong with buying a re-badge if you want the matchy door, but I object to the higher prices for them.

You also do not need to have your appliances be all stainless. A mix of white and stainless or black and stainless can look beautiful.

• nlion
    11 years ago

The matchy-matchy appliance packages seem to be a hallmark of mass-produced homes where the builder supplies the suite of matching appliances. They have different appliance suite packages, depending on the price of the home. I think different brand appliances, individually selected for their particular specific features, are a more "custom" approach more often found in the higher end homes.

• caitlinmagner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the feedback. I had no issue with mixing and matching but one of the kitchen designers I spoke with made me question that. a2gemini, your kitchen looks great!

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

Personally, I don't buy an appliance for how the handles look. I buy it for how it does its job.

• friedajune
    11 years ago

Kitten1313 - I would avoid that KD. It sounds like either s/he is still designing kitchens circa 1998, or, s/he often provides for clients an appliance package as part of the design, thereby adding to her fee. If you are trying to choose a KD among several, that's an easy one to cross off your list.

• summerbabies
    11 years ago

All of our appliances are different makers. I just went with stainless to integrate. I think it's more important to get the best appliance for you in each category.

• alex9179
    11 years ago

I would absolutely buy a matching suite of appliances if I was putting my house up for sale because I'd take my stainless Elux all fridge, Bosch DW, and aluminum Gagg with me.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Alex - too funny but I agree - it took me a second read to get it!

Kitten - thanks - on the other side is the Miele DW and the Wolf cooktop - maybe I should have gone with the thermador cooktop just to make sure I didn't repeat - but the reality, I went with function first, looks second. Some day, I might put a panel on the DW but for now it is fine - and Miele SS doesn't fingerprint for some reason...

Summer - gorgeous kitchen and counter - what is that thing at the right of yoyur counter?

• Fori
    11 years ago

I don't care as long as they don't look stupid together.

• robert_sett
    11 years ago

No single manufacturer makes excellent appliances across the entire line - everyone excels at different things - so getting the whole set just to match the finish/handles/displays means sacrificing function for the sake of looks.

The only time it makes sense to buy a single-maker package is if the appliance dealer is giving you a HUGE discount, or as Alex said, you're selling/renting the property. (BTW, that was pretty funny!)

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

It isn't important to me at all, however I did just buy a suite of appliances due to a tremendous sale! I was buying two Bosch Dishwashers and induction stovetop and would get an extra 10% off the whole order if I ordered the double oven, though the oven was probably the least important appliance to me, so I'm sure the Bosch one will more than meet my needs! :)

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Good food for thought thread.

a2gemini and alex9179-have you had any problems with your Electrolux refrigerators? Do you mind sharing their model numbers?

I've been looking at the 36" and like the look, set up and lights. Some negative comments are out their about the newer Electrolux refrigerators: ice maker, noisy, layout, reliability, although this is true for other manufacturers too.

Wondering what your experience has been like. TIA.

• alex9179
    11 years ago

SparklingWater, I have an all-fridge, model #E32AR75JPS0. I can hear it running when the house is quiet, otherwise I don't notice. No water or ice in this configuration. I didn't want it, since those are the usual culprits for needing repair. Keeps temps well, except for a short period when it was freezing items at the rear of the top shelf. I adjusted the distance from the back wall and all has been well.

Two things I would change. Having another set of produce drawers, we eat a ton! I think I need a pair of drawers somewhere :) And it moves around when my family members open it. They are using more force than is necessary to open the door and it ends up a bit crooked. It isn't enclosed, so that probably contributes. I've had it for a couple of years and am very happy overall.

• caitlinmagner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yep, I'm glad to have gotten the "match doesn't matter" validation. This is the first remodel we've ever undergone and it's a big one (for us), so I'm very afraid of making a mistake. :) I've learned a lot just in the few weeks I've been here. Hopefully I'll have something to offer one of these days.

• ellencr
    11 years ago

Help! I need a mid-range 30" SS wall oven that will look reasonable stacked with the Wolf Steam Convection Oven. I really want the Wolf steam oven, but I can't justify the larger Wolf oven because I will use it only once a year. It doesn't matter to me if the handles match exactly, but I do need something that will pair nicely with the Wolf Steam oven.

I appreciate all your thoughts on this! Thanks!