Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsdindinbaby

Frigidaire or Whirlpool?

We ordered our appliances a few months ago, but, the appliance store didn't order them in and was waiting until we told them we were 3 months from completion of our new home. In the mean time the original all fridge/all freezer units from Frigidaire that we "ordered" were discontinued. In looking for a replacement, I've discovered that Whirlpool has redesigned and re-introduced their 18cu ft SideKicks units. I have been told by numerous appliance repairmen that everyone should go with something in the Whirlpool family because it will require fewer parts and if repairs are needed, the repair will be less expense and parts more readily available. So this begs the question. Do I go with the closest Frigidaire replacement item, the Professional 19 cu ft all fridge and freezer (fpfu19f8qf for the freezer). Or do I go with the American made Whirlpool 18 cu ft SideKicks all fridge and freezer (WSZ57L18DM for the freezer)?

Help!

Comments (14)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Ehh, Frigidaire and Whirlpool are both easy to get parts for, and the pricing is similar overall. The parts for both are too expensive, but that's the case with all manufacturers and Frigidaire/Whirlpool are not as ridiculously inflated as some of the high end/niche manufacturers.

The Frigidaire Twins are American made as well (Saint Cloud, MN). There have been several reviews of them and their Electrolux siblings on this forum, most have been favorable. I haven't seen any reviews of the redesigned Sidekicks (which I believe are made in the old WC Wood plant). I honestly think it's a wash which one you go with, but Frigidaire is the more proven choice.

• jennifer2413
    8 years ago

OK, I literally just had two appliance repair guys here who said they wouldn't take Frigidaire fridges if they were giving them away. And they're more expensive than the Sidekicks. But the reviews on the Sidekicks are terrifying. I'm stuck because we designed our kitchen around the size of the Frigidaires, but we don't have the budget to go up to the super high end.

The repair guys said they'd buy the Whirpools with the warranties.

Our kitchen designer said he thought the Frigidaires were nicer looking.

What to do?

• jennifer2413
    8 years ago

Thanks, Sparky823. Good to know. I just kind of freaked out. We ended up staying with the Frigidaires, as the guys had already framed in the walls for it.

• None Ofyourbusiness
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    We stuck with the Frigidaire as well. I contacted the local repair company that would do the warranty work (if there is any, which we hope not) and they said it was 6 of one a dozen of another as far as cost of parts and availability. The sidekick (according to them) was a disaster but the compressor has been redesigned but is unknown how it will perform...
  • jennifer2413
    8 years ago

But now my husband says they could change it if we want the Whirlpool. Oy.

• jennifer2413
    8 years ago

Does anyone know how new the new compressor is? Meaning, are any of the horrible reviews I'm seeing likely to refer to it, or is it brand new?

• None Ofyourbusiness
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Compressor is, allegedly, brand new and all the rest is the same. All of the complaints about the rest of the workings would be the same... I would talk to a second repair person.
  • jennifer2413
    8 years ago

Thanks. The complaint seems to be about freon leakage?

Bottom line, the only person who strongly warned me against Frigidaire were these two repair guys. And my kitchen designer said he'd go with Whirlpool. But there really seems to be a lot of complaints about the Sidekicks. I might just stay where I am.

• sparky823
    8 years ago

I will give you my feelings of the reviews, I think sometimes people just get on there and rant to be ranting. I have read some where someone would be raving and it wasn't even the model they were reviewing OR the review they are doing is for a model that's been out for 6-9 months and they say "I have had mine 2 yrs and it is junk". It's just hard for me to believe that there will be a row of 5 stars saying best I ever used or bought, then next few start with 1 star screaming junk. Maybe I'm crazy but I know some people that wouldn't be satisfied regardless. Always hunting a problem and wanting to fuss. But I also know you can get a lemon.

• PRO
    Mark Feder & Sons
    6 years ago

I had the Frigidaire all refrigerator and all freezer and I was glad I sold them. The biggest draw back for me was the useless space between the vegetable drawers and the bottom shelf. I found that the Whirlpool Sidekicks had 4 drawers and not just two as the Frigidaire series had. So glad I am able to switch at this time.

• dan1888
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Since they bought Amana, Kitchenaid, etc. Whirlpool has repeatedly put out unreliable refrigerators. I think it'll be years before I consider them a viable choice.

• HU-793261274
    5 years ago

Fridgidaire all the way..im a designer and run the appliance kitchen center at Home hardware so appliances are part of the success of my kitchen designs..they are reliable and are quick to respond to any issue ALWAYS!!!!!! read all reviews..kitchen aid was at one time my go to however since whirlpool took over it has suffered unfortunately

• dadoes
    5 years ago

HU-793261274, when did you opt away from KitchenAid? Whirlpool has been involved with it for more than 30 years.