Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daven_gw

What's the best stainless steel cleaner?

daven
16 years ago

I'm awaiting delivery of a new Samsung FD SS fridge. I've been told that treating it immediately with a stainless steel cleaner will greatly help prevent fingerprints from showing.

What cleaner works the best?

Comments (57)

• carlylake
    15 years ago

Nice to find this thread because lately I can't find the one I used for years....Hope's Stainless Steel Polish. It was very good.

Home Depot used to carry it, but now I can't find it anywhere. I'll try one or two of the brands you all mentioned.

Carly

• dalerb66
    15 years ago

Nice to find this thread because lately I can't find the one I used for years....Hope's Stainless Steel Polish. It was very good.

According to their website, Hope's Stainless Steel Polish is available at Bed Bath & Beyond and Linens 'N Things as well as Home Depot. If you do a Google search you'll find plenty of on-line sources as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Where to Purchase Hope's Products

• carlylake
    15 years ago

Thank you, I'll try B & B and also Linens & things. I'd never have thought of looking at those kind of stores for it.

I know there are online sources but I hate paying more for shipping than the item costs...and the Hope's Polish is only about $6.

BTW, it's not a wax, but some kind of very fine abrasive powder in suspension. It also does a marvelous job of ss pots and pans....they look just like new again. It works much better than Barkeeper's Friend.

Carly

• live_wire_oak
    15 years ago

Pledge furniture polish or anything with a wax or silicone base is far superior to any of the oil based type "cleaners".

• atinga
    15 years ago

WD-40.

Clean obvious dirt with warm soapy rag, rung out but not dry. then wipe with dry cotton towel. Spray WD-40 onto a paper towel pad and rub a THIN film onto the SS surface. Wipe until WD-40 is not visible on the surface. This will cut down on dirt buildup, finger prints, etc for several days to weeks, depending on your level of activity in the kitchen.

WD-40 is mineral oil. It is $2-3 per can. Commercial Stainless Steel cleaner is usually mineral oil and is $12-25 per bottle. You decide.

• louisa_smith03
    15 years ago

If WD-40 is mineral oil, why not just use mineral oil?

• arc1017
    15 years ago

I just started using pledge ss wipes...got them at the supermarket. After trying many things these work AWESOME! I was truly shocked. I guess it's like pledge but on premoistened wipes.

• atinga
    15 years ago

louisa: Great idea. Maybe even cheaper than WD-40.

• darkmatter
    15 years ago

I've heard that olive oil works the best; just tried it and it almost is "print proof"....

• mary_in_nc
    15 years ago

Is that virgin or extra virgin olive oil? ;)

• mschuma
    15 years ago

Ditto on the Signature Polish...I have tried everything and this stuff is the best for cleaning SS hands down...We were on water restrictions and I cleaned my car with this stuff...it is truely awesome...

• nancypaint
    15 years ago

Does anyone know where to purchase Neoblank lubricant the comes with the Liebherr refrigerators? I am a new Liebherr owner/lover

• jerrod6
    15 years ago

You can call Liebherr customer service. They have it and you can buy it from them.

• ilovedobies
    15 years ago

I use Sheila Shine. It cleans, shines and protects the SS. It does a beautiful job and it never streaks.

• jpb3_maine_rr_com
    15 years ago

I use Hopes to clean my 60" Wolf w/ grill and griddle, it is by far the best I have found to cut through the grease, then I used the stainless steel magic cleaner spray to help remove the streaks, but I just tried the Signature cleaner by Wolf after the Hopes on our Wolf, (I guess the installers took the free sample with them 4 years ago) but it does an excellent job giving a final polish and mostly streak free finish, better than the spray- the small sample bottle did my 36" sub zero and our wolf, and I think we have 3 or 4 more applications left in it. But the Signature doesn't cut through the grease on the Wolf nearly as well as the Hopes. My Sub Zero looked great after only using the Signature. I also use those micro fiber towels from Sam's club instead of paper towels, they wash right up.

Just an FYI but we use griddle bricks on our Wolf Griddle and Grill - those do a wonderful job on those nasty pieces, nothing else does the job- period. Thanks for the update on the pledge wipe, I'll have to give that a try before I order the Signature....Best to everyone

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

OK, we just got some stainless appliances so I found this thread and went looking. What I'm seeing is that the Hope's cleaner is not recommended for appliances, just sinks and pots. What's the story?

• antss
    15 years ago

Most/all mentioned here are polishes rather than cleaners in my opinion. Carbona cleaner is a non greasy cleaner for stainless and is not a polish. It's not going to leave a residue to keep the SS tacky. If you just want to clean...and not spend a fortune on stuff in a fancy can, this is it. It's available at most Publix grocery stores.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carbona

• oldjgw
    15 years ago

I picked this up on the web. It sure doesn't sound like WD-40 is just mineral oil.

WD-40. Chemically, it is a mixture of aliphatic petroleum distillates and petroleum base oil in aerosol. It is a highly flammable material, but that may be the worst determined feature of this veritable wonder product. It should not be breathed in or consumed, but it generally causes no serious exposure side effects. It might dry your skin or cause redness or discomfort in the eyes if exposed.

• luisa_at_home
    15 years ago

Doesn't sound like something I want to use around food oldjgw.
    thanks for the info.

• oldjgw
    15 years ago

I asked my KD what they recommended since they have a big SS refrigerator also. They recommended Weiman SS cleaner and polish from Safeway. Ran down, walked actually I'm so tired, and got a can for $4.99. Used a microfiber cloth I had around and it was GREAT! After 9000 people put dirty finger prints on the refrigerator installing it and pulling it in and out.
    Cleaned up like magic while the Method SS did not do a thing. I'm still open to other solutions but for $4.99 I'm pretty happy.

• juliet3
    15 years ago

Sorry, I have to disagree about the Weiman SS cleaner. When I used it, the scent was overpowering, and that scent stayed in my kitchen for 3 days. We could barely eat in the kitchen with that smell. I also felt it left a residue on my stainless steel which attracted dust. I am going to try Bayes Stainless Steel Cleaner, which is odorless and designated "DfE" by the EPA (DfE = "Designed for the Environment"). I haven't tried it yet, so can't attest to how well it works.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bayes Stainless Steel Cleaner

• oldjgw
    15 years ago

Thanks juliet3. My wife says there is a pleasant smell she didn't mind at all. I didn't notice anything.
    So far we're happy with the Weiman but like I said we'll give anything a try. Of course, at $15.00 a bottle vs $5.00 for the Weiman I hope it really is superior as the website says.

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

I use the one that came with my Dacor oven. I bought a case from Homeclick 2 years ago. It's great for all the stainless I have, although I don't use it that often.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elco Stainless Cleaner

• Cindy
    15 years ago

Over the years I've used many brands of stainless steel cleaners. Most are solvent based and have a very strong chemical odor. I picked up a can of Weiman's SS Cleaner and Polish at The Great Indoors yesterday and it is amazing. I did not find the odor offensive at all and it cleaned my 5 month old Miele DW better than anything else I've used.

• sharon620
    15 years ago

A friend of mine owns her own cleaning company. She usually Stainless Steel Cleaner by Pro link. She got it at a janitorial warehouse. I recommend it highly. No rubbing no polishing. Just spray on and wipe off.
    Great stuff!

Sharon

• minette99
    15 years ago

ZEP Stainless Cleaner. A quick spray and a quick wipe once a week is all I need to do. HD carries it.

• velodoug
    15 years ago

Undiluted white vinegar in a spray bottle and a good wipe down with a clean towel works as well as any of the stainless steel cleaners we've tried.

• Cyberspacer
    15 years ago

I use Mrs. Meyers Lemon SS cleaner and it works well and smells fresh, not like other SS cleaners that smell like engine oils.

• slrapp
    15 years ago

Even with Signature, I find streaks. What am I doing wrong? Do you need a ton of this stuff? Do you have to stand there for 10 minutes polishing?

• clayton1110_zoominternet_net
    13 years ago

Strongly recommend the Milsek product. they make the best furniture cleaner/polish, but they also have a great stainless cleaner. I use on my stainless refrig, but was really amazed at how well it worked on my stainless grill.

Here is a link that might be useful: Milsek

• sofapillio
    13 years ago

I have SS monogram appliances and for the first few months after purchasing them I tried everything! I have found the MIRACLE answer..... Norwex cloths. You wash with water and a norwex cloth and wipe off with the glass cleaning norwex cloth. Nothing has ever been close to comparison. I no longer have any fingerprints. I received them as a gift and have since purchased them from a norwex dealer, you can find one on line. These cloths also are amazing on mirrors and windows....no chemicals, no residue, no dirt. It sounds funny to be that excited about cloths but honestly they are amazing. I have no ties to Norwex except being a very impressed customer.

• spurjim_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Wanted to let you guys know that FA Seeds' Merit Stainless Steel, Chrome and Tin polish is the best I've ever used. Seeds' is a small company in Atlanta that makes really great home cleaning products. Great service!

Here is a link that might be useful: FA Seeds' Company

• butzmom_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Just had stainless steel backsplash installed. My tile guy said this was the best for all stainless products.
    MEGUIAR'S MARINE/RV METAL GUARD AEROSOL

• johnapos68_gmail_com
    12 years ago

If you're removing stains or burns, nothing else on the market cleans like Quickleen S. It leaves a protective coating to prevent and fingerprints. www.quickleen.com.au

Here is a link that might be useful: Quickleen

• jfelbab
    12 years ago

I stumbled on what I consider the best SS product I've ever found. I got it in the automotive section at Walmart. The product is called Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax. It's actually a synthetic sealant that dries and leaves a protective coating so as not to attract dust. It doesn't streak and lasts a long time. Best of all it's very inexpensive. The product works equally well on glass, mirrors, plastic, vinyl, countertops, etc. It is spray on-wipe off product. Once applied, the polymers crosslink to provide a very durable protection that resists fingerprints and spills.

It also works great on the car. Now I have to run around the house to find where the spouse has left the bottle when I want to spiff up the car. LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Meg's UQW

• redruthunited
    12 years ago

Ive used many different stainless steel cleaning products. The e cloth is good, but the best cleaner i think is Neoblank. Its hard to get hold of though and is expensive, but it is worth it. I ordered with a website called Steelcleaner and received it in just 2 days. Their website is: www.steelcleaner.info - good luck and hope the FF is going well :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: The neoblank supplier

• jeff_window
    12 years ago

I'm sure it was gardenweb that I read a recommendation for stainless cleaner from. It was not this particular thread, because there were a number or recommendations to use ZEP stainless cleaner and polish. I bought two cans of it because the shipping cost was nearly as much as the cleaner, so I figured I might as well get two. I am sorry I purchased the ZEP. It is a sort of greasy foam stuff. I think it has silicon in it. It did not clean and it left a dull finish after I buffed it. It seemed to accentuate stains that were already there. Yuk, what a waste of 20 bucks.
    I ended up using Bar Keep powder which most folks know works really well on stainless steel sinks. However, it works great on other stainless with this caveat - Do not scrub ! It does have a mild abrasive in it. I used it to to scrub off a really badly stained part of the stainless on my garbage compactor. I can see minute little scratches where I rubbed too hard. I just didn't know any better at the time. Here's the thing...there's no need to scrub or even apply any pressure at all. Just take a sponge and sprinkle some on and wet it a little bit until the sponge is damp and rub the powder into the sponge with your thumb. Then just do one gentle swipe across the entire surface of the stainless in rows til it's all covered. Then take a damp towel and go across it again to rinse. You can then use a soft dry towel to dry, but it's really not necessary to buff. Just get any excess water off and it dries without streaking and it comes out very shiny.
    Obviously you'd want to try this in a small area first rather than trust invisible, virtual me. But, I kid you not; it works fantastic. I don't believe that the mild abrasives are what is doing the trick with Bar Keep. It is the formula that is doing the cleaning. So, next time I clean, I'm going to get a very small dish of water and sprinkle the power into it and swish it around to dissolve. I'm going to let any abrasives settle to the bottom of the small dish, then just wet a sponge and clean that way. This will only be a test for my curiousity because using the gentle way I described above didn't harm my stainless. It worked great on my dishwasher, compactor and double oven. I'm suggesting this method for anyone who might be worried about my comments regarding the abrasive nature of the product. I'll post another link after I try it.
    btw; I also used it on my sink and it came out very shiny. I'm currently selling my house, so I thought I'd go ahead and use that ZEP I purchased to maybe shine it up some more. Well, the ZEP made it more cloudy looking and dull. I'm going to take both cans of that stuff to the local chemical recycling center.

• jeff_window
    12 years ago

I'm sure it was gardenweb that I read a recommendation for stainless cleaner from. It was not this particular thread, because there were a number or recommendations to use ZEP stainless cleaner and polish. I bought two cans of it because the shipping cost was nearly as much as the cleaner, so I figured I might as well get two. I am sorry I purchased the ZEP. It is a sort of greasy foam stuff. I think it has silicon in it. It did not clean and it left a dull finish after I buffed it. It seemed to accentuate stains that were already there. Yuk, what a waste of 20 bucks.
    I ended up using "Bar Keepers Friend" powder which most folks know works really well on stainless steel sinks. However, it works great on other stainless with this caveat - Do not scrub ! It does have a mild abrasive in it. I used it to to scrub off a really badly stained part of the stainless on my garbage compactor. I can see minute little scratches where I rubbed too hard. I just didn't know any better at the time. Here's the thing...there's no need to scrub or even apply any pressure at all. Just take a sponge and sprinkle some on and wet it a little bit until the sponge is damp and rub the powder into the sponge with your thumb. Then just do one gentle swipe across the entire surface of the stainless in rows til it's all covered. Then take a damp towel and go across it again to rinse. You can then use a soft dry towel to dry, but it's really not necessary to buff. Just get any excess water off and it dries without streaking and it comes out very shiny.
    Obviously you'd want to try this in a small area first rather than trust invisible, virtual me. But, I kid you not; it works fantastic. I don't believe that the mild abrasives are what is doing the trick with Bar Keep. It is the formula that is doing the cleaning. So, next time I clean, I'm going to get a very small dish of water and sprinkle the power into it and swish it around to dissolve. I'm going to let any abrasives settle to the bottom of the small dish, then just wet a sponge and clean that way. This will only be a test for my curiousity because using the gentle way I described above didn't harm my stainless. It worked great on my dishwasher, compactor and double oven. I'm suggesting this method for anyone who might be worried about my comments regarding the abrasive nature of the product. I'll post another link after I try it.
    btw; I also used it on my sink and it came out very shiny. I'm currently selling my house, so I thought I'd go ahead and use that ZEP I purchased to maybe shine it up some more. Well, the ZEP made it more cloudy looking and dull. I'm going to take both cans of that stuff to the local chemical recycling center.

• Sabsing
    11 years ago

wd40!!!!!!!
    Thank you SO much, I believe it was Paula, who posted this tip for polishing stainless steel with wd40. My fridge is beautiful with little effort. Thanks again

• MinnesotaFats
    10 years ago

There is a new cleaner found on www.Bioworx.us Their VOC free glass and surface cleaner leaves stoves, refrigerators, dishwashers and other stainless steel products streak free. I always use a microfiber cloth with their glass and surface cleaner. A word of caution be careful not to use strong cleaners on stainless steel, or you may permanently damage the surface. Never use sodium hypochlorite (bleach) on stainless steel. You will certainly damage the surface because stainless and sodium hypochlorite are incompatible.

Here is a link that might be useful: BioWorx

• lindabiddle
    10 years ago

I didn't like the slippery residue that most stainless cleaners leave on the appliances. I read here on Gardenweb about mixing a solution of isopropyl alcohol and water 50 percent each. It works great. No greasy feel to it and no streaks either. If I have a stubborn burned on bit on the rangetop, I use Barkeepers Friend then follow it up with a spray of the alcohol mixture and use a microfiber cloth to polish it up. Not only is it cost effective, but it's antibacterial too.

• Bisquick1
    10 years ago

I tried them all.......I had to work really hard and still got streaks until I listened to the folks here who said Bar Keep Friend. I didn't have any on hand so I used Bon Ami (guaranteed not to scratch). I used 2 cups hot water and about 2 tablespoons Bon Ami and kind of dissolved the Bon Ami in the water. I wiped it on with a soft towel, scrubbing where needed with additional Bon Ami and wiped it with a rinsed out rag. Dried it with a dry towel and in seconds, literally, no streaks, shiny, clean.........amazing
    ! I can't believe I wasted all that money on stainless steel cleaning products. I was ready to sell my stainless appliances because they looked so crummy all the time. No wax, no oil, no nothing but clean......yeah! Oh and the bottom freezer section is exactly how filthy the whole thing was.

• tammie3030
    9 years ago

ok I took the advice just this very minute of cleaning the fridge and I tried the goo gone first wiped it down really good then I used spray way for glass cleaner and it removed all the gunk form a lot of the previous cleaners listed here then did a final clean with the spray way glass cleaner and it is spotless!!! and I touched it multiple times and no fingerprints will stick... it got rid of the old cleaners I have used and it is now 100% fingerprint and dust safe.. good luck I am very happy now =)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

WD-40 is the best I've used on mine.

• lindabiddle
    9 years ago

I have been using a mixture of alcohol, the rubbing kind not the drinking kind, and water. 50-50 concentration. I keep it in a spray bottle and use a soft cloth for wiping. No streaks, cleans great with no greasy feel. My SS appliances look great.

Since I'm up for the award of messiest cook in America, I use Barkeepers Friend to clean around the burners of my gas cooktop, then wipe up with the alcohol mixture.

So far, after nearly 3 years, everything looks like new!

• dennizgrsn
    9 years ago

llb1630, thanks for the alcohol/water idea. I like the "non-greasy" and "anti-bacterial" aspects. Will try it instead of WD-40!

• power_cheek
    8 years ago

The best stainless steel cleaner ever ever is

Bioworx....plus use it on Chrome. ..shines

And clean ...there's no better.....

• power_cheek
    8 years ago

Bioworx is natural......stainless steel ...

Don't use anything else....

• reader44
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have not ever used any cleaning solution on my SS range or fridge, just a microfiber cloth (the terry ones you can get by the dozen at Harbor Freight for something like $7.99, in a range of appalling fluorescent colors). I dampen a corner of the cloth to clean, then buff with the dry part, always in line with the grain of the SS. Fingerprints, spills, frying spatter all disappear like magic -- the microfiber is like an oil/grime magnet. The only drawback is that the microfiber terrycloth is just prickly enough to be a little unpleasant to the touch: but it's such a quick job that by the time I think "oh gosh, maybe I'll put on some gloves this time" the cleaning is just about done. Fridge is pretty new, but I have cleaned my range this way for almost two years now, and it looks great.

• friedajune
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

This thread that was resurrected is old, so I hope people reading it will be more up-to-date and keep away from WD-40 in the kitchen. WD-40 is flammable. People reading the posts here might think to use it on their stainless steel stovetop or on a hood. It is flammable! And, for goodness sakes, it's poisonous and should not be used around food. Check out WD-40's label below.

There are so many SS cleaners on the market, not to mention non-specialty cleaners that work just as well, why spray WD-40 instead? To anyone reading this thread, give a pass on the flammable, poisonous WD-40 in the kitchen, and try any of the cleansers and cleaning methods mentioned on this thread.