Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mo_snow

Got Pancakes?--Seeking C.I. Griddle for C.C.

mo_snow
13 years ago

Can anyone can point me in the right direction for sources for a cast iron griddle (preferably reversible for grilling on the non-pancake side, but not necessary) that is a good size for the CC (also preferably reasonably priced)?

The dimensions of the grates on the range (spanning two burners front to back or left to right) are appx. 22" x 11" and I can't seem to find a good size griddle -- checked Lodge's website and Amazon. Obviously, the size does not need to be exact, but the only larger griddles I've found have handle holes at the middle of each end that reduce the solid span of surface, which puts the handle holes roughly over the burners. Not ideal. Any help would be appreciated--the troops are getting restless!

Thanks in advance.

Comments (27)

• plllog
    13 years ago

Rachel Ray

Hard to find! I found the above on Google Shopping. I don't know the dimensions of mine, but it has a similar look, though all colored enamel. It was a gift, but I know it came from NapaStyle, who don't have it anymore. I love mine. I also use it in the oven for a broiling pan and get lovely lines on the lambchops as well as even heating (preheat with oven, let cool in oven).

• mo_snow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much plllog. This forum is the best. A bit steep for cast iron and I could do without Rachel's colorful enamel accent, but I'll check it out. Thanks again! (and my kids thank you too!)

• aliris19
    13 years ago

I found one in a Mexican market for $15. I suggest if you have recourse to such a bazaar just poke about....

• rob from nj
    13 years ago

How about 20" x 13"?: All-Clad Nonstick Double Grill & Griddle

I had my eyes on this one for when my CC comes in.

• jfolley
    13 years ago

I LOVE my Paula Deen one, it is 12x20 and although I have a CC ordered, I am using it on the precision right now. Wonderful fit and very heavy and preseasoned. You can find them at Bed Bath and Beyond at about 80 dollars and if you are lucky on occasion at Walmart! I loved it so much I now bought 2 so I had double space if needed or to use on my outdoor grill as well. It flips for both a grill on one side and griddle on the other. Love it!!

• mo_snow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Robj: I may be overly stubborn on this but I have my heart set on cast iron.

Aliris19: I hadn't thought about it before, but your post has me thinking that I should check out yard sales and flea markets; and it is great to know I have plllog's suggestion as a solid fall-back.

Thanks again to all!

• mo_snow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jfolley: thanks for another good suggestion. If it is not too much trouble, could you post the length measured from the "inside" of the handles?

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    13 years ago

We use a pre seasoned cast iron lodge griddle plate on our CC slower to hear but better than cast aluminum

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

I've had the Chef's Design cast-iron reversible for years and it works very well. Amazon has it.

Dehillerin also has the top cast iron fish grill and a plancha but they are separate pieces. I've had the fish grill (scroll down) since Roman times. It's the one they were using in the fish restaurant where I was doing a stage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chef's Design

• steelcfo
    13 years ago

At Christmas time we purchased a Bobby Flay reversible cast iron from Kohls that is 20X10. Since our CC is not expected to be delivered until the end of January I'm not sure yet that it is the perfect size but the price was right. It retails for $50 but was on sale and coupons so the final price was $28. Kohls always has the coupon thing going and usually sales often. I have seasoned and used it on the gas grill a few times for searing tuna and it works great. Looking forward to trying it indoors on the CC. You can check it out on there website kohls.com
    Tom

• parrym
    13 years ago

I too was looking for a CI griddle for my Blue Star. I wanted the biggest, most even cooking one I could find. After lots of looking and not being overwhelmed with any of the choices, I took a chance on a Chef King double burner griddle in steel. The reviews were almost all very positive. I wasn't sure how it could be non-stick enough, but gave it a shot.

As you can probably guess, I have been thrilled with the even-ness and non-stick-iness (I love making up words) of their griddle. There is a quick seasoning process required when you first get it, like CI, and cleaning is just like CI, and boy does it make awesome pancakes. I can cook 6-8 at a time with no hot-spots. It helps that I have both 23k burners on the right side so they are evenly matched front-back. I have some pictures on my camera at home showing the even browning of 8 pancakes.

I have the larger size double griddle (Size: 14" x 23" x 3/4" deep) which is a bit of a beast, but fits perfectly on my BS and I would imagine your CC as well.

If you can ponder a non-CI griddle, and one that is not reversible (which I found useless on my previous CI griddle as the seasoning would burn off on whatever side was facing the fire), I would highly recommend the Chef King [no, I'm not affiliated... blah, blah, blah, just a fan]

Here is a link that might be useful: Chef King

• jfolley
    13 years ago

you have the 20x12 cooking surface except for about 4 inches across and 2 inches out where the handles are built in, it is by far the biggest cooking surface I could find and the cast iron which is what I wanted. I have yet to have an issue with burning off of the seasoning. If I am cooking something with no fat in it, I do a small quick spray of the cooking spray, but like bacon or meat, not needed. I use both sides regularly. I did not like the all-clad, and although I love my cast iron lodge items I did not like their griddle because it was just way too small. You will love this thing. Hope this helps!

• rob from nj
    13 years ago

My eye has been shifted toward cast iron.

Thanks for posting this!

• mo_snow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again to everyone for all of the suggestions. jfolley: I will definitely check it out as yours seems to offer the most real estate of the various options. Much appreciated.

• steve-in-mn
    13 years ago

One more avenue to check out - vintage cast iron on eBay. There's a fairly steady stream of two-burner vintage griddles by Griswold, Wagner and other makers, of all kinds of sizes, up to the giant #11 (29"x15"). I spent a lot of time trying to figure out which size was the largest I could get and still fit the CC. I ended up buying two matching ancient-looking griddles for $43 each (didn't have to pay shipping because seller turned out to be local). They are #9s, which measure 23" by 10.5" (including handles) for this maker. A number nine griswold appears to be just slightly larger. I think the cooking surface will be just about right, although the handles may require me to use them left-to-right (rather than front-to-back) which should be ok as I have a 36" CC. I haven't actually seen them on my CC, as the range just arrived two days ago and is sitting in its packaging in my garage, waiting for the remodel to be done. As for the price, many of the listings are by folks who hunt down old cast iron, clean it up and reseason it, and list it for a considerable mark up (like a couple hundred $ or more for griddles). If you're willing to do the cleaning & seasoning yourself you can pay quite a bit less. I've done this with three skillets so far and the results have been fantastic. The old mfrs gave their products a much smoother surface than the new Lodge products (I have two Lodge skillets as well), and a restored vintage skillet literally looks like modern nonstick. Not sure they'd behave exactly like nonstick for pancakes, but I'll wager they'll meet or beat the performance of any modern cast iron!

• rob from nj
    13 years ago

I took steve's advice and picked up a vintage #9 Griswold off of eBay.

Here it is on my CC:

Even with careful positioning, it still slopes down a little to the front. I didn't make pancakes on it yet, but the French toast rocked.

With the handle it is slightly long so its a little tricky to get it to sit flat:

• tom421
    13 years ago

I just found and purchased this griddle.

Here is a link that might be useful: griddles

• herring_maven
    13 years ago

mo_snow writes: "Can anyone can point me in the right direction for sources for a cast iron griddle (preferably reversible for grilling on the non-pancake side, but not necessary) that is a good size for the CC (also preferably reasonably priced)?"

You will have to decide for yourself what are the parameters of "reasonably priced"; but for QUALITY, check out the (made in the USofA) Olvida 20-incher.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nickel impregnated cast iron

• alexrander
    13 years ago

I'm looking for the thickest aluminum or aluminum clad double burner griddle I can find- mainly for pancakes. I don't want the weight of cast iron, and I have some large Griswold skillets and they are too thin on the bottom for my liking.

I saw something called the maxi griddle by Chef Designs, it was 12x21 inches, anyone familiar with something like that. Oh and I don't want a reversible. Just a griddle only. Decor makes one that is very expensive, anyone have any experience with that as well??

• maire_cate
    13 years ago

I have a Dacor griddle and use it fairly often. It's non-stick, fairly heavy, but not as heavy as a cast iron one. Mine measures 21 x 14 but there is a 2" wide indentation at the end to catch the bacon grease - so the cooking surface would be 19 x 14.

Mine is 6 years old so I don't know if the current ones have the same measurement.

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    13 years ago

Alex... We use the Chefs Designs in the cooking school, we have no complaints about this product at all....

Start your Bluestar burners high then turn down to medium to maintain constant temprature.

• billy_g
    13 years ago

Big stoves need a big griddle:

http://www.dvorsons.com/AddABroiler/AddABroiler.html

Billy

Here is a link that might be useful: BIG GRIDDLES

• alexrander
    13 years ago

Thanks Maire and Trevor for the replies. I'll do a little more research and then get something, probably what Trevor uses, as it's reasonably priced. Also thanks for the advise on the pre-heat, although I normally give it time at a lower heat if its non-stick stuff- to avoid the out gassing of PFOA if there is any...

• zillapgh
    13 years ago

I have the Lodge Pro, which is slightly larger than the Lodge Logic as I remember. It seemed inexpensive, I think I paid under $40 total on Amazon. Size was a big deal to me since I'm making pancakes on the weekend for 6 kids and 2 adults fairly often. It seemed like it would be big enough when I ordered it, but I find it to be too small. But it does cover the two burners nicely and I don't feel that I lose much space due to the handles. I guess I wish it was wider. I am thinking next time I'll take out a CI skillet and use an additional burner. I like the quality a lot and I use very little butter or oil on it because the seasoning does really work.

• Nunyabiz1
    13 years ago

For cast iron griddles I think you may have found the only way to get a quality griddle of decent size.
    Myself I opted for the Chef King Griddle which is very thick heavy steel, every bit as good as cast iron.
    But cast iron and steel are by far the best 2 options, rest don't hold a candle to them.

Plus I can get it at the perfect size of 14X23" for 2 burner or even a 23X23" for a 4 burner.

I can do 8-10 pancakes at once, in fact I am about to make some pancakes right now when I am done writing this.

• raj_
    13 years ago

Cast iron? No, you want steel. It has a higher thermal conductivity to produce a more uniform temperature. I have these:

http://www.katom.com/067-1020450.html
    http://www.katom.com/067-1020449.html

I use them on my 6 burner CC--they are awesome. English muffins, pancakes, bacon, all at the same time.... I haven't seasoned long enough (had them only since Feb), but I'll try eggs soon.

I was advised to get 4 burners and a griddle by many smart people, but with these two griddles (2 burner and 4 burner) I feel that I have the best of both worlds.

Also, do yourself a favor and get a griddle thermometer and an IR thermometer:

http://www.globeequipment.com/Kitchen-Supplies/Food-Safety-Supplies/Thermometers/3210-08

http://www.amazon.com/Raytek-MT6-Non-contact-MiniTemp-Thermometer/dp/B000O80B5M

• Nunyabiz1
    13 years ago

I pretty much agree, the steel is better than the cast iron.

I cooked 6 eggs on mine the day I got it, all I did was preseason it once and it was totally nonstick from day one and is only getting better.
    I have a 2 burner, 14X23" and I turn both burners on medium low for about 5-10 minutes and the whole griddle is perfectly hot all over, no cold spots.
    No way you can beat a really nice removable steel griddle.