Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pmaddogs

comments now that you've been using your induction range?

Patricia
10 years ago

Hello,
Have been lurking for awhile as we contemplate appliances for a modest remodel. I am sold on a 30" slide-in induction range -- most likely either the Electrolux or GE, but am open to others in a similar price range. Now that you have used yours, would you recommend it? Or, conversely, recommend against it? I'll be very grateful for any specific comments, pro or con.

Comments (6)

• nightowlrn
    10 years ago

I cooked on a GE Profile 36 inch induction for a few years. I REALLY liked it - with one exception. I missed banging pots and pans around and never got used to being careful with my Griswold cast iron skillets. I had silicone rounds that helped me feel more free to move the cast iron about without breaking the induction glass, but it just isn't the same. We do half our cooking in 6 - 12 inch Griswold skillets. Others might not use heavy skillets as much as we do. Other than that, I think the induction was better at everything. We are currently designing a new kitchen and hope to have both - a 2 hob induction on the island and a 48 inch gas with 4 burners and a griddle and vent. Of course, it is just a hope at this point.

• Patricia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your comments, nightowlrn. I am hopeful for any feedback from GE or Electrolux induction users, now that the appliances are getting some regular use in homes.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

We have had the GE range for over a year, I believe it is essentially the same as the slide in unit. Though it seems a new model of these is now available, I think in the last month or two. When we purchased, all the research I found pointed to the GE and Electrolux being the best choices in that price point.

I had never used induction before I purchased. Nobody I know has induction aside from one person I consider an acquaintance. All I had was online info, most of it from GW.

We LOVE the GE Profile range. Love it! DH wanted gas for the control, even though he had never had gas. He had no idea what induction was even when I tried to explain it. But he trusted my research and I ordered the induction range. He was hooked the first night. He loves the response. It's so easy to keep clean, nothing burns on and in most cases you can cook on top of paper towels if needed (see the many other threads here for much discussion in this).

I just asked him if he had any thoughts for people considering a similar range, all he said was,"It's great." There's nothing he would complain about. He cooks a lot more than I do.

I think either one would be a fine choice and make you happy. Make sure you check out the install specs on both slide ins. I had to replace the range a few months before our remodel, it was old and started sparking and tripping the breaker. I was scared off by the specs for the E-lux because I may have had to cut my counter a little. I didn't look at the GE slide in after that, but I've been told here it is meant to slide right into a normal range space. Ease of replacement might be a factor to consider if you will have your kitchen long term.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    10 years ago

Have you considered a Kenmore Elite. Mine is now 4 1/2 years old and I love it. There is not much I dislike about it other than I wish the racks pulled out further.

• Patricia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, stir_fryi, for your comments on the Kenmore Elite. I am happy to see that there are other options for induction in this price range that satisfy people. My experience with Sears has not been the best, so I do usually shy away from their appliances. Perhaps I should reconsider, but I am really drawn to either the GE or Electrolux induction ranges.

• Caya26
    10 years ago

I have the GE induction slide in range, LOVE it! I've had it since April 2013 - we renovated our kitchen - new granite counter-tops, glass textured tile backsplash, new SS appliances, new sink and faucet. My maple shaker cabinets (12 years) were custom made and in terrific shape, so was my Pergo vinyl tile floating floor.
    I was debating to go for a gas or induction range, so glad we went induction. We were going back and forth between the Electrolux and the GE, ended up with the GE mainly because the oven is much bigger. It took me about a week to get used to the "induction" way - boiling water is lickety split, have your veggies already to fry because the pan will heat up very quickly. Clean up is a breeze.
    The oven is fantastic - it has a probe that I have used many times to roast chickens, turkeys, etc. Perfect every time. Bakes cookies, muffins, banana breads etc. beautifully. Can you tell how happy I am with this GE range?

This post was edited by Caya26 on Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 19:11