Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
10kdiamond

Would you Buy an NXR Sight Unseen?

10KDiamond
13 years ago

I had a kitchen fire and am now scrambling to do a high end remodel on a shoe string budget as well as make a million remodel decisions very quickly (gotta feed the kids!).

Didn't think I could afford a "Professional" looking 30" range but the NXR fits the bill. My 2nd choice (which seems to pale in comparison) would be a DF GE Cafe'.

Here's the thing....I can't find any NXRs here in Colorado. Dare I take such a huge leap of faith & order one without actually seeing it/touching it/feeling the knobs, opening the doors? I appreciate this forum's insight.

Also, a question for current 30" NXR owners - what's the minimum CFM for this range that you have?

Thanks so much!

Comments (19)

• rob from nj
    13 years ago

Well... I bought a Culinarian sight unseen for about twice what the NXR costs, so why not?

I saw the NXR in person at Reno's Appliances in NJ and found the price hard to believe. Its a really nice looking appliance for the price. The GE Cafe isn't even in the same class.

There are plenty of reviews here on the NXR and they appear to be overwhelmingly positive. If it fits your budget and you can live with a few minor annoyances (the multi-piece top among them) then why not?

• llaatt22
    13 years ago

Kitchen fire? Kids? High end on a shoestring? NRX in an area apparently without a distributor? Don't think so.

Electrolux, Frigidaire, and Kenmore sell upgraded ranges that are very similar in performance to an NRX but may cost less or more but lack the pro style. Maybe induction would be a good choice too.

Maybe a pro style used gas range that has proven itself problem free for sale at a good price in your area? That would be my first choice. Then induction for safety factors.

• mojavean
    13 years ago

The NXR looks nice. My issue with it is that the 30" model does not feature a continuous, flush, cooking surface. Burners are arrayed on either side of the range and sit higher than the center "landing strip" down the middle of the top. To me, a pro-range allow pans to be slid to either side across a continuously grated surface. NXR sells a center grate that will raise that middle to flush with the burners, but it costs an extra hundred bucks. Also, they are just sealed burners with no particular advantage over any other sealed burner that I can see. But I have just glanced at the NXR and have not made a study of the line. One thing is for sure, I took a look at the ones they are selling on ebay and none of the sellers I found accept returns. I highly recommend that you not buy ANY range from a seller who will not stand behind the sale and take an unsuitable or defective product back.

Lastly, before you buy an NXR, take the time to look at Bertazzoni (and possibly Fratelli Onofri). They are sealed burner ranges also and in the ballpark pricewise, but made in Italy rather than China, and their industrial design aesthetics are superior to anything I have ever seen. They get great reviews for performance as well, but are a work of art in person, particularly in Ferrari Red.

• mt913
    13 years ago

I too was debating between the NXR and Capital Precision series. I chose to go with the Capital because of the comments on customer service on this forum. NXR has complaints and Capital had good remarks. Not to mention, Capital is made in USA. I have not received the stove yet but I will update when I receive it (can't wait).

• trixieinthegarden
    13 years ago

I did, and I am very pleased with the range. I ordered from Appliances Connection, they were great, the range was delivered white-glove and installed by someone local that they contracted with. I am waiting on the center grate since it is currently out of stock nationally, but so far I am absolutely delighted with everything about the NXR.

• Maddy Reynolds
    13 years ago

YES! I did and We love our new 30 " NXR range. So far it is fantastic. Very easy to slide a pan across with the center grate. The only complaints: cleaning the crumbs and sometimes the burners continue to click if left on high (manual details this). Love the blue oven interior.

• rbse
    13 years ago

Absolutely love our NXR, nothing will come close to it for value. We needed to have the ignitor for the infrared burner replaced, called service number, they couldn't have been better. Lined up repair person, he had the replacement ignitor and was up and running within a week of calling. We wanted something that did not have all of the electronics gizzmos, but big performance. This range has that in spades, you won't be disappointed, it's a heck of a bargain.

• 10KDiamond
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just to follow up - I did purchase the 36 inch NXR (sight unseen) with Griddle. Got delivered last week and have baked boiled, and used the griddle. The oven and griddle heats up faster than expected. The griddle made the best french toast this morning. I am so happy so far!

Before purchasing, I called the service company that services the product during warranty and extended warrenties (which I did purchase) and asked about history and any known issues, past and present. I got favorable reviews. Then I called back two days later and asked again - speaking to another person to ensure consistency. No problems!

My high end appliance store rep was at the house this morning (due to problem with the KA DW) and he was very impressed with the unit. Spotted the quality parts (and idenitfied who sources them) immediately.

Again, I am so happy! It's gorgeous, it's a bargain and cooks extremely well. I have a turkey that I'll be making soon.

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Dear 10KDiamond: I'm so glad to hear your report that you love your new NXR. Happy cooking and baking!

• Nunyabiz1
    13 years ago

Well my wife & I just bought an NXR gas range, the older model NRG3001 with the curved handle.
    We were also a bit nervous about buying something like a stove sight unseen especially something that weighs 350# and would have to be shipped from at least 500+ miles away.
    Fortunately we were planning a trip down to Florida to visit friends and I managed to find a dealer in Tampa Fl that had an NXR range in stock, so we made the 2 hour detour on the way back home so that we could see,feel, touch, rattle, slam, bang etc the stove.
    We were both very impressed with it, when you compare it to stoves like ANY Sears/Kenmore or any other of the basic stoves KA, GE and even Electrolux it is FAR superior in every way.
    My wifes best friend just bought a Kenmore Elite gas stove and I believe after taxes paid right around $2000 for it.
    Like all stoves in that category they are cheaply made, light weight, feel like a tin can when you open & close the oven door, cheap light duty racks, light duty grates etc.
    Plus it has the electronic controls on the back that are notorious for going on the fritz especially if you have the audacity to boil water on the back burners.
    That is assuming you can even get you big spaghetti pot to fit on the back burner.

We paid $1799.00 total cost, no tax, free shipping and could not be happier.
    Now our stove we just replaced was a 28 year old piece of electric manure, with the standard electric coil burners so naturally virtually anything would have been a tremendous improvement but I did research stoves for about a year prior to buying this NXR.
    From what I can tell there are no other stoves in this price range that even come remotely close to the quality of the NXR.
    I checked out Bertazzoni and they were nice, well made, but for a 30" cost about $800-$1000 more and the ovens are so tiny I don't think you could even cook a 18lb Turkey in one.
    All the rest, Capital, Blue Star etc were all $1000 more and I could not see that big of a difference between them.
    Then of course the Wolf, Viking, Thermador are all very nice but for $6000+ for us that is a joke.
    We are only spending about $8000 to remodel our whole kitchen, New NXR stove, New stainless counter depth fridge, new granite counter tops, refinish cabinets, new stainless front panel on DW etc.
    From what I can gather on reviews I would personally rather have this NXR than I would a $6000 Viking.

Anyway, we love this NXR so far.
    Also these are not exactly "made in China" they are assembled in China & California from some of the best parts you can buy from Germany, Italy, Australia, and USA.

For $1800 there is not a better stove out there, not even close.

• kmg67
    13 years ago

Definitely agree with you on the oven size of the Bert. I really like that range but cannot get past the 2.9 cu ft oven. Where did you get such a fantastic price on the NXR? I rarealy seen them online for much less than $2000 - which is still not a bad price.

• Nunyabiz1
    13 years ago

This is ours, now we just need the granite counter tops and cabinets refinished and kitchen will look like new.

• Nunyabiz1
    13 years ago

We bought ours from a place in Tampa Fl called 'DKA Distributing"
    5010 Tampa West Blvd.
    Was the best price we could find in the country and that is for the older discontinued model the NRG 3001 which is exactly the same as the DRGB 3001 except for the oven door handle is curved instead of straight and the control knobs are tilted up instead of flat.
    For $1799.00 total that is impossible to beat for such a nice stove.

• Nunyabiz1
    13 years ago

Couple other things I thought that I would mention since the original poster asked about CFM.
    We just have a over the range microwave that is 400CFM and it seems to work just fine.
    I also purchased a really nice Griddle to put over 2 burners that works great.
    It was from a place called Rocky Mountain cookware.
    a Chef King Griddle that is 14x23", very thick and heavy, fits perfect over 2 burners and plenty of room to cook about 8 pancakes at a time.

http://www.rockymountaincookware.com/rocky-mountain-cookware-products-details.php?productID=2

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

I did see a NXR in a showroom before I bought mine, but I was still nervous. I LOVE it, though. I paid $1800 in 2009 for the DRGB3001, and got the center grate -which is a really good addition.

Appliance and gas-line people who have been to my home have all been very impressed with it. It is SO fun to cook on.
    I really like that all 4 burners are capable of either high-output (15k BTU) or super-low simmer. The lowest setting is really, really low. I think this is much more useable than ranges with maybe one or two dedicated high-output burners and one "simmer" burner. You don't have to move pans around while you're cooking. And you can be simmering more than one thing at a a time.
    The oven convection is great, and the infrared broiler, too.

I did have a warranty issue which was taken care of (although it took a while because the part was overseas.) But the best part of the service issue is that this is a VERY simple machine, with no expensive proprietary electronic gismos to fail. The guy NXR sent to do my repair is a commercial/restaurant stove repairman. He showed me all the parts, how to swap them out, and how simple (and cheap) they are to order on line. We will likely DIY any future repairs now that we're out of warranty... but even if we were hiring him it would not be exorbitant (unlike repairs to glasstop electric ranges I have had in the past, where the motherboard or the glass top cost nearly as much as the whole stove!)

Stacey

• palomalou
    13 years ago

I've been pondering what to put in our condo and checked out the NXR. It's a bit underpowered on top for what I want, but the hilarious thing was when I took something out of my trunk this week, "NXR" are the letters on my current license plate.

• llaatt22
    13 years ago

One "nice to have" thing to keep in mind is buying (ignitors and a spark module) spare parts. Nothing urgent but a good thing to keep in mind. If parts are at hand your stove gets back to work a lot faster.

• marleycat25
    12 years ago

Hello Nunyabiz1... I see you posting quite a bit about your NXR, you really seem to love it. No problems with the chipping paint on the inside???I am seriously considering one myself. What brand is your mico with the 400CFM. I want to upgrade mine at the same time. I was worried that I would need to switch to a vented hood instead of the over the range micro, but it seems to be working ok for you?? I need just a little more convincing before I place the order. I am 99% there. Really don't like all the bells and whistles on the GE Cafe which is my second choice. Thanks for any input from all you NXR owners!

• paula hyson
    6 years ago

I would all the reviews I have seen are really good and I love the fact that all the burners have the same output and you can simmer on all the burners I am doing a kitchen remodel myself and I am going to go with that stove I read a review by people who have had much more expensive stoves and they all seem to love it look around do your homework because the price on those varries from site to site all most everyone I have talked to will price match Costco right now has it on sale