Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
traceee_gw

Induction vs. Radiant vs Hybrid? Are these features all the same?

traceee
13 years ago

YES, I have searched the forum, and the internet trying to research an electric slide-in induction stainless range. I'd like to keep this under $2000.00. I have pretty much ruled-out the "touch-pad" features and will stick with knobs for now.

I am seriously looking at the Fridgidaire Professional Series FPCS3085L 30" slide-in Induction Hybrid Range with

5 induction/radiant cooking zones (approx. $1700).

I've read that Electrolux is now making the Frigidaire products which boosts my confidence in this product.

So what is the story with all these fancy terms?

Does radiant + hybrid = induction? OR are these all

different features?

Also, how about a reliable site for appliance reviews?

Many of these sites are really just advertisments and

retail sites to purchase products.

Thanks in advance for your help! Keeping up with

the hi-tech changes in appliances has been very

challenging! Definitely a "sign of the times!"

Comments (10)

• herring_maven
    13 years ago

tracee asks: "So what is the story with all these fancy terms? Does radiant + hybrid = induction? OR are these all different features?"

They are different. Wood fires, gas/propane burners, and electric (coil) burners ALL use energy sources to create HEAT at the cooktop/range surface, then transfer the energy in the form of heat to the pot or pan by CONDUCTION.

To a minor extent, gas/propane burners and, to a greater extent, ribbon radiant burners, use energy sources to create HEAT at the cooktop/range surface, then transfer the energy in the form of heat to the pot or pan by RADIATION.

The difference: hold your hand six or eight inches above an "on" electric (coil or radiant) burner; you will receive heat energy in the form of radiation, and it will be hot, but bearable in the short term. Put your hand (don't: imagine it, instead) onto the electric coil or the Ceran surface of a ribbon radiant burner, and your flesh would immediately be seared from the heat of conduction.

Induction uses electricity to create a rapidly reversing magnetic field, not heat. When a pot or pan made of magnetic material is placed in that magnetic field, heat is created IN THE POT OR PAN by friction between molecules inside the material of the pot. The cooktop/range does not generate heat on its own, but some heat from the pot or pan gets transmitted FROM the pot or pan TO the Ceran cooktop by conduction, just as your wood table gets hot when you put a hot pot onto it.

The term hybrid is sometimes applied to cooktops/ranges where some of the burners generate heat (ribbon radiant) and some of the burners are induction. We formerly had one of those. In practice, we never used the ribbon radiant burners except when the induction burners all were already occupied. Once one has used induction to cook, it is very, very rare that one voluntarily uses another method.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

I also can't see any advantage of a hybrid range other than you can use certain nonstick or copper pans that would not work on the induction.

Appliances go onsale. There are floor models and overstocks. So, you may be able to get induction for a great deal like we did.

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

Radiant uses an electric coil or ribbon underneath the glass to heat the bottom of the pan. The glass gets hot. Things will stick and burn.

Induction heats the pan directly (it INDUCES a current in the pan itself which then heats up). The glass doesn't get as hot. Things won't stick and burn (unless you put them under the pan and keep them there for a while).

Hybrid means a mix of the two technologies. There will be two induction 'burners' and two-three radiant burners.

I don't think I've seen an induction cooktop with rotary dial controls other than the Viking.

• plllog
    13 years ago

The reason for hybrids is marketing. "You don't need to get all new pots." They were more popular in Europe where there are a lot of very inexpensive units marketed to the low end, and also where people may be using the same re-tinned copper pots their grannies had. A lot of Americans are more willing to just buy new pots if necessary. Electrolux is now a European brand, so that makes sense if they're making the Frigidaire.

If you like the range in question, there's no reason not to buy it. The knobs look nice.

BTW, for separate cooktops, which is what I think Weedmeister must be referring to, Gaggenau and Cooktek (a professional brand) both have knobs. Gaggenau is top priced so most people choose savings over the knob, but it exists.

• herring_maven
    13 years ago

pillog writes: "Electrolux is now a European brand, so that makes sense if they're making the Frigidaire."

Electrolux always has been a European brand (started in Sweden). Frigidaire originally was the appliance division of General Motors, but Electrolux has owned the brand for a couple of decades now. I think that Frigidaire was one of the brands that passed through the White Consolidated Industries fiasco.

• traceee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you every one for your responses....after hours and miles of research on line, you have all helped to clarify
    some of these different features---just like that!!!

The Frigidaire slide-in range has 2 induction burners.
    Maybe "knobs" wasn't the right term - mostly I am leary
    of the ranges with "touch pad" controls (mostly cos' of
    budget concerns and potential computer failures).

I am still going to continue to look and research. I wish
    someone would just tell me what brand to buy, I have a
    local appliance center, eager to help me and matching
    prices since this is an entire kitchen remodel! Reviews
    are mostly followed with a sales pitch! My brand
    choices seem limited. GE vs. Elecrolux vs. Frigidaire vs. Bosch!

Thanks again!!!

• herring_maven
    13 years ago

traceee writes: "I wish someone would just tell me what brand to buy, I have a local appliance center, eager to help me and matching prices since this is an entire kitchen remodel! Reviews are mostly followed with a sales pitch! My brand choices seem limited. GE vs. Elecrolux vs. Frigidaire vs. Bosch!"

I am not about to tell you what brand to buy, but I am happy to add a new complication. [grin] You started by writing that you were looking for a "slide-in range." You can expand your range (no pun intended) of choices dramatically if you consider separate cooktops and "wall" ovens (which need not be installed in a wall, but can be installed in a cabinet beneath or next to the cooktop).

• dan1888
    13 years ago

Ikea's $1k cooktop has a five year warranty to go with the touch controls.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea induction

• lrmiller
    13 years ago

Tracee, How are you doing with that decision? I'm struggling with the same thing, and have been tempted by the hybrid. BUT.
    We're cooking in our temporary basement kitchen with a (Burton) induction hotplate and it is love it! We have boiled over the oatmeal (with milk in it) three times since it's so fast. But, you just turn it off and it instantly stops boiling, and you then can immediately wipe off the hotplate and pot - the hotplate is so smooth and still cool. The easy cleanup is amazing.
    The appliance salespeople (I'm in Seattle) tell me to buy GE and not Frigidaire/Electrolux, but I think I'll go for the Electrolux anyway.

• dodge59
    13 years ago

The problem with the Hybrid is the surface will still get hot enough on the non induction part of it to burn stuff on, and in fact , might even get the induction areas hot enough to burn stuff on,-----so you lose one of inductions biggest advantages----ease of cleaning, nothing else comes close , gas--even closed burners, or smooth top electric.

Also when these Hybrid units first came out, I found a number of post that indicated they just flat didn;t work, and I have yet to see a positive review on one, alto to be honest , I haven't looked for a while.

Just from my experience with my Elux Icon Induction cooktop, along with an Elux Oven and Elux Speed Oven as well as an Elux Wine Fridge---all service call free since installed (June of 2006), I would lean towards the Elux---but I just have a "Thing" about keeping service ppl outta my house and I buy accordingly.

Good Luck with your decision!

Gary