Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

How wide is your cab for 36" induction cook top? x-post

lisa_a
9 years ago

I've ordered a 36" Bosch induction cook top, NIT8666SUC. I thought that it would fit in a 36" cab but the cab maker spec'd a cab larger than 36".

I checked the spec sheet for this cook top. The cut-out requirement is 34 3/4 to 34 7/8. It also calls for 1" min from cutout to wall. Does "wall" mean cab wall or kitchen wall? I'm starting to think it means cab wall.
I never expected that this cook top would require a non-stock cab size. Not a problem for us but it's still surprising.

(I would prefer to have that extra width, as little as it is, go to another bank of drawers on my cook top run. I've been making do with two 12" deep, 30" wide shelves for all my pots and pans for years. I'm going to have so much room for pots and pans after I remodel.)

x-post in kitchen forum

Comments (5)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I have a 30" Bosch induction cooktop in a 30" inch cabinet, no problem I can't imaginne why a 36" wouldn't fit in a 36" cabinet.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, sjhockeyfan! You answered the question I asked you on the kitchen forum.

I'm going to talk to my GC and the cab designer and hopefully get the cab sized down just a wee bit more.

• kaseki
    9 years ago

In order to get UL and similar entity approval, the manufacturer has to establish installation instructions that account for whatever worst case scenario UL etc. specifies. Proximity to wood cabinet walls is one limit; another is distance to a shelf or other wood panel below the unit. Spacing will depend on wording, that is, whether the one-inch is measured from the cut-out size, the glass cooktop size, or the actual dimensions of the housing that hangs from the cooktop. In any case, one inch plus three-quarters inch is a total width increase of three and one-half inches more than whatever part of the unit the gap is measured against.

To answer the question, my 36-inch Kenmore Elite (Electrolux Icon clone) sits in a cabinet that is 42 inches wide, outside dimension. I can't recall whether I defined this size based on the induction cooktop's installation rules, or by one of the many other factors that affected the kitchen design, such as preplanned ease of repair, or door width for pull out wire shelving.

For stone countertops, it is also worth considering early whether your design will lead to significant weight (including filled pots or leaning guests) being borne on relatively narrow pieces of stone countertop that might need supplementary support underneath. I guess we should include bearing some of the weight of the person who has to clean inside the hood now and then.

kas

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

My 36 inch cooktop is in a 37 inch cabinet.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, kaseki and a2gemini! Sorry for my late response, I don't know how I missed these replies, I had the alert notice turned on but it seems it didn't work.

kaseki, your response solidified that the wall named in the installation instructions - "1" minimum clearance from the cook top cutout to the wall" - means cab side (something lost in translation maybe). I'll talk to my GC about the install and see what he advises but at this point, I'm leaning towards following the instructions.