Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdknyc_gw

Dual zone UC wine cooler: Subzero or Miele?

jdknyc
12 years ago

Originally we were thinking of getting the Liebherr WU4000, but friends of ours didn't have a good experience with them. Now we're choosing between the Subzero 424G and the Miele KWT4154UG1. The Subzero seems to consistently get great reviews on this forum. Haven't heard anything about the Miele but its shorter depth would allow me greater room for storage in my island. It's also slightly less pricey. If anyone has suggestions, please share! Thank you!!

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/424G.html

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/KWT4154UG1.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele wine cooler

Comments (8)

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

I mentioned this earlier today. Check out Perlick. Unbelievable. I thought sub-zero was great...and then I saw the Perlick. whoa. AND...I have found the place with the deals! Perlick sells Factory Seconds. If you are building it in, it really doesn't matter if it has a little ding on the top or the side, etc.

The man that I worked with is named Scott. Give him a call, tell him what you are looking for and he can help you out. He might find something that isn't listed on the website. They will ship it to you, pretty inexpensively too.

I was quoted $2k in the store for the one I'm getting for $860. It has a small dent on the side. I hope the cabinet next to it won't be offended!

Call Scott. Tell him I (Karen) told you to call.

Here is a link that might be useful: Perlick's Fatory Seconds

• jdknyc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Beekeeperswife! I'm looking for a 24" UC dual zone, but not sure if Perlick offers one. Regardless I'll definitely check them out because you never know!

• dodge59
    12 years ago

Good advice on the Perlicks. They are one of the few, and maybe the "Only" that offers variable speed compressors on their wine fridges.

Sooooo, what's the big deal about a variable speed commpressor??? Better temp control, (less temp fluctuation for your wines). More efficient. Less "Cycling" (on/off).

Need proof???

Remove the accelerator pedal from your car and replace it with an on/off switch and then get in and drive that succer,
    (if you dare)!!!! The motor is either full on or full off, just like wine coolers or even fridges/freezers with old style compressors. They have to "Overcool", then shut the motor off, wait for contents to get "Too warm" and then come back on full blast---very "Ancient Technology" and Yep I have one, An Elux Wine Fridge, it does OK, but why not do better???? At least I did with my 48 JA built in Fridge!

Good luck on your choices!!

Gary

• jankkp
    8 years ago

Our Subzero 424, built-in undercabinet dual zone wine cooler is slowly losing its ability to cool, though we regularly maintain it. Estimates are $800-$1000 to repair it. It cost over $4k new. What a waste. We will be replacing it with a less expensive brand.

• J K
    8 years ago

Check out True......they specialize in commercial beverage refrigeration and they have now entered the residential market. I'd expect Subzero to be good too....disappointing to hear such problems.

• deetle63
    6 years ago

I have a subzero . After the novelty of having one wore off , its unrefined short comings is all what I have left every day .

Soft close drawers have been standard for nearly a decade in high end kitchen , and here is s 2016 appliance that likes to slap the door close every time. No other appliance does that in my kitchen.

the wine rack make this metal on metal clocking sound when you slide them out or in.

The wine racks are out of metal and when you add bottles you get this glass on metal clonking sound .

Should I even mention push to open ?

The lighting is way to bright for a great room , it lights up nearly the home room when watching movies

come on sub zero live up to the hipe

• Barn Dog
    3 years ago

I have 424 subzero and its been nothing but problemsls with coolant and cooling. Serviced every year. Finally got someone knowledgable to come, they fixed and worked great for half year but now making a loid buzzing oise but cooling works great now. I would not recommend it.