Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

What can a Bluestar do American Range Performer can't?

julieste
11 years ago

I'm still in range-purchasing limbo. This is a much more difficult decision than I thought it would be. I saw a floor model Performer that is discounted, and it is a lot cheaper than the RNB even if I factor in the cost to get a new door in a color rather than just sticking with the ss the floor model is.

I've seen both the BS and the Performer in person and know there are differences in components, congfigurations and design. But, cooking-wise, is there an advantage to the BS over the AR? The BS is quite a bit more money even if one doesn't find a floor model.

Thanks.

Comments (18)

• julieste
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LeCake--

Yes, isn't making this decision the pits? And, to make it harder there just isn't that much info out there about American Range. How did you manage to speak to the engineer who designs the ranges? Did you contact the manufacturer? I am also interestd in your comment about these being one of the most insulated ranges and wonder if their door's exterior would be cooler than the Bluestar that so many people have commented on. You were lucky to speak to the engineer to have your questions answered. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

• LeCake
    11 years ago

I was very lucky to speak to him! The last part of our conversation was how well insulated they are, like their commercial ovens. He made a point to say they are so insulated the outside oven stays cool, and not to worry about the surrounding counters and cabinets, or kids around it. He spends much time testing them out cooking different items. Hope this helps!

• julieste
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great help! Thanks much!

• dodge59
    11 years ago

Need info, there's a bit of "Barking up the wrong Tree" here, at least as far as how hot the oven door gets.

Electrolux advertised "The coolest door in the Industry" and indeed mine is cool.

But that is NOT a function of the insulation, but rather how they control airflow on the inside of the door. Note that most of your higher end ovens (Electrolux included) have "Double glass panes separated by and empty area" on the oven door. This along with
    the way they handle airflow in that area is what actually keeps the oven doors so cool.

Not having a Blue Star, I don't know if they have the double panes or the American Performer, for that matter, but as I see you are concerned about the oven door temp, it might be best to find out what American does, to try to keep the door cool.

Gary

• LeCake
    11 years ago

Have you gone to the American Range website? Look up the performer and check out their spec sheet. Check out the performers innovection heat pattern.

• julieste
    Original Author
    11 years ago

American Range's website is pretty useless we've discovered. They seem to have a standard template they use for all of their product info sheets whether or not it actually applies to that particular product. And, some of these are inaccurate according to other things they publish. I finally had to contact an AR rep to get some correct info.

Now, after all of this, AR may be a no-go for us anyway because of the depth of their range. We have a configuration where their extra depth (compared to some of the other manufacturers) probably is too deep for us.

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

And note also that AR's manual forbids manually lighting burners in a power outage, a point that will be of concern to those looking for AG ranges with minimal electronics. This is one thing a BlueStar can do.

This post was edited by JWVideo on Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 17:11

• numomi2005
    11 years ago

We too were considering the Performer and were put off by the 30" depth. So we took the 4 hour drive to see one in person and actually measure it. The depth from the rear to the front of the stove is 24" not including the door. That works for us since our countertops/cabinets are 24" deep. Include the door and you are at 26". Include the handle and you are at 30". We are going for it, but not until June. My concern was the body of the range protruding from the cabinets. It doesn't , just the door, which my current 20 year old stove also does.

• julieste
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It was the depth including the protrusion of the handle that made it too deep for our configuration. Because of how far the handle protrudes, we wouldn't have been able to open a drawer in the adjacent counter of our L-shaped configuration.

• cgold
    9 years ago

I have a 14 year old Heartland dual fuel range. It is beautiful but has been plagued with functional issues so I am ready to say goodbye rather than invest another 700.00 for new hinges and a new control panel. It is self clean. After much research I think I want to invest in the American Range but am struggling to decide between the Medallion, the Heritage and the Cuisine. The Medallion is the most expensive but has the dual fuel and the self clean. I have never had a non-self clean oven. The Heritage has a larger oven capacity but is all gas and the innovection feature. Does anyone have any advice?

• lmarie97
    9 years ago

We are just now designing a new kitchen and I have been looking at both Blue Star and American Range... I'm leaning toward American but will go for a live test in a week or so to make my decision

• alexrander
    9 years ago

I've also have spoken to an American Range engineer and I know a little about the Heritage model. I wanted to help a neighbor who needed an oven glow igniter replaced so I called American to order the part and ask a few questions.

The Heritage is an all gas, sealed burner, like their Cuisine but with a bit nicer appointments, led lights, slightly better broiler and more powerful convection. Sort of their 'deluxe' model. Lot's of insulation in the back when I took it apart and very well made. But that doesn't mean that the oven door doesn't get toasty . She says it does. The owner is very happy with it.

The Performer and Cuisine are slightly simpler but have the same cooking abilities. The Performer has the open burners so it will 'perform'... the Cuisine gives you an extra burner.

The Medallion gives you the nice bits of the Heritage with an electric oven.

• Felicia Saucier
    8 years ago

I currently own an American Range DF 36" with 6 burners. I bought the floor model, not a huge discount on the cost, BUT it did take away from the length of the warranty time for me, as in shortened it by 6 months, strike 1 against AR. Also, in the first year I owned it died just before Thanksgiving, so I had no oven for a full week, but only because I bought the replacement part, and paid for 2nd day shipping to get it replaced asap. Then this year, I thought the sail had died again, but no, this time was the Control Panel at a list price of $800.00. For the large expense of this range, to have to have it fixed 2 times in less than 3 yrs, and no warranty on the parts or labor, too pricey and I would not recommend American Range to a home owner. When it works, it's great, I love the 36" oven and that I can have my canner on the stove and still have space to make dinner. But, the "fix" for the sail part, now makes a noise half the time so it sounds like the oven is going to break again. I would look at a Garland to see if they offer a dual fuel, or get a subzero or wolf. No real warranty from American Range, and one of the repair companies I spoke with was charging a surcharge to come and look at it because "I bought a high end stove, so we charge more just to come to your house". I was not a happy camper, and there are only 2 service techs in my area that service American Range. Best of luck!

• PRO
    Elle Ryan Design
    7 years ago

Have you seen any increase in service/support in recent times? I have a client interested in an American Range but the reviews I see online don't bode well for the company...

• PRO
    The Maine Spruce House
    3 years ago

My 5 year old American Range looks so pretty, but I am on my 5th igniter for my ranges gas oven. My last igniter lasted just 3 months. American Range customer support is terrible, nothing is ever their fault.

I also have an American Range french door electric wall oven. It takes about 45 minutes to preheat. So if you have all day to bake, this is the oven for you...If you have a busy house and cook often, avoid this one.

• janice Crews-Dearing
    3 years ago

I have a 4 year old 36" American Range Performer series range. I am on my 6th igniter. The first two happened within the 1st year and was covered. The last 4 were at my expense to the tune of about $800 with parts and labor. The last one I purchases lasted 3-1/2 months it went out two weeks after the warranty period ended. Now both the broiler and the oven Igniters are out, poor quality and service and now the company that use to service the range will not touch it. They stated poor quality, they no longer sell the brand.

• PRO
    The Maine Spruce House
    3 years ago

I am glad to hear your experience as I have had a similar one. I do not know how American Range is still in business. The customer service is terrible. They thoughtfully sold me new ignitors for 40% off. Unfortunately, I know they do not last long, so I ordered 3 to make sure I had spares. American Range suggested I had an issue with my gas lines...certainly not the case, my gas company along with another company have looked at the range several times.