Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gayl

Miele single oven

gayl
13 years ago

I have a chance to purchase (from a private party) a Miele H4880BP, manufactured in 2008, never been installed. I can get it for somewhere between 1/2 and 1/3 cost. Anyone know much about this oven, any problems with them, will Miele honor an old warranty if purchased from a private party? Thoughts? Thanks!

Comments (13)

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

I have that model but in Perfect Clean, not the self-cleaning. 0 issues. Excellent performer. No idea about warranty or differences that might arise if it's not perfect clean.

• antss
    13 years ago

Miele might honor the warranty if in fact it was never installed and was never registered. You'd have to call them with the serial # though , because they are the guarantor.

• gayl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your input...I'll check into that warranty. That could probably be a deal-breaker if it is not covered. Do you see any problems with a 3 year old machine that has been just sitting around?

• gayl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, the owner just told me that the model number is different from what he first gave me. It is H4780B. Does anyone know how this is different from what he originally told me and how that would affect the original price? Thanks!

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

Miele has an outlet. Cannot remember how to find them -- perhaps rhome recalls. They have a phone number you can call. Those folks have some of the older stuff -- perhaps you can trace it that way. If they have that series for sale...

• rhome410
    13 years ago

That is a smaller oven than the model number he first gave you, which would have been a 30". AJMadison lists it as a 28". More current models (4742B and 4842B) of those sizes both sell for $3049 on AJMadison.

To get to the Miele outlet, go to Miele.com and click on "Miele Store" at the bottom of the page, put in your zip, and continue through to the outlet store...No ovens on there of that model for our zips, Gharborwa.

• gayl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. I've contaced Miele, so I'm hoping someone gets back to me. does anyone know the interior dimensions of this model? I can't seem to find that kind of info.

• gayl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone..just heard from Miele that they will honor the warranty only for original purchaser, even if it has never been installed. Advice?

• dodge59
    13 years ago

Unless you absolutely have to have a Miele, I would look elsewhere. You never did mention the actual asking price of the unit, so it's a bit difficult to offer you "other Apples" other than oranges.

Goggle the model number and then reviews or problems, but be a bit careful of the ones ya find using "Problems" as the're could be a tendency to "Pile On" or "Me Too", so to speak.

This should give you some idea of what your odds are.

Myself, I at least, want a one year warranty on any appliance I buy, even Elux and Jenn-air which have been trouble free for over 4 years now.Mojavean posted about fixing his own Miele coffee System, "Stuff just happens" better to be protected.

There could also be parts in the discontinued model that soon will be hard to find. If you check some of the Appliance forums, You will see lotsa complaints about this sort of thing(Not talking about just Miele) but talking about appliances, not all that old.

Anwway , couple of things to think about!

Lotsa Luck!

Gary

• gayl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The asking price is 2/3 of original price, but they say they are pretty flexible, so I was hoping for 1/2 price. I don't HAVE to have a Miele, but I do lots of baking and want very good reliablity and consistant temps. Is there anywhere you can buy a warranty on such an item?

• dodge59
    13 years ago

First thing I would do is check appliance repair shops in your area and see if they service that particular model Miele--hopefully a repair store that you are familiar with.

You could also google H4780B repair and perhaps your zip code and see what turns up.

When you talked to Miele, did you ask them if you could BUY a service contract?

Any repair shops that you find be sure to check them out thoroughly BBB rating, google them and reviews, check with neighbors etc etc.

If that is a "Perfect Clean oven" ask for inside pictures.
    I saw quite a few complaints on the net about the coating disappearing after about a year and was impossible to clean, However, The Ladies that have them on GW are very happy with them and no complaints, but a picture mite offer some "Security"?

Hope this helps, also if you give us your location, maybe some here , can recommend good repair shops to deal with.

More than likely, any repair shop will want to do an inspection (and charge you for it) before offering you a service contract. It would be nice for you if you could combine an Install/inspection call as one.

Later

Gary

• gayl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much, Gary. Just heard back from Miele and they will only offer a warranty if purchased from an authorized dealer, not private party. I'm not sure if a pic of the inside of the oven would mean anything if it has never been installed...wouldn't it look pretty pristine? I will check with a repairman around here and see what he has to say. Thanks again for all your help, not only now, but on many other threads!