Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alberta_rose

how to change appliance color

alberta_rose
16 years ago

We're moving into our new house shortly & can't afford to buy all new appliances. We bought new stainless gas range & OTR microwave, but our Bosch dishwasher is white (only 3 years old) and our Kenmore Elite side-by-side fridge (1 year old) is bisque. I've pretty much decided it's impossible to change the fridge (slightly curved front), but what can I do about the dishwasher? How would I go about buying a replacement panel for the front, and then what about the control panel & buttons? Or, what about getting an insert made to match my cabinets? Any ideas are appreciated!

Comments (8)

• plllog
    16 years ago

I don't know about replacement panels, you might try checking with the manufacturers.

Re the fridge, there is spray appliance paint. It has to be applied very evenly, with all the no-paint areas very well masked, to look good, but it can. I think there are also some roll on enamels which work. If you're going to paint you really should uninstall the appliance and do it outside.

There's also some plastic film, similar to the kind they use for wrapping buses with advertisements, which you can apply. It's a lot less mess, though also takes a steady hand.

I don't know prices, but it also might be worth the money to get rolls of magnet cloth and paint them to match then cut them to size. Or you can get sheets of stainless metal and cut them to size and use magnet or adhesive to adhere it. This last would work for the DW too.

• ci_lantro
    16 years ago

You might check with an auto body shop about getting the frig painted--either white to match the DW or in a platinum color to blend with the SS. Or keep an eye of Craig's list, etc. for a used SS frig. I notice quite a few for sale in my area--people moving & wanting to sell appliances or deciding that they don't like the SS look.

• Fori
    16 years ago

If you have little kids, or like a casual look, maybe chalkboard paint on the DW would be appealing. Maybe not. :)

Anyway, your only problem is the fridge doesn't match the DW--the stove and microwave can be considered neutral. As soon as you get those two mismatches the same color you won't notice the range as being off-color.

• cpovey
    16 years ago

Paint-Autobody shop best, spray can is lots of work, not as durable (not baked on).

Panels and similar from Frigo design-Excellent company to deal with, lots of options, excellent customer service.

Here is a link that might be useful: Frigo Designs

• julie_va
    16 years ago

You might check behind the door of your dishwasher. Ours has 3 or 4 different panels that enable us to change as desired. Also, I saw a show on a cable network that took sheets of some kind of brushed chrome with an adhesive on the back. The people put it on all the appliances and it looked nice. I'll be darned, though, if I can remember which show it is. Maybe Home Depot or Lowes may be familiar with it.

• vegas_t
    16 years ago

I saw on a home decorating show recently some kind of sticky backed SS looking paper. At first I thought how cheesy but after they applied it to the dishwasher you would have never known it didnt come that way!

• Lindsey_CA
    16 years ago

Our fridge was not the right color when we bought this house and chose the flooring, counters, etc. Didn't want to get rid of the fridge because we love it and haven't found another that we like as much.

So, I had it re-enameled. The great thing was that the company came to pick it up at the old house and then delivered it to this house, so we didn't have to hassle moving it!

I don't remember now how much it cost, because it was years ago, but it wasn't much at all; and they did a great job. You'd never know the fridge didn't come this color from the factory.

It's slate blue. :-)