Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris11895

Bertazzoni Opinions (Fan & Heat Question)

chris11895
14 years ago

Hi,

We're looking at updating our appliances and I am specifically focused on the range. This is for a second home where we spend three months a year and when we do we do some heavy entertaining, and we both also love to cook. Because we're not there all year we really don't want to spend the $$ on a Wolf, Viking, etc. While shopping for appliances I saw the Bertazzoni and admit I fell in love with it's looks. I've read a lot of positive reviews but have read a few things about a fan running while it's cooking and that you can't turn it off? Also that this fan/vent seems to make the kitchen very hot. Does anyone own one of these and can comment on it? Any insight at all would be much appreciated!! Lastly, if anyone has recommendatins for another range in that price point, we'd lve to hear them! Thanks!

Comments (71)

• nabq
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

PS @ Celinahex again: Look up the GardenWeb thread called "Bertazzoni Thread #3". If you scroll down you'll see a picture of a Bertazzoni one of our fellow Gardenwebbers has installed with a non-Viking microwave over it.

• MaggiM
    12 years ago

I am a brand new Bertazzoni owner and went looking on the internet for questions on the fan. The cooling fan is so loud you can hear it all over the house. There is no discernable difference between the cooling fan and the convection fan in noise or air volume. I see posts about how quiet the fan is and I wonder if I should call service already.

This is a 30 in dual fuel with self-cleaning oven.

• chris11895
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi! I originally started this thread and now own an all gas 36" master series. Our fan is not loud, but I have no idea if dual fuel would be different? I can't imagine why it would be. By "all over the house" do you mean you can hear it upstairs or in the next room? Is it louder than your range hood? I'd probably call service, to make sure there is nothing wrong with it.

Nabq: what type of cooking does your Mother typically do? Has she looked at the Bertazzoni oven size or are you doing the research for her? Make sure you bring your most commonly used pan to the dealer and see how it fits before you buy one.
    Ours is in our summer place on Cape Cod and I have no complaints given the way I cook when we're there. However, at our main home I roast a ton all winter. I roast a 10lb chicken once a week, and I once did this on the Cape and noticed I couldn't fit another pan in at the same time. It was not the width, but the height. For example, a lot of times I'll roast the chicken and when it has about 20 minutes left I'll throw something else in on the rack below it. This wasn't possible when I tried it with the Berta. However, my solution for this is to get a Breville Smart Oven for down there. I have one in our home now and in addition to it being our toaster, I use it for roasting veggies all of the time. I won't get into to how much I love the Smart Oven :-) Anyhow, that is my experience and my only complaint is with doing my big chickens and something else at the same time :-) but if you don't cook like that it wouldn't be a problem and I otherwise love it.

• MaggiM
    12 years ago

Chris - Well it's 1000 sq ft, open plan but I can hear it with the powder room door closed and the den door closed. It is louder than the range hood by a mile. A Wolf (6 burner) owner is not impressed by the noise and declares the Wolf to be louder. I would call the folks that sold it to me but the customer service during the sale was so bad I just really don't want to deal with them.

So I guess I should call Bertazonni for a repair option.

Oh and I had the cabinets set up with a custom shelf etc for my Breville so I'm with you on the versatility of that oven.

• MaggiM
    12 years ago

Well I just got off the phone with Bertazzoni service. They claim that their fan is loud and that I might not be used to such a loud fan. They are willing to send service out to look at it but if it is determined that there is nothing wrong I will have to pay for the service call. But that I should be warned that it is just a very loud fan.

So that's how this ends. I'm hoping something really goes wrong with it so that I can get service to hear the fan.

• segesta
    12 years ago

MaggiM: I've owned a Bertazzoni Professional gas 30" for a week now, and the cooling fan is not loud at all. I wonder if there are any dual fuel Berta owners who can weigh in, if the loud fan is a quirk of the DF version or maybe you truly have a messed up fan. Louder than a vent hood is crazy.

• chris11895
    Original Author
    12 years ago

MaggiM: Hopefully another dual-fuel owner will chime in but I also agree this sounds like something is wrong. I'd take the chance on the appliance repair. It's a shame you're not happy with your purchase so I'd want to see if it can be fixed.

• Rose_Lafarga_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Hi just bought a berta 30inch pro series and it is set to be delivered week after next. When I pulled the specs for the install it shows I need the gas line on the right and electric plug on the left
    My new kitchen is the opposite. Am wondering if current owners can tell me if this will be an issue? The gas line is pretty flexible but is the electric cord short or is it at least 10 inches long??

Much appreciated may need to has electrician back

• elaineycabaney
    12 years ago

Rosie, I would be concerned as to the safety of the electric cord crossing over the gas line. check with the appliance store dealer and/or your gas co.

Celinahex: I was originally planning on getting an otr microwave for my 30" Bertazonni but happily, my plans have changed. There should not be a problem with any of them since they are all made to withstand the heat of a gas range, as per Consumer Reports Kitchen Issue. They also state that higher cfm's do not necessarily translate to better ventilation. A fan should have two speeds and more than three speeds is unnecessary. However, OTR Microwaves and down draft ventilation both lack in perfomance to dedicated vent hoods. That being said, I liked the looks of the Fridgidaire Professional OTR Microwave, it's all silver...has only about 340 cfm's I believe.

• mtaylor02_q_com
    12 years ago

WE just had a 36" Professional series all gas installed today based very much on the info I read here in the last few weeks so thanks to all of you who post here.

MaggieM: The fan in the door is noticeably loud for us given that our previous oven had no such feature. I was quite surprised. It is not louder than our range hood but the two running together makes quite a hum. I'm sure we'll get used to it but there may not be anything wrong with yours.

The surprise was the heat of the cooking surface, especially the area behind the rear burners and the back vent which I found unbelievably hot. I could not put my finger on it for more than a second or two and it would definitely burn if left more than that. Has anyone else experienced this ? I am wondering if we did some wrong when installing the rear backsplash. We can feel air coming from the front of the door but it is not hot so I am wondering if the hot air is not routing correctly and just going up the back or something.

Thanks for any ideas. I don't the range is safe to have in the house if this is normal but I don't want to go through the hassle of returns etc.

• corgibob
    12 years ago

Hello all!
    I have been using my 36" Pro Berta for about 2 months and it is still a dream come true! Friends visited this past weekend and while I was away, they were able to use it without issue as well.
    Re: Fan. We really don't find the fan to be loud at all. Sure, you can hear it, but it sounds like our (now deceased) OTR micro on it's lowest setting. Our kitchen is quite small, but I have no problem listening to the radio or hearing the tv in the other room. The fan does not overwhelm.
    Re: Heat. Yes, the backsplash does get VERY hot. I have not found this to be a problem and only discovered it while trying to clean up spatters while 4 burners and the oven were all going.
    P.S. Cleaning has not been any issue. I actually enjoy wiping it down and watching it shine! I just use water and a microfiber cloth before bedtime. (No, I don't always clean up right after the meal!) I also make it a habit to rub a wet cloth around the oven walls/racks once a week whether I've used it or not. I've had a few spills but they came right up with the addition of a little baking soda and everything still looks sparkling new!

• MaggiM
    12 years ago

Rosie -
    The distance for the gas is very unforgiving. It needed to be within three inches of the hood that covers the connection. I think this might depend on the code for your area. I had to have the gas moved to the exact spot since our code didn't allow any additional hose between the gas value and the stove connector.
    I can't speak to the electrical since I had that added and the electrician had the Bertazonni specs when he located the outlet.

• bossanova2
    12 years ago

I just installed a dual fuel 30" Pro Bertazzoni (X304PIRX) last week. I am awaiting cupboard installation, but tired of take-out food so I've started using the range already! LOVE the burner selection and simmer; cleaning is a breeze. I had an Electrolux dual fuel before this and find the burners on the Berta definitely superior. However... I just put a bird in the oven to roast and although I don't anticipate the oven size to be an issue, I think the oven fan is! I honestly think it's louder than the VentaHood, and it NEVER shuts off. I thought maybe once the oven had come up to temp, it would turn off, but it runs the whole time the oven is on. I switched over to convection, and quite honestly, I didn't notice any change in the noise from the additional fan. This is a 100 year old house that we took to the studs and now have an open concept on the main floor, so hopefully once the cabinets are in, the sound of the oven fan won't be so noticeable.

• jcieutat
    12 years ago

I just ordered the 30" Master Series for our kitchen. We are replacing our existing NG stove. I am starting to get concerned because our existing range hood does not vent out. I ordered the recirculation kit with the Berta range hood. Is it going to be too hot recirculating?

I also noticed that the salesman did not advise to me to order the duct cover and it appears that I should have. We are mounting the hood below our cabinet.

Any suggestions?

• MaggiM
    12 years ago

BossaNova - Thank heavens I'm not nuts. I agree with everything you said. I do find the burners superior. I'm actually a cook more than a baker so I'm going to suffer with the oven but love the range.

• pdquick
    12 years ago

I just had a Bertazzoni gas range installed today, and I've already noticed the fan issue. There is a fan that blows from behind the control panel onto the top of the door to keep the door cool. This has nothing to do with the convection. If you're standing in front of the range while the oven is on, hot air blows hot air right at you. I'm thinking this won't be a huge problem, but if you're cooking something that requires attention on the stovetop while the oven is on, it could be. According to the manual, the range pulls 300W while it's operating.

The plug on the electrical cord is a straight-on plug. If your plug is directly behind the range, you won't be able to push the range all the way to the wall.

• corgibob
    12 years ago

I searched for a thread regarding long-term Bertazzoni owners and could no longer find it so I'll post here.
    I have now had my Bertazzoni nearly one year (36", 6 burner)! I am very pleased to report that I love it as much as the day I first gushed about it on this thread last spring. The fan is not an issue. It blows a little air, but not overwhelmingly hot or excessive. My kitchen is very small (10' x 8'). If heat were an issue, my tiny space would be a furnace in no time! I often use all 6 burners and am so grateful for each and every one! I still haven't learned how to cook with the convection feature yet. I keep telling myself I'll do it next time, but am nervous. I haven't been as diligent about wiping it down, inside and out, every week lately, but I just find that clean-up takes a little extra elbow grease, that's all. I just use water and a microfiber cloth most of the time. I've used a little spritz of easy-off here and there at other times. It's still gorgeous and I use it 2-3 times every day.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my hood is the Broan, QP3 Series (http://www.broan.com/display/router.asp?ProductID=100765) which is absolutely fantastic! I have gotten into the habit of turning it on low when ever I'm using a couple of burners or the oven. Maybe it keeps the heat to a minimum? I highly recommend.

As far as the plug goes, I am able to push mine all the way against the wall. I can't remember, but I think mine had a recessed portion in the back that allowed for that. I have it attached to the wall with the brackets so I can't pull it out that easily.

The other thing I love (and never considered before) was having a range with legs. I never need to pull it out. I love being able to vacuum and sweep under it.

I am utterly thrilled almost a year later! Now I need to find a good dishwasher...

• ZsuR
    11 years ago

I am glad to read that so many of you love the Berta :)). I love it too - I have it for a month, and I love to cook even more...
    Baking however... I was not aware of the cooling fan, that is on when the oven is on - my mistake. It is very hot. Raises the temperature in the kitchen instantly, and very uncomfortable to be around the range.
    Is there anything that you can recommend to helpt it?
    Thank you!

• HIGGINS_MIKE
    11 years ago

I WAS ALSO NOT AWARE OF THE COOLING FAN. I THINK IT'S A TERRIBLE DESIGN FLAW. HOW COULD THAY MAKE A RANGE WITH AN OVEN THAT HEATS THE KITCHEN UP TO UNBEARABLE TEMPERATURES WHILE BAKING? DO THEY NOT BAKE MUCH IN ITALY? ARE THERE OTHER RANGES THAT HAVE TO COOL THE ELECTRONICS WITH A FAN WHILE THE OVEN IS ON? IS THERE SOME FEATURE THAT I COULD LIVE WITHOUT AND JUST BAKE OUT OF EXISTENCE BY DISCONNECTING THE FAN? IT SEEMS THE ONLY WAY TO SAVE THIS UNIT.

• steve.brooks
    10 years ago

Higgins_mike:

A cooling fan is in fact a terrific design attribute. The majority of professional style ranges have cooling fan. Difference is, they also have a control board. This board actives and de-activates the fan at a specified temperature set-point. The fan's purpose is to maintain a suitable temperature so the appliance can be installed with zero-clearance to combustible surfaces (wood). Bertazzoni gas ranges have NO electronics; that is, there is no green board being exposed to high heat that can fail down the road. The cooling fan in a Bertazzoni range will operate when the oven is on. It is a safety certification requirement and as an aside, it prevents a blast of hot in to the user when the oven door is opened.

As for heating up the kitchen, proper ventilation will help remove excess heat and not tax your HVAC system.

Steve

• dmzuniga
    10 years ago

Higgins_mike:

I agree that the Bertazzoni cabinet fan seems like a serious design flaw. Unlike commercial ranges that can't be installed next to cabinets, my 48" Bertazzoni (six burners/griddle/double ovens) must remove the heat from the range cabinet since it has wood cabinets installed on both sides of it.

So where do they dump the heat? Out the top (backsplash) riser and from ducts above both oven doors. It should be 75% out the top riser and 25% firing onto your thighs when you're cooking; instead, it seems just about the reverse of that. Most of the oven heat is getting blasted right at your legs (or crotch, if you're shorter).

This does appear, to me anyway, to be a design flaw. We have had our Bertazzoni about five years, and this "automatic instant kitchen heater" aspect of using our Bertazzoni ovens, is a real bummer.

Our custom-fabricated, commercial-style stainless steel hood liner (shown) uses a remote Fan-Tech 1000 cfm roof fan and silencer, so the heat removal from the top is superb.

But when the vent hood is cranked up to high, we have to crack a kitchen window for make-up air> So when using the ovens in the summer (like now) we are pulling 500-1000 cfm of hot outside air in through the kitchen. The Bertazzoni "leg-cooker" fans are not a nice design, any way you look at it.

I love the Bertazzoni burners for cooking; I like the electric griddle (it has always been just so-so). But I do hate using the ovens because of the 'heat-dump' fan -- and yes, it does remain on when the ovens are on, whether cooking on regular or convection setting. If you live in a cool or cold climate, this is not an issue.

As an engineer, I consider it a real design flaw in an otherwise flawless appliance.

Overall, however, I would keep 'Bertha'; we love the appliance for daily cooking and everyone that sees it, loves the beautiful design.

• Lauren529
    10 years ago

Just moved into a house and am a first time Bertazonni owner. Couple of questions:
    1. How long do you preheat the oven? Customer service said to preheat for 25 minutes if cooking something at 325 degrees. This seems so ridiculous, but how long do you typically let the oven preheat? This and the fact that it's not self cleaning are my only complaints about the oven.
    2. Suggestions for cooking my first turkey in this oven? Will have the turkey stuffed as well.

Any ideas/advice on the oven are greatly appreciated!!

• glenna
    10 years ago

I don't have any real experience with the Berta -- just messing around with it in the showroom. The oven fan blowing air out the Door top was a deal killer for me. I frequently use mt range top and oven simultaneously. That cold ( and then hot) air blasting my nether regions was distinctly uncomfortable. And I so wanted to love this range! It's a sexy little beast. It looks functional and so chic. Mbut the burners weren't tweaked properly and did a lot of clicking ,and the oven control had to be held on For 30 seconds before the oven kicked on. Plus the lowest heat is really high 275?). And the high heat is kinda low, if you bake a lot (500). Tell me somewhere out there are cooks lof all kinds who make lots of cool things with this range and begin to love that annoying fan that blows and blows and blows.

• alizarge
    9 years ago

Update, 24 August 2014:

We quickly found that the broiler was turning itself off spontaneously (not each time we used it, but often). Got in touch with Bertazzoni via their US site, and immediately got a call from their service firm in our area. Long story short, someone came out pretty much immediately, said it was a bit of debris that was blocking the gas jet (or maybe it was the igniter....I wasn't home, and I don't remember what my husband told me). He cleared it and now the broiler works perfectly, every time.

Original post:

A new Bertazzoni owner weighing in on this string. I have had my 30-inch Pro model, all gas, for a week. I've been cooking up a storm, trying out everything. Here's a point-by-point for anyone thinking over the stove decision (which was, by the way, my biggest and most agonizing decision, compared to which every other decision about the kitchen was easy).

1) Heat and fan issues. Yes, this stove runs hotter than my old coil-top electric. The burners are fast and hot, but I can turn down the left rear to a lovely simmer. The left front burner has actually two burner rings, and the inner ring works nicely as a simmer burner, if you use it on its own. The two right-hand burners are great for bringing beans, rice or lentils to a fast boil and then turning down to a reasonable simmer.

The fan goes on when you use the oven �" it comes on automatically, and blows most of the heat out the vents (over which you've installed the 4-inch vent cover that comes with the stove). When you open the oven door, heat certainly wafts out, but it doesn't feel any different from the heat that came out of my old oven.

The heat isn't bothersome, as we installed a 36-inch, 400 CFM hood with 3 speeds above the stove. We installed the larger hood because Consumer Reports recommended that for a stove and hood that are not installed between cupboards. This seems to work quite well; I'm glad I followed the recommendation.

The fan of the oven is less loud than the fan of the hood, which is certainly loud enough to notice but doesn't seem horrible to me. (It's my first ever hood after 26 years in this kitchen and many years before that, so I have little to compare it with. The noise seems about the same as hoods at my friends' houses or my mother's house. For people curious about brands, the hood is a Zephyr Breeze II.)

The oven is fantastic, but I can see you have to have an oven thermometer and get used to the actual temperatures. This evening I set the oven on 500 F, the highest setting, to make pita. I put my new oven thermometer in; after 15 minutes, the thermometer read 600 F. This was just fine for pita, but might not be quite so fine if you were baking something a bit fussier. We will try it later on for other baked things.

2) I have used the broiler, and it's terrific. I set the rack low to make toast and broil cheese onto it. I was pleased that the low rack setting meant I didn't burn the bread �" it just toasted nicely. The fan goes on after you shut off the broiler, I suppose to help dispel the heat quickly.

3) Different issue: cleaning. This is easy-peasy. All the stainless surfaces wipe very easily with a soft sponge. After I finish wiping down, I wipe off with a dry cotton or linen towel and it looks great. The cooktop is easy, too. Once you lift off the grills, you can wipe the entire cooktop very fast. I overboiled some rice, some lentils and splattered when sauteeing some tomatoes, and everything has wiped off easily.

Altogether, I am incredibly pleased with this stove. It's simple, fast to learn, has no electronic controls and is very pretty to look at.

This post was edited by AlizaRGE on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 19:04

• Ann D
    8 years ago

HI. I just had my 30 inch gas Bert put in and then went on vacation. I turned it on, (the oven that is,) and the temperature on the back piece in about ten minutes went to 280 degrees. I would have had third degree burns on my hand if I would have left it in place. The heat migrated up to the middle of the two back burners. The rest of the stove was cool including the front of the stove. I felt like my dry wall was going to burst into flame. Also, when I turned the stove on, the double burner,clicked like it was trying to ignite. I was assured by Bertazzoni, this was normal, and by the people I purchased it from. Do you seasoned veterans agree with this? Do I need to put something behind this stove? I do not have a vent above it, but just the Bertazzoni micro wave. I love the look,but just want your reassurance this is normal??????

Ann D

• Linda Gaio-Davidson
    8 years ago

So here I am, once again, reading posts about my belove Berta. I first posted in March 2011 after 2 weeks of use. Then I posted an update a year later. Still loved it. It has now been 4 years and my 36", 6 burner, Master series, along with my vented Broan hood continue to be the stars of my home.

We've had not a single issue with operation, maintenance, cleaning, etc. I had purchased the longest extended warranty with this range because I know from experience how appliamce repairs can add up. Every time I've had a repairman to my house (dishwasher n refrigerator) I have to ask their opinion about the Bertazzoni brand. It has been very comforting to hear that these beauties are very easy to repair since they rely on basic technology. An overwhelmingly common remark is "... but you won't have to worry about repairs--these don't break..." So far, this has been true.

Regarding the heat issue, as I mentioned before, I have a very small kitchen (yes, I gave up counterspace to accommodate my 36" Berta) and have never had a problem with the room becoming hot. By the way, I hate being hot--give me snowy winters any time! So many posters here complain about the fans venting tremendous amounts of hot air. All I can guess is that I have the perfect hood for my range.

I am still so pleased that I went with my Berta. I work full time, yet still cook at least 2 full meals a day and it does make mealtime more efficient and enjoyable. If I ever move, it (and the hood) are coming with me, no doubt.

♡♥♡

• zwizzle1
    8 years ago

Another Berta fan. My 30" Master all gas free standing range was installed 3 weeks ago and I've enjoyed getting to know her better. Yes, there is heat from the top of the oven door when it's on but I don't find it excessively heats up the kitchen and I have no problem using the range top while the oven is on. The oven fan is not that noisy - the convection fan is a bit more so. The top of the backsplash gets very hot while oven is on but I don't put any objects there and there is no reason to touch it. The oven door and surround does not get hot. My oven runs a bit hotter that the temp. setting but I have adjusted cook times and temps accordingly. I do use an oven thermometer and meat thermometer to help gauge doneness. So far, everything has come out to my satisfaction and Berta has helped produce some great meals for me and DH as well as company dinners. This Italian babe is not just another pretty face, she can cook, too!

Cleaning the range top is easy; so much better than my old gas range. Depending on what I've roasted, baked or broiled I clean the oven once a week. It's just another little chore, but I don't mind since I deliberately chose a gas range without self-cleaning oven.

I chose the Berta because I wanted a powerful burner but didn't need 22 BTUs, a simmer burner, and as few electronics as possible with no self-cleaning mechanism. This is a great no frills range. On the few occasions I consulted the Berta US customer service by telephone, they were very helpful.

• Ann D
    8 years ago

I want to be clear, that I am not concerned about heat in my room or if the fan is noisy. I just want to know that the temperature I mentioned on the back of the stove on the elevated stainless area and the double burner clicking like it wants to turn on when I light my stove is normal. I love the stove, just do not want my drywall catching fire at 280 degrees on the back of the range. Should the stove be flat against the wall or a little room? Thanks for your comments and time. It is a stunning looking stove. I do not have a hood above my 30 inch range, just a Bertazzoni microwave.

Ann d

• _sophiewheeler
    8 years ago

Do you not have the wall covered with a non combustible material? Drywall itself won't catch fire, but paint can. That's why everyone puts stainless or tile on the bacsplash.

Yes, it's normal for a 400° oven to exhaust close to that temperature. That's why the vent is located at the rear. You have to actively lean over a cooking surface to contact it. So don't do that. Don't touch the back trim while cooking.

• MaggiM
    8 years ago

I can offer some input on the ignition clicking. All of the burners ignitions fire when you are turning on a burner. So if I turn on the right front - all four burner ignition speaks fire. But the only one that lights is the burner that I'm feeding gas to. If you can't light a burner check that the black ceramic cap is centered. The burners will not light if that cap is off center.

Hope that helps

• Ann D
    8 years ago

Wow! Thanks so much. I will get some tile behind that oven. thanks everyone!!

• chainsawblues
    8 years ago

I am about to buy a new range/oven for our house and have been considering the Berta for 36" and possibly the 30". I was originally following Consumer Reports which recommended Samsung and GE for the 30" and then I went to a higher-end appliance store and the sales guy recommended the Berta 36" for being mid-level price ($3k-$4k) but similar to pro-ranges. I am mostly concerned about the oven. Some of the posts here complain about the heat coming out of the front when it bakes and also about it making the backsplash hot. I mostly bake cookies, cakes, desserts, etc. Not much broiling or roasting. I cook A LOT. Is this the right range for me? Should I pay more for duel-range or is a gas oven okay? Is gas the same as convection? And, most importantly, will I have to use an oven thermometer to check the temperature, both for when it is done preheating and to make sure that the temperature is okay? I am also considering the KitchenAid 30" pro range and a Kenmore Pro 30" (both recommended by Consumer reports).

• bossanova2
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi chainsawblues - I've had my Berta 30" for 3 years now - the burners are amazing and you can fine tune the flame really well, but I concur with what others have said on the oven fan issue. To clarify, I have the electric oven/gas range, and whenever the oven is on, the fan is running. I have a very quiet house with an open concept kitchen/living room, and we LOVE the moment when the oven fan turns off (which can be anywhere from immediately after turning off the oven, up to 15 minutes AFTER you've turned off the oven). Peace and QUIET. I haven't found that it's particularly hot as others have mentioned (I am, however, Canadian!), but I am rather sensitive to noise and find that feature to be unappealing. The oven also isn't as large as our last, I don't have rack gliders, and the door is "clunky" and slams shut if you don't guide it all the way. My last range was a 30" Electrolux, which had a lovely oven, easy close door, the racks were on gliders, and the light would come on like a gentle glow when you opened the door, rising to a crescendo and illuminating the brilliant blue enamel interior (can you tell I liked that oven)? However, the Berta has the stovetop beat on the Electrolux, hands down. I don't bake that much, so I chose the Berta based on the burners (and aesthetics - I think it's beautiful). I can't speak for the Berta gas oven though - I don't think it has a fan - may be an option if the fan noise issue is a sticking point.

And - I'm not sure which model others have, but mine certainly has the "clean" option on the oven - and it does an excellent job!

• zwizzle1
    8 years ago

I love my all gas Berta, but I do not do much baking. I cannot answer to advantages of dual fuel for baking or roasting - presumably it gives a more even heat. I do use an oven thermometer with the gas range since the round gauge on the front is mostly for show and doesn't give precise readout. AFAIK all Bertas have oven fans; they are necessary to keep the outer walls rom getting too hot. Perhaps the fan on the dual fuel oven is louder than mine - I don't find it to be annoying but maybe because I often have the range hood fan going and it is noisier at all but the lowest setting.

• chainsawblues
    8 years ago

Thanks, sheilajthornton for your response! We are leaning towards the Berta 36" dual-fuel. I am still a bit iffy about the oven, but I think I can get used to it by putting an oven thermometer in there and buying a timer. But the fan noise sounds worrisome. The thing is, there doesn't seem to be any other option for 36" duel-fuel ranges at this price point whereas there are many options for 30" dual-fuel ranges. I don't want to spend 5-6k and get a Viking, Wolf, Thermador, etc. Still somewhat on the fence, but the free Berta hood promotion right now may push me to do it.

• pemfan
    8 years ago

what did you decide?

• photocastle
    7 years ago

This oven is JUNK! Sounds like a lot of Berazzoni reps on here. The oven has inconsistent heat, the burners often have to be lit with a match, the door constantly goes out of alignment and the fan sounds like a jet engine! Never have I heard a fan so loud on an oven! Run away from this brand. Unless of course you would like to purchase our used model. We are moving on to a real oven and range top not just a pretty face.

6 years ago

Totally agree...the fan blasts hot air...we do not use the oven

• june o'connor
    6 years ago

My handyman just installed an inline dimmer switch on the wire leading to the oven fan. Turned down to halfway, there's now a gentle breeze, rather than a wind, coming from the oven door, and the noise is reduced as well. None of the wires are heating up at all. Seems to be a successful adaptation to an atrociously loud component of this otherwise lovely stove.

Just sayin'..

• corgibob
    6 years ago

Almost 7 years later and I STILL love my Berta (Master Series 36" Gas) and Broan hood. They continue to be a match made in heaven! I read my original post from March 2011, and update in April 2015, and all still holds true--the fan is neither loud nor blows excessive heat. I do not clean the back of the cooktop if the oven's been on awhile, bc that does get hot, but, other than that, it's still my favorite part of the kitchen.

A friend was over last night helping me cook and remarked at how spot-on the oven temp is. It always has been. Perfect! I roast turkeys (removed a rack for more height), two Peking ducks at a time, countless roasts (standing rib size not a problem), and bake often. This oven is perfect for me.

I have a feeling this might be a quirky brand (?), but mine is a gem and, if I ever move, it's going with me. (By the way, I'm NOT a rep--for the earlier poster who remarked "Sounds like a lot of Berazzoni reps on here." I'm just an extremely pleased Berta owner! :)

• Jeannie Nicozisis Kontis
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I enjoyed reading these threads and am hoping someone can chime in to give some advice. I am considering a Berta wall oven (30" Professional). Does anyone have any feedback on this piece? My local reps don't have any on display, I just really like the look and features that it has.

• Elaine Johnson
    6 years ago

I have to admit, it was the looks of this range that got me. It took 1-1/2 years of service with almost all of the parts replaced before it worked correctly. The LP conversion was not complete, the technician did not install a fitting on the broiler and the flame was WAY too big. This could have set the wall on fire and may have been the cause of some of the service problems...hard to say. Yes, a lot of heat blows at you from the oven, will try putting the vent fan on prior to cooking! I have a 400cfm Maytag microwave over the range that come on automatically when it senses too much heat. It’s only been about a year since installed. It does take about 20-25 minutes for this little oven to preheat. I would highly recommend the pro series just for the built in thermometer, even for $500! The 30” oven is small for entertaining or for a family. I can’t seem to fit anything but a cookie sheet on the second rack. Love the infrared broiler, although electric is always preferable for baking. The 30” is fine for two people, and since the conversion was corrected everything works great.

elaine

• Aunt Arctica
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Anyone following this thread still? Anyone tried the new versions with larger ovens, temp gauge, new burners? I am really close to doing this stove. Really love it. Did try it at an appliance store. The rep just went on and on raving about all of its unique aspects - the European ones that are often misunderstood. But can anyone chime in. (please no 'I hate Berta' folks who had their service people ruin their stoves), read enough of that...

• maggiemm
    5 years ago

Since this popped up andI happen to be procrastinating.

I've had my Bert for 8 years. I do not know if a repair person will ruin it since it has never needed repair. I have a dual fuel. The oven holds the heat even. It does a better job than any of my family's or friends. The gas burners are superior. I can turn them down to the lowest setting and know that they will not flame out. We had a rather major power failure and my burners let you manually light. I don't know if that is still true but it's a real plus if you are in an area where that happens frequently.

It looks very nice. It functions beautifully. So I would buy it again. I won the 30", dual fuel in white. I was looking for a white range that had a high end look. It was Viking or Bertazonni at the time.

• Aunt Arctica
    5 years ago

Thanks bunches maggiemm!!! Just what I wanted to hear...ha ha...

• maggiemm
    5 years ago

AA- Originally I was horrified at the fan. It seemed so loud compared to my 1982 Kenmore, lol. Then I heard my sisters huge Wolfe fan and it didn't seem so bad. The last oh and ah that came out was a prime rib with the whole temp change and long slow cook. It was glorious and at least two guests noted that their oven couldn't do the high heat start and low slow heat after.

• scottie mom
    5 years ago

Love my 36” all-gas still after 3.5 years! Easy to use and great to look at. And I believe all contemporary ovens have fans that run to dissipate heat. Mostly, I love that it doesn’t beep or have any complicated panels. I have two analog thermometers inside. I hadn’t heard about new features. If I baked a lot, I might prefer the dual fuel.

I have the SS backsplash with the utensil Rail, and the matching hood. I probably wouldn’t have considered those exact pieces, but they sort of came as a package and I’m delighted with both! Hope that helps! I think you’ll enjoy it.

• Aunt Arctica
    5 years ago

Can anyone tell me how their ss cooktop has kept up? Are you able to keep the burner bases from getting dark and stained? Any other cleaning tips or suggestions?

• Tom Rand
    last year

We recently bought an induction oven. The cooling fan (it's apparently for the electronics) is super loud. I can hear it way out in the garden, or at the other end of the house. Clearly a design flaw, but not one they appear ready/willing to fix. Bad design.

• aviskanna
    7 days ago

Bertazonni has a sound reduction kit for the cooling fan- took me a while to figure it out with the warranty company, but it is on it's way to me now. Hope it works. Anyone tried it?