Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frederjj_gw

Bluestar Pre-V1 or V1

frederjj
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am in quite a conundrum... in the middle of planning the kitchen remodel and have decided we want a bluestar range. Budget is a big issue, so working with what i can find. Right now the choice is between two ranges. The first is a 48" double griddle blue star non-V1. The second is a 36" 6 burner V1 range.

The 48" ends up being about $1000 more than the 36" not including the increased price for the larger hood.

Obviously, both will fit in the space and have major selling points to me or we wouldn't be having this discussion. How big of a concern is the non-V1?

So, what would you do?

THANKS!!

Comments (7)

• gtadross_gw
    10 years ago

My parents have the non V-1 and I have the V-1.

I'd say that the most major difference is that their non V1 range has a single-point ignition system so that when they turn one burner on, all of them click. They also all click when one of the other burners is also clicking if it's on a super low simmer.

That issue does not happen on my V1. When I turn one burner on, only that one burner clicks and none of the others do. Same when one burner is on simmer (if it clicks to relight a burner on super low).

Another difference is that my range has one rollout oven rack (where the rack is on a glider system) and theirs does not. Last difference is that their drip tray is one big tray and mine has three individual 12" trays underneath for easier cleaning.

Other than that they're pretty much the same. Both their oven door and mine get warm, but not hot to the point of burning.

• barryv_gw
    10 years ago

My prior oven ( not a BS) had the click on all burners while trying to light one, never bothered me. I have the new version of the BS roll out rack, and while it is not worth $1,000 - it is pretty sweet, and I would check and see if you can get one to fit the non V1 - and if so how much it costs. The drip tray would be a non issue for me - I rarely take them out for cleaning .

This post was edited by Barryv on Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 7:34

• frederjj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input.

I am really leaning towards the non-v1 48" at $1000 more. One of the main draws is the smaller double oven. I believe the burner configuration on either would be fine as I can RARELY see needing more than 4 burners. If I needed more with the 48, I believe I can use the griddle as a warming plate or a medium/low burner... Right? My big concern is about spending the extra money for a product that has reported issues and warranted an update (the V1). Thus the idea of just going with a 36"....

• barryv_gw
    10 years ago

If it were me, I would buy the newer version, and if you want a smaller oven, find a small wall oven - which would probably be electric, and that would give you both an electric and a gas oven, with the gas oven having the nice pullout rack.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

I wish I had the room for a 48" with a double griddle! I have a 36"RNB with griddle and love it. In all my years of cooking, I've never needed more than 4 burners, and can't remember the last time I even used four at once. Yes, you can put a pan (or two) on the griddle and get a pretty decent extra burner if you need...

• tyguy
    10 years ago

I have a 48" 4 burner 1 grill 1 griddle non v1 which will be 6 yrs old in the summer. I would choose the 48 onch over 36 in a heartbeat. Small oven is amazing and 48" look cooler too :)

My only concern would be how long this non v1 has been floating around, potentially being mistreated.

• gtadross_gw
    10 years ago

If I was in your boat, I'd get the 48". It really is a showpiece and a workhorse. The differences between the two are negligible.

The biggest difference, to me anyway, is the clicking. But from looking at the replacement parts on bluestar's website, perhaps you can upgrade to the better module clicking system. Not sure about that at all, but it's definitely worth asking about. The range is very straightforward and replacing things on it is a breeze.