Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmack410

Range or microwave/oven combo unit?

dmack410
10 years ago

Hello.

My situation is a bit complicated so please bear with me as I try to explain.

My family is moving to a new(ish) home in a few months so I'm beginning to think about what we want to do with the kitchen. Currently, the kitchen has a 36" gas cooktop, a 30" wall oven and a small microwave/oven combo unit above the wall oven (I think it's a GE Advantium).

I really want to have 2 ovens so I'm trying to decide what to do with the help of everyone out there.

The cheapest and easiest option is to keep the wall oven and the microwave/oven combo unit. Does anyone have any experience with these? I do a lot of roasting and broiling while my wife does a lot of baking. Can anyone speak to whether the microwave/oven combo unit can do these things as well as a conventional oven? Also, is the GE Advantium the best one of these or are there other ones out there that are better and worth considering?

If the microwave/oven combo unit doesn't suffice, then the next option is to put another wall oven under the 36" gas cooktop (which I'm hoping to switch out to a Bluestar unit). Is this even possible (putting a wall oven under a cooktop)?

Finally, if that doesn't work, it would seem like my only other option is to replace the cooktop with a range. This is obviously the most expensive option so it will only be a last resort (if we're not able to get 2 ovens any other way).

The range will probably be a Bluestar as well although some of the reviews here about the oven door, bad customer service, etc. give me pause.

Thanks for reading!