Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alternety

Bluestar altrnate replacement parts

alternety
9 years ago

I have a Bluestar range. My wife loves it. I think it is very poorly built. Sub-par components and just plain stupid things (e.g., screws that weld themselves to other components because of a stupid choice of materials).

I currently need to replace some of the igniters that mount on the burners, one of the spark generating modules, and two glow igniters. The knobs are OK and so far the door has not been a problem. The oven takes a very long time to get to temperature, and is not very good about accurate temperatures, the broiler is silly small for the oven. Other than that!

I have spent many hours searching for solutions for alternate parts. The only easily identifiable crossover parts seem to be from Viking. I suspect if I try looking up the Bluestar parts on some parts vendor sites they will display some sort of equivalent. Particularly for the hot surface igniter. I would rather use what is known and has a track record of being better than the originals.

Here is what I have found as replacements from various posts.

BS spark elements on burner Viking PA020028
BS hot surface igniter Viking PB040001
BS spark generator Viking Pa020041 (4 burner)

Can anyone confirm those?

I have one problem with those parts; the hot surface igniter. When I see the Viking part for sale, the pictures associated with it are not the same as the BS part. BS uses a flat M shaped element and the Viking part is a circular spiral. My gut feeling is that this should work fine, but some actual user feedback would be appreciated. If the power drawn is the same.

I would love to replace all of the BS HSI with Silicon Nitride (much better than the BS Silicon Carbide) but they take so much less power to operate that they will not operate the gas valve in the rear of the range. That valve depends on a fairly narrow range of current being used by the igniter.

My original igniter on the grill failed the second time we used it. And I am on the second oven igniter.

Comments (3)