Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greg_likes_to_cook

Cleaning the top of Wolf range?

greg_likes_to_cook
14 years ago

For those who own a Wolf range - I was at the appliance shop looking at a Wolf 30" All Gas Range and couldn't figure out why the burner drip pan isn't all one piece. Instead, they have three separate pieces (one for the left front/back burners, one for the right front/back burners, and a middle piece). Where the front and back of each of these meet the stainless steel frame, there is another seam. So, when grease, water, or salt is spilled and finds it's way into these seams, it will be a pain to clean or worse, a potential hazard. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Comments (7)

• teachmkt
    14 years ago

We have a 36" Wolf AG (circa '04), so I'm not sure if the 30" has the same basic design or not. The burner drip pans on ours can be removed and washed in the sink. Some prefer this to sealed burners, others prefer sealed burners. Makes it very easy to clean the "seams."

• friedajune
    14 years ago

I agree with Teachmkt. I don't have a Wolf range, but I have read here several times on this forum that people like the drip pan that has several pieces. It makes them very easy to take to the sink to clean, or put in the dishwasher. You could also put a layer of foil on there, and discard it when it gets soiled, so you won't have to worry about cleaning the drip pan at all. The open burner won't have the burn-on stains that a sealed burner cooktop has. I myself have a sealed burner range, and it works fine, but there are some permanent rings and marks from burn-on, which are impossible to avoid in a sealed burner arrangement.

• greg_likes_to_cook
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I wasn't concerned about keeping the drip pans clean - it was where the drip pans meet the sides of the stove along the front, back, and sides as well as where they overlap in the middle. If something should spill and go down into any of those cracks (especially in any quantity) it would make a mess. If it was grease, there's the potential for it to collect on something below that's hot enough to create a fire.

• friedajune
    14 years ago

Sorry I misunderstood your question. Your subject line and your first description led me to think you were asking about the top of the range and the drip pans. So, in answer to your question, I can say that I've been on this forum for years, and this is the first time your question has come up that I know of, if that's any help to you. I've just never read anyone complaining about the Wolf ranges having a cleaning issue where the drip pans meet the inner sides of the stoves, and certainly never read anything about a fire hazard. Even the biggest critics of Wolf agree that Wolf's fit and finish is about the best there is. I think you are over-worrying and over-thinking on this issue. Just my $.02.

• teachmkt
    14 years ago

Not sure if I misunderstood also, but here's another try: The sides of the drip pans and the opposing stove sides can be easily cleaned when the drip pans are removed. While Wolf may have changed the configuration, as with most pro style ranges with open burners there is a large drip tray beneath the entire range top that catches spillovers. In 6 years of daily cooking we've only had a couple of spills ever reach the tray, and it's on rollers and slides out for easy cleaning and removal. The area below the drip trays is pretty sparse: burners, gas lines and some supports that we clean out every year if we think of it, but nothing accumulates that remotely could catch on fire. Since you seem to have some major safety concerns, then perhaps a sealed top would be more appealing. However if you have a major grease/oil spill on a sealed top, and the oil is pretty hot and an on burner is able to flash the oil, you've a real kitchen fire on your hands. An unlikely scenario in my estimation, but still possible.

• g_whiteside_sbcglobal_net
    13 years ago

I've had a Wolf 30" for 15 years and do have problems with cleaning the "porcelain" (it's more of a coating) on the drip pans. Food seems to burn on and I've tried everything from Easy Off to 409....never any scouring powders for fear of scratching the surface. Nothing seems to work particularly well to get a gleaming surface. What works for you?

• badger4me
    7 years ago

I can tell you that blue wolf is good to spray on overnight and the next morning just wipe clean! This cleaner is the best for lots of things.