Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
srkbrc

Appliances please suggest!!!!

srkbrc
10 years ago

We are building a new home looking for the complete dream kitchen. After doing some research and visiting all the showrooms here is what I was thinking.

Refrigerator Sub Zero 48" SIDExSIDE REFRIGERATOR
RangeTop Sub Zero 36" 6 BURNERS RANGE TOP
WALL OVEN GE 30" WALL OVEN
Microwave GE ADVANTIUM WALL OVEN 120v
Dishwasher Bosch or Miele or GE DISHWASHER New 2014 model

I have been going thru the forum and thank you for all the suggestions, but still at the end of the day you still have a thought in the back of the mind and are unable to decide. What would the suggestion be?

Lastly, when is the best time to buy? We have several months before we need to commit to purchase?is it better to buy during sales like Memorial Day weekend or July 4th or any other sales events? Any other advice? Thanks

Comments (13)

• scole250
    10 years ago

If I had to do it all over again, I'd get a Blue Star or Thermador 36" or 48" rangetop, because of the star burner patterns.
    Wolf 30" double ovens or other well rated double 30" ovens.
    I'd be happy with a 48" Subzero, but for a dream kitchen I do built in 36" fridge and 36" freezer (again, dream kitchen)
    I've always been happy with GE microwaves.

Don't forget the range hood, sink and faucet. Also, a new fixture I never thought about before it was too late was a pot filler faucet by the cooktop.

http://www.bluestarcooking.com/products/rangetops/rangetop-series
    http://www.thermador.com/cooking/rangetops
    http://www.subzero-wolf.com/oven/convection-oven/30-inch-double-built-in-oven-l
    http://www.subzero-wolf.com/builtin-refrigerators

This post was edited by scole250 on Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 20:48

• okpokesfan
    10 years ago

I love my Bosch dishwasher with the exception of its size. It's smaller than my old Kinmore. The other features do make up for it but if I were chosing again, I would definitely consider that.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I have a new Bosch and it holds a ton - what model do you have?

• toddrhodes
    10 years ago

I have open, star burners on my AR Performer and they are all they are cracked up to be. Very even heating, excellent control, and lots of heat... or I can turn them down to a simmer and hold something at 130* for as long as I want (just tested that out tonight, actually). Just my $.02.

• okpokesfan
    10 years ago

sj, I will have to look. My friend says hers is bigger as well. It's not been as big of an issue as I thought it would be but I would probably go with a different model if I had it to do over again. I definitely wouldn't go back to the Kenmore though!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

A suggestion about the dishwasher - if you have the chance, take a selection of your dishes (big plate, cereal bowl, cups, glasses, soup bowl and silverware) to the appliance store with you. If your particular dishes don't fit between the tines of the dishwasher, nothing will fit, no matter how big it is! It so happens my current dishes fit perfectly in both the Bosch and the Miele (we went with the Bosch), but if they didn't, I would have been back to square one.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

After my last house I wouldn't do a GE wall oven. 3 replacement thermostats and one fire in span of 4 years. There was something faulty in the insulation and wiring at teh back of the oven, and If I hadn't been standing right in front of it and seen the flames coming out of the convection fan area it could have been a disaster. And every time they needed to service it the whole double oven unit needed to be pulled from the wall. The temp was never right either.
    Nor would I do another GE dishwasher.
    This time around I'm buying a Bosch rebranded as Thermador dw. Hope I like it better. It's the promo dishwasher that comes with the purchase of the range.

• Ed-C
    10 years ago

srkbrc:

Based on my recent experience I'd suggest Miele instead of Bosch for d/w. Direct comparison is cleans better. Wife likes top rack for cutlery. 2 prior Bosch d/ws had problems. 1st was recalled for fire hazard, 2nd broke several times in span of 6 years, finally flooding kitchen. Everything breaks eventually, but that one didn't last very long.

If I had my dream kitchen I might have 1-2 gas burners with the rest induction. Might save you $s on venting and MUA requirements.

Refrigerators can be noisy so check models for ambient noise during operation. It's difficult to tell in showroom. No matter how beautiful/functional it is, if it's loud it will drive you crazy.

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

I would suggest that you look into a Bosch wall oven, very pleased after 2.5 years with mine although I choose not to tempt the appliance gods by using self-clean. Please consider placing the microwave on a shelf, perhaps with a trim kit. Their lifespan seems quite short these days. I would never build one into the wall even though I could afford to do so. Good luck with your decisions.

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

I would suggest that you look into a Bosch wall oven, very pleased after 2.5 years with mine although I choose not to tempt the appliance gods by using self-clean. Please consider placing the microwave on a shelf, perhaps with a trim kit. Their lifespan seems quite short these days. I would never build one into the wall even though I could afford to do so. Good luck with your decisions.

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

• laundryvet
    10 years ago

"GE DISHWASHER New 2014 model"

New model can be a roll of the dice. Sometimes vastly improved and more reliable than the predecessor, but on occasional great features but some initial reliability issues.

Same story on cars, had experiences both ways:
    -great car: brand new design 2010 Outback
    -great car 7 year old design 2004 Odyssey
    -train wreck car 6th week of production Ford Windstar.

Yeah - a few very expensive bugs with that Windstar and of course no user experience (or internet for that matter) to understand the experience of others to avoid said lemon.

As an appliance engineer by trade I would like to say every appliance should be perfect when launched to the public, but there are always a few quirks you can't find until its been in the field for some time. Most company test labs can't duplicate all the oddities faced in the field, Lets be honest and say space and testing personnel are not infinite and pressures to launch products in a time-sensitive world are higher than ever. Best unit is a 2nd or 3rd year unit IMHO, not out-dated appearance or features, and where any initial bugs have been worked out.

Can't go wrong with Miele in my opinion for the dishwasher, very classy company with good products. You just need to decide what features are important to you.

Laundryvet

• Gooster
    10 years ago

I have had three Bosch dishwashers and one Miele over the years in various kitchens. None have broken and they were equal in cleaning performance. Both offer cutlery racks now.

I can't comment on the ovens other than to say that people tend to cite Gaggenau, Miele, Bosch, and Electrolux when talking about ovens here. I used to have a Dacor that had the prior (old) reliability issues with the touchpad controls.