Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saftgeek_gw

Convection Oven Takes Forever to Warm Up

saftgeek
15 years ago

Hello all,

We have a new (2 years old) Kenmore convection, warm and ready, smooth top, stove that takes forever for the oven to heat up. If we want to bake and pre-heat to 400 it will take 20 minutes.

This is really annoying... Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks

Saftgeek

Comments (32)

• Joe Blowe
    15 years ago

Are you saying that your oven only takes 20 minutes to heat up to 400F? And you consider that to be 'forever'?

Don't complain, you have it good...

• shannonplus2
    15 years ago

Yes, I would say that 20 minutes is about the time it takes for my Dacor oven to heat to 400F.

• chipshot
    15 years ago

I have the same issue. I'm impatient. I just started one of my Wolf ovens in preparation for "dinner in" at 6:00PM. Thinking ahead sometimes hurts my head.

• saftgeek
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow... I am shocked. I truly thought I had some type of problem. I guess I have to learn to be a little more patient. Now if I could just get the rest of the world to follow along.

Thanks for all your input. I really appreciate your time.

Saftgeek

• sassync
    15 years ago

I have a 36 wolf AG range and it takes forever to preheat the oven. So, in building a new house, we are looking at a 48 dual fuel range. Please tell me these don't take as long to preheat....

Anyone with dual fuel ranges, how long does it take for your oven to preheat?

Thanks

• lucypwd
    15 years ago

I think 20 minutes is quick.

• Fori
    15 years ago

Smaller ovens are faster of course, so if the 48" range has two ovens, they'll each warm up much faster, gas or electric. Save time and energy!

• guadalupe
    15 years ago

If you have a smooth floor meaning the element is not on the floor but below the pre-heat time is a minimum of 20 minutes and the larger the oven the longer the pre-heat

• lightlystarched
    15 years ago

Okay, my cheapie GE profile oven can preheat to 400 in 10 minutes, tops. Most of the time I don't bother to preheat, and just stick the food in and turn it on. It gives me a series of beeps when its reached temperature and it is always pretty quick.

• weissman
    15 years ago

lightlystarched - most likely you're oven isn't really at 400 degrees when it beeps after 10 minutes - try using an oven thermometer to see what it's really at. There have been threads about this before and it does take a while for ovens to stabilize at a particular temperature.

• PRO
    Joe Henderson
    15 years ago

weissman is on the money. Chances are good your thermostat thinks its at 400.

It's confused

The best preheat times on the market are around 12-15 minutes and thermador for a time even had a special user selected option that sped preheat times up to 10-15 minutes.

Pre-heat times are also highly dependant. We never learned where anyone lives, reliative humidity, whether your a/c was running at the time, whether you live at a high or low altitude etc.

20 minutes is pretty quick

• chipshot
    15 years ago

And if you think it takes a long time for your oven to heat up, don't ever be in a hurry for it to cool down.

• chefnewbie
    15 years ago

How about setting it to broil for 10 minutes and then changing the setting? Broil heats up a lot faster ... just a thought.
    Now if someone could tell me how to get my Monogram to boil water faster, I'd be happy ...

• chipshot
    15 years ago

Have you tried broiling your water?

• dadoes
    15 years ago

My GE Profile just now took 14 mins 5 secs to heat to the "ready beep" for 425°F in multi-rack convection mode (that's the fan and 3rd element). I've misplaced my oven thermometer, so I don't know what temp was actually in there on the rack.

• freedee
    15 years ago

Are we supposed to run the convection while preheating? Does that affect preheat time?

My Bluestar takes 30min to warm up, according to the manufacturer. The supposed up side to this is that when the door is opened, it doesn't cool down so fast. In other words, all that metal retains the heat so that you don't have fluctuations in temperature.

• guadalupe
    15 years ago

How about relaxing and let the oven properly heat so that you get good results

• weissman
    15 years ago

freedee - I believe that running covection will help the oven heat up a little faster and more evenly - I usually do it.

• chefnewbie
    15 years ago

LOL Chipshot ... are you sure your username isn't misspelled :)?

• chipshot
    15 years ago

Are you suggesting the 'i' should instead be 'ea'?

• john_com
    15 years ago

:-)

If I can say this without offending you there some other combinations also.

• chipshot
    15 years ago

Say away, John! I'll even get you started: How about replacing the 'i' with 'ea' and the 'o' with an 'i'?

• chefnewbie
    15 years ago

Just joking, you know. I could not let the "broiling water" comment go. It was just too clever and witty!

• chipshot
    15 years ago

Thanks. I just happened upon your post at the right time and had one of those little *sparks*.

• john_com
    15 years ago

>> 'o' with an 'i'?

Now, I didn't say THAT

• richpoor
    15 years ago

OK, back to preheating -- when I was researching ovens last year, I learned that a new Thermador oven had a "fast preheat" feature, that took only 8 minutes. WHAT? I thought? My ancient GE oven takes less time than that to beep!

That's when reality came crashing down. Not only was my GE oven not heating to temp for much longer, according to two oven thermometers, it never really did.

Since then, I've learned how to preheat. I've learned when to start the oven depending on what I'm making, and if something really is sensitive to temperature, then I wait past the beep. Many things don't care if the oven is at temperature -- for instance, there's no reason not to put a covered lasagnas into the oven as the oven's heating. Cookies are more sensitive. I hate that most recipes call for preheating first -- I have one recipe that says to preheat, then chill a dough for an hour!

Thermador's "fast preheat" meant it turned on all the heating elements at the same time. I figured I could do that manually on an oven that costs a whole lot less, especially since I've learned a little more about cooking and baking and what really needs a hot oven. So I looked elsewhere and got hooked on GE monogram double ovens --before realizing they cost almost as much! :-( And without the cute analog clock or fast-preheat feature, but the glide racks sold me.

• richpoor
    15 years ago

OK, back to preheating -- when I was researching ovens last year, I learned that a new Thermador oven had a "fast preheat" feature, that took only 8 minutes. WHAT? I thought? My ancient GE oven takes less time than that to beep!

That's when reality came crashing down. Not only was my GE oven not heating to temp for much longer, according to two oven thermometers, it never really did.

Since then, I've learned how to preheat. I've learned when to start the oven depending on what I'm making, and if something really is sensitive to temperature, then I wait past the beep. Many things don't care if the oven is at temperature -- for instance, there's no reason not to put a covered lasagnas into the oven as the oven's heating. Cookies are more sensitive. I hate that most recipes call for preheating first -- I have one recipe that says to preheat, then chill a dough for an hour!

Thermador's "fast preheat" meant it turned on all the heating elements at the same time. I figured I could do that manually on an oven that costs a whole lot less, especially since I've learned a little more about cooking and baking and what really needs a hot oven. So I looked elsewhere and got hooked on GE monogram double ovens --before realizing they cost almost as much! :-( And without the cute analog clock or fast-preheat feature, but the glide racks sold me.

• C Fin
    2 years ago

Ours takes forever too, compared to our regular oven. 450 takes about 30 minutes to heat up to with the Kenmore convection oven on regular bake, our old oven took about 10 minutes. I think the design of covering the element makes a big difference. I think the venting doesn't work well either, in comparison. Baking the same food, convection oven on regular bake makes things soggy. Overall it's a very inefficient way to cook food. Indirect heat on the cooktop is also bonkers. Our electric bill has actually gone up since we got the new convection oven. Looks nice, but our old stove was way better.

• Lisa Yrigollen
    2 years ago

I just bought a used Kenmore double oven from a reputable used appliance shop. But this oven is taking forever to preheat. Like 40 minutes to get to 350. Top is worse than the bottom oven. I’m just trying to figure out if I should call the store or to complain. I know I’ve never had one take so long.

• Ronald Carstens
    2 years ago

The good deal I got on my Kenmore gas convection oven when store was closing for good was not worth it. Worse range I ever owned,I always thought Sears put their Kenmore name on sub level appliances,therefore I never purchased any til this time, my regrets!

• dadoes
    2 years ago

Kenmore appliances are sourced and rebadged from various manufacturers. The first three digits of the full model number, syntax of xxx.xxxxxxxx, is a code for the manufacturer. Code translations can be searched online via "kenmore manufacturer codes" or similar terms.