Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnzack_gw

Does the kitchen hood have to be ducted?

johnzack
13 years ago

Is it really necessary for my range hood to be ducted to the outside? If the hood comes with a ductless mode option, it shouldn�t make a difference, right? What I heard from my appliance guy is that the biggest factor is the power of the motor. Would like to get a second opinion, thanks.

Comments (11)

• weissman
    13 years ago

Ductless hoods are mostly worthless - they're better than nothing but not by much - only useful if you have absolutely no option for venting outside. A ductless hood will trap some of the grease, smoke and odors but will recirculate all the heat and some of the other stuff back into the kitchen. The size of the motor is irrelevant.

• advisor
    13 years ago

Yes, I second the above opinion. The kitchen hood has to be ducted, otherwise it's just an expensive lamp.

Here is a link that might be useful: ApplianceAdvisor.com

• dan1888
    13 years ago

Here's a video by vent a hood on their new duct free offering. Ducting is the best if available.

Here is a link that might be useful: Duct-free hood

• colin3
    13 years ago

Ditto the above.

You might want to re-evaluate everything else this appliance guy has told you.

• asolo
    13 years ago

Agree with all above. Ductless is a very poor substitute for ducted-to-outside. Should be considered only if absolutely no alternative, IMHO.

• advisor
    13 years ago

If I could add one more small point to the above.
    Vent a Hood claimed in a video advertisement on our site that they solved many of the problems of ductless hoods with a technology they called ARS.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1aMpTLdZd8

We have not tested this product, but even if we had it would not change our recommendation to duct if you can duct....particularly if cooking with gas. If you can't duct, then this might be worth looking in to.

Here is a link that might be useful: ApplianceAdvisor.com

• dadoes
    13 years ago

My OTR microwave is not vented, and is absolutely useless as an exhaust hood.

• robert_sett
    13 years ago

johnzack,

As a professional who's seen plenty of good - and bad - range hood installations, I can tell you that ducting is absolutely essential. A ductless hood is almost worthless compared to a ducted one. Ductless hoods can't get rid of smoke, moisture, carbon monoxide, and excess heat. In addition, you have to keep buying replacement charcoal filters (even for the new Ventahood systems), and of course, remember to change them on a regular basis (just like cleaning the grease filters, which most people also forget to do). Last but not least, the charcoal filter will reduce airflow and make the hood more noisy.

Whenever possible, you should install a duct.

The cost of adding ductwork is insignificant compared to the benefits you'll get from a properly ducted range hood. In a private house, there's almost always a way to run a duct from the kitchen hood. Even in condominiums and co-ops, where ductless is usually "the only option", people have figured out ways of ducting the kitchen ventilation to the outside without piercing the walls.

Also, be sure to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for duct size and installation height above the range, which will also have an impact on performance.

• emily_mb
    13 years ago

DUCT YES! NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER.

• johnzack
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone, I spoke with people from Futuro Futuro today, that's where I got my hood, and they did confirm that regardless of brand, power, model, etc. - a ductless hood is "an expensive light fixture", and just like all of you, strongly recommended using a duct. I guess I have to break the walls now - but now I'm finally sure it's worth the headache.

• asolo
    13 years ago

Good on ya. Right decision.