Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marthavila_gw

What is an Aga? ( Very Long! and Xposted)

marthavila
14 years ago

(Pardon me, AF folks, but the following post took too long to get together for me not to share it both here and in the KF! If you beg to differ, illuminate, etc., please have at it as you will):

Lately, there's been a small rise in posts by members who are seeking information on Aga ranges. Unfortunately, though, the advice that is given is often spotty and confusing. Sometimes it's just plain out wrong. Moreover, many of these threads tend to end with repeated suggestions to the OP that they buy another cooking machine (usually one that the responding poster owns). The latter response, btw, is fair enough. And it makes sense. After all, we tend to share about what we know. On top of that, Aga is a relatively expensive niche product and far from being a cooking necessity. As such, I don't expect there ever to be a large number of consumers who will choose to install an Aga instead of a GE, Kenmore, Samsung, LG, etc. in their home.

But we Aga owners are few and far between on these pages. Even amongst ourselves, when we are all talking Aga, we are also frequently discussing different machines of the brand. Sometimes the differences are slight. But sometimes they are significant. I personally find the mixing up of facts and claims about different machines with the same name to be frustrating. I also know that, when I was in the market for my own Aga, I found it incredibly difficult to find clear, accurate information about the specific machine I was considering -- the Aga 6-4. (Most responders thought I was talking about the traditional Cooker). So, at the risk of jumping out into the public square here with some very basic personal research (which may very well contain a few errors of its own), I'm submitting this thread in an attempt to better answer the question of "what is an Aga?" Please understand that my purpose in doing so is not to try and sell you an Aga! Or even to say my Aga is better than your cooking machine. (Of course, I love it, I enjoy sharing with you why I love it and I invite you to check it out for yourself.) For me, though, it's just enough already with much of the Aga confusion that abounds. Towards that end, I'm also hoping that real and experienced Aga vendors and/or other Aga owners and enthusiasts will chime in correct, clarify and/or amend what I've tried to get started here:

Aga 4-Oven Cooker: This is the traditional Aga range. (It can also be had in 2 and 3 oven models and in natural gas, LP and all electric models). In fact, as the standard bearer for the well-known British appliance manufacturer, most people are thinking of this range when they speak of Aga. For the past 80 years, the Aga Cooker has enjoyed the reputation of being the range of choice for many serious cooks (particularly in Great Britain). However, in these more energy-conscious times, the Aga cooker has become a much more controversial kitchen appliance. This is so for two basic reasons. First, its thermostatically-controlled/radiant heating system involves a cooking method of rotating the foods between the Cooker's various ovens. Most Cooker fans will admit that the learning curve for first-time owners of this unit can be steep. Further, at a time when the demands of our modern lives can be so swift-moving, the need to stop and steward a meal through various oven zones can be perceived as quite time-challenging. The bigger complaint, however, is that the Aga Cooker's technology requires the unit to stay "always on" -- day and night, winter through summer. As such, it is often trashed as a fuel-hogging, energy-waster that has not kept pace with the modern cooking technologies and environmental concerns. OTOH, fans of the Aga Cooker (which can be as "fanatical" about their cooking machine as those of Bluestar and LaCanche, for example) :-), swear by the results. They say that the Aga Cooker inspires expert "intuitive" cooking on the part of the chef and the results are well-done, evenly cooked, incredibly moist, incomparably crisp and remarkably delicious meals. Further, and particularly in colder climates, the "always on" feature of the Aga Cooker permits it to serve as a supplemental heating source in the house. Lastly, claimed life expectancy of this rather uncomplicated and extremely sturdily constructed cooking behemoth is 100+ years -- not including burners and thermocouples.

Basic Specs: Cast Iron construction; color-coated in vitreous enamel. This unit has 4 ovens which can roast, bake, simmer and warm. The cooktop has hobs, i.e., a boiling plate and a simmering plate -- both of which can accommodate up to 3 average size pots/pans each and which can range in temperature from 350 - 700 degrees Fahrenheit (15K btu max output). The cooktop also has a warming plate (140 degrees Fahrenheit) which is great for melting chocolate and butter, as well as warming liquids and foods. However you may opt to configure it with a gas burner instead.

Pricing: Approximately 18.5K.

Aga Companion: This is a 24" wide unit with 2 electric ovens and a cooktop that may be either gas or electric. It is a more "modern" stand-alone unit that is often used where a high quality cooking machine is desired but space is at a premium. Most frequent use of this unit, however, is as a "companion" to the traditional Aga Cooker. Capable of being installed alongside the Aga Cooker, with the same look and color, an installed Aga Companion can expand the width of the cooking zone to 84", increase oven offerings by 2, and provide standard cooktop burners. Many Aga Cooker/Companion owners (especially those who live in warm climates) will turn the Cooker completely off and rely solely on the Companion for their cooking needs during the summer months.

Basic Specs: Cast Iron Construction, coated in vitreous, colored enamel. One convection oven; one conventional electric oven with broil/grill capacity. Cooktop BTUs range from 6k-12K.

Pricing: Approximately $5.5K

Aga 6-4: This model is Aga's answer to that sector of the consumer market which is seeking a modern, high-end, pro-style range. The 6-4 looks very much like a traditional Aga Cooker, but performs to contemporary standards. Typical Aga Cooker purists consider this unit to be an Aga "mutant" and an insulting departure from the integrity of classic Agas. Frequent US consumer critique: Euro-size ovens are way too small. My disclaimer: This is the Aga unit that I own and I love it! I find it to be a very versatile, high-performing, good-looking machine that can serve one as easily as crowd of 20 or more. Yes, ovens are small, but with 4 of them that can run simultaneously, the job gets done. It fits in beautifully with my overall kitchen design scheme. And, besides, it's roughly half the cost of an Aga Cooker and does not stay always on!

Basic Specs: Cast Iron Construction; Color-coated in vitreous enamel. 39" in width. 4 continuous, self-cleaning ovens: roasting, convection, grill and simmering/warming; The cooktop has two ultra-rapid burners (17K and 20.5k Wok burner), 2 semi-rapid (11k) and 2 rapid (6.5K). Both ultra rapid burners have double rings which provide for high variability in flame control, including simmering function.

Pricing: Approximately 9.5K-10.5K, depending on choice of custom or standard colors.

Aga Legacy: My guess is that this Aga model is the one that is fastest growing in popularity in the United States today. A stand-alone model in terms of looks, it bears no resemblance to its cousins in the Cooker, Companion and 6-4 lines. Again, those in the traditional Aga Cooker camp will having nothing to do with a Legacy. However, this unit seems to be winning friends and a tad of influence in the North American market. Overall, it's a contemporary Aga product that is quite versatile, has classic good-looks, is much larger than a Companion (and somewhat comparable in price) is less expensive than a 6-4 and considerably lower in price than a Cooker. There are several different Legacy configurations available which can vary between dual fuel and all electric units and from 36" to 44" in width. With the Legacy, there is the option of solid doors, or cathedral glass doors. And unlike all other Aga machines at this time, the Legacy can even be had in stainless steel! For sake of brevity, the specs and pricing below is for the solid door, Aga Legacy 36" (electric) and the Glass door Aga Legacy 44" (DF)

Basic Specs (All-Electric Legacy 36"): Solid steel chassis not cast iron) construction. Ceramic cooktop with surface outputs of 1200-2200 watts; Three ovens including programmable convection bake, dedicated broiler and a 7 mode multi-function programmable oven (including defrost,fan-assisted broil, browning and bake).

Pricing: Roughly 5.5K

Basic Specs: (DF- Legacy 44"): Chassis of solid steel construction (not cast iron). 6 sealed gas burners, ranging from 850K to 15K BTU. 3 ovens, convection, broiler, 7 multi-function programmable (see Legacy 36: above). Available in 6 standard Aga colors and stainless steel. Glass cathedral doors.

Pricing: approximately 7K

Whew. HTH!

Comments (101)

• tutti1969
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I too own a 44 legacy with cathedral doors (no problems with the doors). I love the look of the range as it is very unique looking. The broiler and the ceramic cooktop work fine (although hard to clean) and the storage drawer is great. My ISSUE with this range are the two ovens (convection and multi function) they cook VERY UNEVEN. There is a temperature difference of 50 degrees from top to bottom of the convection oven (hotter at the top and the back, lower at the bottom), and a temperature difference of 25 degrees (hotter at the top) in the multifunction oven. The whole point of a convection oven is that you have uniform heat throughout the oven for uniform cooking. My cookies and breads on the top cookie sheet are burnt and on the bottom sheet unbaked.
    I have to constantly rotate and switch position. The AGA manufacturer will not own up to this and says that it is about right to have a temp. diff. of 50 degrees in a convection oven. However in their manual they clearly state and I quote: "The temperature in the convection oven is the same throughout ensuring uniform results."
    We are also very disappointed with the AGA refrigerator which is a $1500 Amana with a $2500 AGA door. The door is VERY CROOKED (came crooked from the manufacturer) and the fridge makes so much NOISE you can not be in the kitchen. Yet again AGA will not own up to this and keep telling us that that is how the door is and that our space for the fridge must be crooked.
    We bought these appliances through an authorized dealer and are working with them to get this resolved, it has been going on for 6 months.
    I would not recommend these products due to all the problems we have had with them and the AGA people ( they are made in Canada by Heartland Appliances). It is such a pity because the range and the fridge are really unique looking.
    Good luck to you all in choosing your next appliance :)

• marthavila
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tutti, I am sorry to hear about these problems with your Legacy! Again, as I suggested to Quiltgirl, are you dealing with a technician in the Aga technical services department in Canada or have you gone further up the chain to deal with someone at a more senior,supervisory level? If you haven't, I definitely think you should do so. If you've done the latter already and are still not getting good results, I've got no other suggestions to offer. Sorry!

Not all Aga products are made by Aga Heartland in Canada, btw. The traditional Aga Cookers, Companion and Six Four units are made in England. Still, when it comes to getting help with technical issues on all Aga products in the United States, the closest regional service center is located at Aga Heartand.

• tutti1969
    14 years ago

Dear marthavila, thank you for your reply. As far as I know the dealer has dealt with a technician at AGA in Canada. The problem is that AGA do not have any technicians to send out to deal with this (hence the dealer) but at the same time will not accept the dealer's and the customer's words and findings regarding this matter. Catch 22!!! They are shifting us around.
    Coming from Sweden (myself and AGA..) AGA used to stand for good quality and a reliable company but I guess in the days of outsourcing and profit only that is not the case any more.
    Still hoping for the best ;-)

• quiltgirl
    14 years ago

Marthavila, Sorry it took me awhile to post pictures. Had to figure out how to do it again. Here is a couple of pictures of the vent out the wall for the Aga. As you can see it is not very pretty. How can I disguise this? The window is a boxed out window which adds to the problem and it is about 10 feet off ground. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

{{gwi:1379141}}
    {{gwi:1379144}}

• plllog
    14 years ago

You'll have a vent pipe that's aimed down, right? A flag holder? A posy? A mobil sculpture? Windmill? Windchines? You can disguise the outlet with all kinds of things! But I think a window box will look odd 10 feet up unless it's obviously a second story window (i.e., with other window boxes below it).

You could go modern and just put a big red (painted metal) dot on it.

• quiltgirl
    14 years ago

Here is a better picture of the window showing where the vent for the Aga will come thru the wall. Maybe it is only 8 ft off the ground. I did not measure it, but the pix gives you idea. The vent gets a metal "cage" put over it. It has about a 5" pipe in the center of it which is exposed and must be in the vertical position. I am thinking some sort of flower box attached to the lower piece of window trim would help disguise it. I just need to leave area open above and below pipe. This has been such a challenge to incorporate this stove into our plan. I hope I can come up with something to turn this into a positive rather tha an eye sore.

eIhref="http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh308/lcrullman/?action=view&current=IMG_2331.jpg"; target="_blank">

• bdpeck-charlotte
    14 years ago

Natural Gas.
    New House, so I can't say an increase. Our bills are higher than my estimates, but the winter here was about 10 times colder than last year and we've been partly under construction (finished the basement after the initial house permit was complete).

We've made brownies and cookies without rotating between ovens, but front to back rotation is needed or you'll get some over and some under done cookies. My mother (who's taken French cooking classes in her retirement) managed to make breads and some other types of pastries without issue.

Quiltgirl, call me crazy, but I didn't think you could have a gas vent under an operable window? I would strategically plant some shrubs to cover it up.

• quiltgirl
    14 years ago

You may be right. That pipe should not be under open window, not that I will ever be opening it. ( I don't normally open them since we have air conditioning.) This whole thing is a problem and I don't know what to do about it. The installer shoud know code and whether it can be here or not. I wanted it on another wall, but he told me it could not go there because the vent would be on the front entryway porch and not meet code. Why can't it be vented down and out? The stove is a direct vent, but couldn't it be adapted to vent another way?

• John Liu
    14 years ago

I looked at the AGA install manual. Apparently the end of the vent pipe for your direct vent model is to be covered by a ''terminal guard'' which looks sort of like a conical wire guard, and that may be further covered by a ''terminal guard protector'' which looks sort of like a sheet metal box. Link below - you have probably already looked through this material.

Anyway, the guard and protector shown in the materials are large and protrude enough that I don't think you could easily disguise them with a window flower box. The box would have to be fairly large and stick pretty far out from the wall. Such a box could also be inconvenient to tend or water (too high to reach from the ground), and might look odd since you don't have boxes anywhere else.

I think - just paint the terminal protection guard white to blend in with the white siding and trim. You won't notice it after awhile, at least I wouldn't.

If you really have to cover the terminal, maybe a lattice with climbing plants/vines. But in the winter, it'll be bare.

Alternatively, can you turn the vent pipe 90 deg to the left, run it under the boxed-out window, then have the terminal to the side of the window? I don't see this described in the install document but you could check with AGA.

Another thing - do the windows open? Per the install document, the terminal is not supposed to be less than 300mm (12 inches) under an openable window.

• quiltgirl
    14 years ago

I may be able to turn the vent to the left, I don't know, but the height of the vent is fixed, so it still would have to come out of the trim at the level it is at now. I do like the lattice idea. That might be a solution. However, it is not 12 inches below the window. I don't normally open that window, so I think I can live with that. It is just the appearance of the vent coming out in that area which is offensive. I will go to the site you sent. Thanks!

• John Liu
    14 years ago

I was thinking, if the vent pipe turned 90 deg and ran horizontal, it could potentially be nestled under/inside the boxed-out window trim. Then it could emerge from the box and terminate to the left of the lower-left corner of the window. Or, it could turn 90 deg up, run along the box (if painted white, shouldn't be any more obtrusive than the raingutter drain), and terminate up higher.

You'd need to check w/ AGA and the installer - how hot does that vent pipe get, can it run horizontal or does it need to slope up, etc. But worth checking into.

I know you've had difficulties with the AGA install, but look on the bright side. You got a good price on the AGA range, a standard flue model might have been an easier install but also might have been unaffordable. From earlier in this thread it sounds like the ''AGA way'' will be right for you. And they are unique, gorgeous ranges. I bet it all works out well in the end.

• marthavila
    Original Author
    14 years ago

John, I like your suggestion of running the ductwork on the horizontal and out to the side. If you are able to do that, QG, and still have effective venting, then you might want to supplement that remedy with the planting of a small specimen tree for cover. The window box might work as the cheaper, faster approach to this problem in the interim. I just wonder what the effect of blowing all those smoky, greasy cooking fumes onto your flowers would be? :-) Love your house, btw!

• quiltgirl
    14 years ago

Below is picture of exterior vent. The pipe in the center is 1 inch in diameter and 2 3/4 inches long. The cage around it projects out 4 1/4 inches and is 6 3/4 inches across on its widest end. It is 3 1/4 inches across at the smallest end. The pipe in the center has to stay vertical. The whole thing fits flush against the side of the house. There is no ductwork other than what runs thru the thickness of the wall. I don't know what you mean by running it horizontal. If you added more ductwork to run horizontal, it would all show on the outside of the house. The metal ductwork from the stove thru the wall is a five inch diameter metal cylinder. I am wondering if it needs to be a straight shot out for the stove to function optimally and pull the right amount of draft. I am wondering what those fumes are going to do to my window on the outside. I can imagine it being constantly dirty and greasy. If there is anyway to vent it out on the left side of the window box, that would work. The problem is that the ductwork comes out partly within the frame of the window box and partly below it. How do you make the pictures smaller then what mine are showing? I am using photobucket.

{{gwi:1379148}}

• John Liu
    14 years ago

It's hard to say what can be done, without knowing how the window is boxed in and other info.

Imagine if the vent pipe connects to a 90 deg elbow and turns left as soon as it exits the wall. Looks like the pipe, after the elbow, would be half inside the boxed-in window (the upper half) and half outside (the lower half). So, maybe the ''box'' could be extended down a few inches to fully cover the pipe.

Or, imagine if the vent pipe connect to a 90 deg elbow and turns left as soon as it exits the box. Then the pipe, after the elbow, would be running in front of the lower edge of the box. But maybe that portion of the box could be extended forward, kind of like a big windowsill, to cover the pipe.

It depends on how the window was boxed, whether AGA says the pipe may be enclosed (after all, its already running through the wall, but you'd have to ask them), if it may run horizontal or is supposed to slope up (I see the installer cut the hole for a slope), if you have a carpenter (the AGA installer isn't going to modify your window box), etc.

• bdpeck-charlotte
    14 years ago

I don't think you should've been sold a direct vent model. I think you should've gotten a powered vent that would've let you pull the gasses down, into your basement and move them to a more convenient place to vent.

Direct vent are not meant to have any extra bends in the pipe. Straight out through an exterior wall and terminated. Standard vent goes up (with the pipe most people hate, but we like) and can bend to move around obstacles and out through the roof.

• quiltgirl
    14 years ago

bdpeck-charlotte, The model I bought was a store display that was going out of business. The price was so reasonable I could not pass it up. The whole Aga thing was a spur of the moment buy because of that. Although I have long admired the Aga, I never thought I would have one due to cost. I lucked into this one, and the venting option that came with it, which is a direct vent. The stove has been a challenge to work into the room and the cabinet layout. I really think a flower box with a false area within in it to house the vent will work. The plan was to have a flower box under this window sometime in the future anyway. Will just have to be a little creative on how to make it work with the vent. This whole project has been one big "creative" event, sometimes overwhelming.

Thank you Marthavila for the compliment on my house. It is an old house built in 1860 that we have been rehabing for years and years now. I call it "The Money Pit".

• bobk_2009
    14 years ago

If you can't hide it, you might try to accentuate it with some copper sheathing. Mine has the painted exterior framing boxed out as a background for the metal basket.It may not be pretty but it's neat. It looks no stranger than toilet vents sticking up through the roof.

• chesters_house_gw
    14 years ago

The new model is out -- and it's not as expensive as I would have thought. Here's a newspaper story about the Pro+, discussed about halfway down.

• marthavila
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, Chesters, that's an amazing story! Looks like Aga is pulling out all the stops in its effort to break free from its ultra-niche slot in the world of cooking appliances. In my view, the 6-4, was Aga's first serious attempt to do that. However, it also seems pretty clear that only a small fraction of consumers, like me (i.e., wed to the looks of the traditional Aga Cooker but not to its engineering), have been willing to take the leap with Aga over to the "pro-style" aisle (and a bigger niche) with the Aga 6-4. Then, it looked like they were gaining ground with the Legacy -- still a great, vintage-looking Aga machine but with a less heavy price tag. But maybe not enough? So now, this Aga Pro+ is clearly a sign that Aga is going for a whole new ball game -- with a totally different new look (not so much vintage but more like the Bstar, Fratelli, Ilve, etc), directly inserting "Pro" into the name and slapping on an even more accessible price tag. They also seem to be trying to address the popular consumer complaints with respect to both small oven size as well as energy consumption with this new design.
    Hmmm! Very interesting!

I'm not so sure how it makes me feel to see the appliance company I've invested in (by way of a major retail purchase) now appearing to be engaged in such a furious struggle to grab a bigger share of the market. OTOH, I suppose all serious companies with capitalist dreams of market dominance do this! LOL! For example, how many did what Aga did with the traditional Cooker when it came up with a basic design and then left it unchanged for close to a century? Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, this move is also probably just another sign of the times. The era of high-end appliance products flooding the mass consumer market may not be over, but I'm sure the share for all such manufacturers is certainly decreasing significantly in this period of global recession. It will be interesting to see if and how Aga emerges from it's closet position among the Euro elites and whether it can claim a bigger piece of the North American appliance sales pie chart in the process.

• chesters_house_gw
    14 years ago

When I googled the Pro+ I also came across a financial statement from Aga/Marvel. Apart from sales down but cash on hand strong, I learned that they're making fridges in Michigan, and that they're expecting the Pro+ to do well in Canada and the US. Energy consumption is a big issue, apparently especially in the UK.
    I've been shopping for the 36 inch stove, so the listed price got my attention. I'm hoping to see one. It's joined the contenders -- Imperial, BlueStar, and Viking (the last on a price deal) -- unless I just go ahead and get a vintage stove.

• marthavila
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You know, I had to chuckle after I reread my last post. Early on in this thread, I talked about how owners of the traditional Aga Cooker did not consider the 6-4 and Legacy machines to be true Agas and deemed those units to be some kind of "mutants" within the Aga family. Now, I've noticed that I'm raising my eyebrows in much the same way over this Pro+ and thinking: "That's an Aga??? What's going on here?" :-) Well, I guess time marches on and, apparently,so does Aga. Still, I can't help but find it a bit ironic, that only a couple of weeks before Aga's launch of a new breed/new look cooking machine, I submitted this thread with the hopes of clearing any confusion as to"What is an Aga?" LOL!

If you get to check it out in a showroom, Chesters, please do let us know what you think! Meanwhile, for those who may be as curious as we are, here's a bit more information on the new Aga Pro+.

• quiltgirl
    14 years ago

Marthavila, you are right about the company's need to compete in the marketplace. However, call me a snob because I still like the traditional looking Aga better than the Aga Pro. The new Aga Pro is looking too much like the main stream commercial type range that is in every manufacturer's line. (Wolf, Viking, Thermador etc.) The beauty of the traditonal Aga sets it apart from all others. I realize cooking on the Aga Pro is probably more main stream, but I cannot help but be biased toward my Aga Cooker. By the way, parts needed just came in so maybe by this time next week I will finally be able to cook on it! Still have not resolved the "how to disguise the ugly looking vent" problem. Working on that.

• chesters_house_gw
    14 years ago

Rococogurl actually saw one at a show and will get to see one cooking this week. It's on a Wolf vs. Bluestar thread.
    The nearest dealer to me won't have one until sometime next month, he thinks. He says they've been selling as fast as Aga has been able to ship.
    Agreed it looks mainstream, or at least Euro mainstream. The oven is really interesting. So is the price.
    What concerns me are the electronics, although I haven't seen complaints about boards going out and such on the 6-4 and Legacy models. Anyone else seen any reports of trouble?
    Otherwise, I have a Chambers, O'Keefe and Merritt, Bluestar, and Capital among the possibles right now.

• allison0704
    14 years ago

I was looking for this thread in Kitchens. I can't believe it's rolled off already. RG posted about the new range. Linked below. DH would love an AGA, but our space is 48". Not sure I'm willing to make a mess for something we don't really need.

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

chesters, I saw it used yesterday. Didn't use it myself, however, which as we all know is another level. I'd definitely take a close look -- especially if you're thinking vintage as an alternative. This has vintage solidity with beaucoup features. They have been making stoves for 180 years and I think it shows.

• chesters_house_gw
    14 years ago

Thanks, Rococogurl. I also read your longer post linked on kitchens. Definitely interesting, although I probably won't be able to see one cold, much less live, for a few weeks, the nearest dealer says.

And the clock is ticking. I need to replace a stove in a house we use in the summer/December/holidays. We planned to do it, but a mouse sealed it. I have a good deal, I think, on an O+M, which probably won't be there long.

There's also a nice deal on a Capital, which probably won't disappear. I think I've moved the Bluestar out of consideration because I'm not willing to roll the dice on reliability and I'm not interested in learning range repair. Home repair with two old houses is enough. There are repair people happy to work with me on the O+M if need be.

Oh -- and I don't and can't have a hood until a kitchen reno happens, but that won't be for a couple of years. I don't stir fry much, and if I'm cooking steaks or browning meat, I use medium or medium high heat, then turned down. I like caramelized surfaces, but not charred. The ventilation in a kitchen with a big window and a door has been a huge problem -- not enough to start a kitchen reno because of a mouse!

Tough choice! There are only two of us, but we entertain/have houseguests pretty frequently. The flexibility and look of the Pro+ sounds perfect for our needs and for an old house.

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

Only thing with a vintage range is energy use.

I have some additional photos and color swatches (which I'll throw out as I'm through with them) I'm happy to share with you if that's helpful. Weight is nearly 400#. I think it's part steel, part cast iron but definitely that heavy--duty Aga quality and a real cook's stove. My thoughts exactly on the versatility and on the repairs. Just went through too many new appliance repairs/replacements over the last 5 years. Some think it's fine but I think it's ridiculous.

• chesters_house_gw
    14 years ago

I'd love to see more pictures.

I've checked both US and UK sites for complaints about electronics in Aga/Rangemaster ranges, but haven't found anything. I'm taking that as a positive.

I meant to say that the ventilation hasn't been an issue. I'm not sure pilots would be either. The house is in upstate NY, and in the winter, a little more heat in the kitchen would a bonus. In the summer, I'd probably cut the pilots to the stove top and light with a match.

We plan to retire to retire there, so it would be great to have one thing right in the kitchen before we take on renovation.

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

Where badge is on bottom is the drawer. Color on front. Top and sides are black.

Slider rack on top. There are clips that release it so it can be moved to any runner.

Glass door inside (they say triple-sealed, won't get hot.) When partition slides in it hits a switch at the back that activates the right side. Residual heat for the left. But they give 2 broiler trays as the broiler evidently works on both sides.

Inside the 15K burner, which I disassembled so it's easy to see how the jets will spread

• chesters_house_gw
    14 years ago

Very nice, thanks!
    Jeez, it's tempting to wait on this. Ira Woods has the Pro+ up on their website (under Marvel). Sifting through the UK sites on what appear to be Legacy types still hasn't turned up many complaints other than a defective fan installation here and uneven ovens there. Sifting through the British English was a head scratcher. Having Corgi in to check the hook up really didn't mean that small herding dogs deal with gas lines.
    Brits, too, complain about the smallish Legacy-type ovens. The Pro+ may not be just a response to US market and our big turkeys.

• farmgirlinky
    14 years ago

Just a few things about our experience for those who have the conventional 4-oven Aga cooker: we've had ours for 13 years, moved once during that time and brought the Aga to our new house because we enjoy it so much. We live in Connecticut, and for most of the year are happy to have some radiant warmth in the kitchen when the rest of our 100-year-old house is quite cold -- the kitchen is where we "hunker down." That said, in July or August the kitchen is not uncomfortable, and if you are using an Aga properly, you don't spend a lot of time hanging over it.

The point of the Aga range, for those who are willing to consider that there might be some point to it besides their beauty, is to use it as a heat storage device, analagous to those soapstone ovens that Tulikivi and others make. The mass of cast iron stores heat, and radiant energy is transferred/released to the food. So the cooktops are used primarily to cook some things quickly, or to sear, or to saute -- but then food is transferred to the appropriate oven (hot, medium, or slow is the way to think about it) and you go off and do something else. Or sit in your chair need the Aga and read a good book. It is not an Iron Chef type of experience, and people who want that won't like the Aga. The Aga is quiet, and because bacon and the like are cooked in the hot oven, there are fewer cooking smells (sometimes a problem if you forget to set a timer!). It is a wonderful device for "slow food" fans. But you can forget that you left a pot of beans in the simmering oven the night before -- I put a post-it on the rail to remind myself, or just set the timer. An extra hour here or there with things like beans or steel-cut oats or brisket in the simmering oven makes no difference. The simmering oven is great for barbecue -- melting collagen -- close to that pit barbecue texture and taste, although nothing is comparable to the Moonlite Inn in Owensboro Kentucky....
    I like to cook buttermilk corncakes directly on the simmering plate while bacon fries in the roasting oven. I sometimes like to make bagels just for the heck of it (when you want a traditional, high-gluten, malty, chewy bagel and Bruegger's just won't do, and you can't get to Brooklyn -- Saveur magazine published a great recipe years ago), and you can store the pot of water for boiling in the simmering oven -- it gradually comes up to temperature overnight, and in the morning, when your handrolled bagels have proofed overnight, you just get up and start the coffee, pull the pot of water out of the simmering oven and set it on the boiling plate, drop in the bagels to boil them, then finish them in the oven: takes about 15 minutes. Everyone is happy.

In re: boiling water for pasta -- I never have had a problem with this, it seems to me that water boils at least as quickly on the boiling plate as it does on an open flame burner, since a lot of the energy of the open flame is lost, and the iron plates of the Aga transfer heat very well to a flat-ground pot, and the boiling plate is hot as blazes. But often I put a big pot of cold water into the simmering oven in the morning before I go to work, and when I return that evening to make dinner the water is quickly brought to a boil just by transferring it from the simmering oven to the boiling plate: heat transferred from the cast iron mass of the Aga to the water in the pot, and stored there. A large Dutch oven is better for stir-fry than is a wok on the Aga, and if I did a lot of Asian cooking I would buy an induction wok ring and set it on top of the counter.

A large turkey is not a problem, because it doesn't matter that the meat is close to the (radiant) walls of the oven. With some planning the Aga makes it easier to put together a Thanksgiving dinner. I've never cooked anything larger than 22 pounds in the roasting oven. I'm not a professional cook, so the sheets that come with the Aga and hang on the runners of the ovens are more than large enough for my purposes.

So one cooks differently on the Aga. It is intuitive, and not at all difficult to master. Puts you in touch with your grandmother! except her range was't heavily insulated and radiated far more heat than the Aga does, being a heat storage device, and she had to shovel coal into it.

Our gas bill is high compared to those of our friends with conventional gas ranges, but our heating oil costs are lower. We live in town, walk or shuttle to work often, and have driven less than 120K miles in 16 years -- I offer that information up in hopes of avoiding being flamed by Aga vigilantes that prowl this site. But if you feel better getting out the flame thrower (or the Wolf), then go right ahead, I'm a big girl and won't cry. I just offered some of this up because there seem to be some misconceptions/misinformation floating around.

Lynn

• marthavila
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Farmgirlinky, this is an excellent post! Just the kind of in depth information about the traditional Aga 4-oven that many of us have been hoping to see. Welcome! Hope to hear more from you in the days ahead and as we (hopefully) grow a more visible/vocal Aga community on the GW.

• alice462
    14 years ago

It was fun to come across this thread as we just returned from a trip to the UK. We stayed w/some friends who have a 4 oven cooker and I came home with AGA ENVY! If I had had that expereince before we did our renovation a couple of years ago, I would have worked very hard to find a way to fit this into our kitchen.

It was definitely a different way of cooking, but they live on a farm in the English countryside and this Aga was part of the rhythm of their life. I was intrigued by how central it was to the overall daily living -- not only cooking our food, but it also served as our clothes dryer when we did laundry. Just put the clothes on a rack in front of it at night and in the morning we were good to go. The chilly English mornings were made quite delightful as I sipped my tea and warmed myself by the Aga.

I do know of someone in our area who has one (central Virginia) and she had to "upgrade" the a/c in her kitchen area b/c the radiant heat from her Aga was too much in the summer months here. This was an install in a 100 yr. old home so don't know if that same concern would occur if it was part of a new build.

Anyway, if I am ever lucky enough to do another kitchen I will be looking very hard at how I could have an Aga in my life -- it was wonderful.

• vanisleevt
    13 years ago

Our new AGA four oven cooker!!!

We had it installed two weeks ago and we absolutely LOVE it. I'll post some pics once the kitchen is completed. I really don't understand how anyone can dislike these cookers. It is the ultimate cooking machine, especially for a family with two boys. I think our oldest likes it as much as we do.

quiltgirl,

What was the outcome of your venting?. I showed my installer the pictures you posted and he said you cannot modify the vent pipe, except for shortening it. He's installed about 250 AGAs so he's very knowledgeable.

• quiltgirl
    13 years ago

Vanisleevt I am anxious to see pictures of your new Aga! What area are you in. Maybe I can get your installer! I am STILL waiting for the installation of mine. We have made the decision to move the stove to the porch wall and take our chances with the venting there. As much as the stove looks balanced under the window, I just do not like it there. I liked having my counter there for baking, mixing etc. so I can enjoy the view You don't stand all that much in front of the Aga and it takes up a lot of my window space. The shell of the Aga is sitting there and it is not fully assembled. Parts needed to be ordered. My installer has never returned. Supposedly he ordered parts and they were shipped. That was over three weeks ago and still no response. I am so disgusted. I emailed him about moving it and finishing the install, but have yet to hear from him. My husband already paid him a big hunk of the installation fee and perhaps that was a mistake. Went to an Estate sale near my home and there is an Aga legacy there in Red which is being sold for $3200 just in case someone is interested. It looks brand new.

• vanisleevt
    13 years ago

quiltgirl,

I'm sorry to hear about your install.

I'm about as far west as you can go on the southern tip of Vancouver Island, British Columbia. My installer has travelled to California before for an install so you never know.

• vanisleevt
    13 years ago

Okay, maybe just a peak.

I hope this pic works.

• marthavila
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OMG, Vanisleevt! Your 4-O looks hot, hot, hot! Or should I say, it's cooler than cool? Either way, I agree with you: what's not to love about that Aga? Congratulations! (When you get the chance, please tell us all about the cooking experience as well. )

And, Quiltgirl, I'm sooo sorry to hear about your install dilemma. As for crucial parts that are needed, I'm afraid there might be nothing you can do but wait an agonizingly long time for an overseas shipment. (Have you tried calling Aga-Heartland to make sure the order was even placed? And, if so, what's the estimated delivery time?) But as to the installer, I'm thinking you really might want to bite the bullet on get someone else to finish the job. Even if you have to "import" someone by paying their air fare and overnight lodging for and even though you've already paid a pretty penny to the current installer. From everything you've said about the guy you have, it's really sounding to me like it's time to get rid of him and move on.

• quiltgirl
    13 years ago

The Aga is beautiful vanisleevt!!!! I love the cream color! I love your cabinets too! It all goes very well together. How much countertop do you have on either side of the Aga? it looks like a large space.

marthavila, my installer told me the parts were already shipped. That was three weeks ago and they came out of Canada. Aga needs to appoint another installer for the Chicagoland area.

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

Now vanisleevt's got what I call a major range. Just fabulous.

• vanisleevt
    13 years ago

Your comments are easing the pain of this long drawn out reno we've been living in. I started the demo in Jan and have been working every day, night and weekend as I've done all the work myself. I've already used up all my vacation time for the year.
    I can't comment to much on the "actual" cooking experience as DW is the only cook in our house, I just reap the benefits. This kitchen is for her for because she deserves it and has always wanted an AGA and a beautiful kitchen.
    Our first meal was pancakes of course! The kids love pancakes.

quiltgirl
    Regarding our counters, we have about 36" to the right and about 60" to the left. There is a large island directly across from the AGA. The granite was templated a week ago and should be ready for install in a week or so.

• snoozingpug
    13 years ago

Hi all,

I had started a thread asking if anyone had a user review for the new AGA Pro+. Not your traditional Aga, but my husband and I loved the functionality of the interior divided oven and were sold on the Aga reputation as a great cooking machine, so we decided to just go for it.

Well, our 36" range was set in place over the weekend and though it will be another week until it is installed and ready for use, we LOVE how it looks. Countertops are being templated tomorrow (soapstone) and the matching cream Aga hood is still on order. Hopefully it will arrive soon!

Anyway, just thought I'd share a picture with the Aga crowd here. I can't edit to cook on it - what to make for our first meal?!?

• welcome
    13 years ago

Can men have their own LV? Of course. LV is not only designed for women, but also for men and kids. In our online store, you will find all kinds of cheap louis vuitton bag on sale and cheap louis vuitton bag from china. We have a series of cheap louis vuitton bag cheap which include cheap louis vuitton bag for sale, cheap louis vuitton bag for cheap, cheap louis vuitton bag for men and cheap louis vuitton bag for kids.
    To be the good cheap louis vuitton bag exporters or the cheap louis vuitton bag distributors. You should be find the best cheap louis vuitton bag supplier and cheap louis vuitton bag manufacturers. In short, we are your best choice to have cheap louis vuitton bag sale. Let¡¯s grow up together.

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

Woo Hoo snoozing. Congrats! Your white AGA is gorgeoso and I can't wait to hear how you like it. I was so impressed by this range -- to me it's modern and elegant, built like a tank, dual fuel, the largest oven of all plus the flexible divider with the warming oven just offers so much.

Please give us a full report on how it goes when you get it fired up and working. The simmer burner is really impressive btw. I saw a cooking demo on this range and the control was terrific too.

I really share your excitement.

• cookie08
    13 years ago

snoozingpug: your AGA range is to die for!

• farmgirlinky
    13 years ago

Our long-awaited kitchen renovation is underway. Although we turned the Aga down so the kitchen would be comfortable for the builders, we still are using it in the gutted kitchen. I'll try to post Kitchen Before and During pictures -- the Before pictures are truly horrible, because we just moved our Aga in from our older house in town, then waited for nine years before renovating! We had gotten to the point that we hardly noticed beige Formica cabinets and naked lightbulbs strung from the ceiling, I think because the Aga still made it pleasant to cook in here.

Lynn

• farmgirlinky
    13 years ago

Sorry, I cannot figure out how to upload photographs here!
    Does anyone know where I can find step-by-step instructions?
    Lynn

• farmgirlinky
    13 years ago

Still trying to load Kitchen During Renovation images...

• 4mamma
    11 years ago

There's an Aga cooking demonstration tomorrow (Wednesday) June 13th at the Grange, 150 King St. E. in Toronto ON M5A 1J3 from 5-6 pm. Anyone interested in going?

Please RSVP directly with Daniel at (416) 943-4726.

• Brent Bonfiglio
    7 years ago

I bought a fully re-conditioned white 2 oven gas AGA cooker from AGA Studio, out of Michigan ( Shameless Plug). We live in western MA and we had our Cooker installed about 2 weeks after we bought it. The tech, Rob, was super professional and VERY knowledgable about the whole AGA brand. He has been installing AGA since the early 90's. I would highly recommend AGA cookers......we love ours.... sorry to read about the poor install that people have had....