Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christymck

Wine Cooler / Fridge Suggestions? Replacing Unwelcome Vinotemp

ChristyMcK
9 years ago

We have had two 54-60 bottle Vinotemp units. The first we bought and had just three years before the compressor died. The second we inherited with our house and it's compressor just died. IMHO, these are poorly made products that aren't worth the money they are asking, even if they are among the cheaper options. I would not recommend them.

So, we are in the market for a new wine fridge and looking for recommendations. We actually store most of our wine in our basement. Our primary uses for the fridge include (1) storing decanted wine for several hours keeping it at the right temp and (2) for bulk fermentation of bread. It's the perfect temp (mid 50s) in between the refrigerator (upper 30s) and house (~70) when I want to extend fermentation a bit.

So, we would prefer shelving that is not angled. Other than that, a quality unit that will last is our priority. We do not need duel temp, humidity control, etc. We would like to avoid cheaply made brands/units but don't feel like we need the top of the line. Just something that will do it's job (stable mid-50s temp) would be nice. Size ~54 bottles to fit into the same space (~24" wide I believe). Thanks.

Comments (9)

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

I've got the stacked Marvel wine storage/beverage refrigerator. It was expensive. It cost around 4K when I bought it five years ago.

They are separate units with some kind of joining mechanism that allows them to be stacked on top of one another.

The wine storage unit is fine. I have no complaints. The racks are not tilted, they are flat shelves with indentations for bottles. The beverage storage has drawers that are not adjustable. Everything has to be stored on the side. Nothing can go upright because the racks are too close together.

I purchased it from AJ Madison. I never saw the product in person, only on the web. I learned a valuable lesson. Always see it in person. I wouldn't have purchased it if I had known how the beverage drawers were set up.

But, you want to know if it is dependable. Yes, both units are dependable. It's plenty sturdy, too.

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

I have a Uline 24" WC1175 that holds about 48 bottles. I have had it for two years and it is perfect. I paid about $1,200 I think.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I have a small, lower end U-Line, I forget the model number. Probably discontinued by now anyway. I know U-Line is not usually thought of in the same league as Perlick, SubZero, etc. and the one thing that I don't like is it's a bit noisy. Not a huge bother, but it's always seemed a bit ridiculous to me that my little wine fridge is louder than my 29 cubic foot french door fridge that needs to get down to a colder temperature anyway. That said, it does what I need it to do, and has done so without needing any repairs for about 12 years now.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Fri, Jan 16, 15 at 19:01

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

My Uline is quieter than my subzero fridge that sits next to it!

• ChristyMcK
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. Though we do tend to use it 4-5 days a week, it's a tough thing to spend money on. I'm surprised at the high prices, esp. when compared to regular refrigerators. The Uline brand seems like it has some less expensive options so thanks for the feedback on those.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I'm sure most U-Line's are quieter than mine, I think it was their absolute bottom of the line at the time.

• ChristyMcK
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hvtech, thanks for the info - it's good information because we'd be inclined to get the cheapest uline model just because our type of use doesn't really justify something fancier.

• huruta
    8 years ago

Just to come full circle we ended up with a Marvel wine cooler. It was a floor model on a good discount. I also second the person who said look at them in person. The construction does vary a lot and the in person view gives you a much better sense of the product you are buying. The Marvel flat slide out doors work great for our purposes of decanting and bulk fermentation of bread. The indentations are small enough that the decanter and plastic tub lay flat.