Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

Plain Jane Reliable Dishwasher

robo (z6a)
9 years ago

Our 20 year old Kenmore dishwasher is croaking, slowly croaking. Seal, soap dish mostly. We've sank a few hundred into repairs for it over the past few years but it is probably time to say goodbye.

We run exactly one cycle ever - Normal, crack the door to air dry.

I would like to find the plainest yet still reliable dishwasher available in Canada to purchase, to satisfy both my husband's cheapness and my aversion to service calls. I will override his cheapness if need be. Noise isn't really a concern since our dishwasher now operates at approximately the dB of a wood chipper. Not leaking is a much bigger concern.

Do you think the Bosch 300 would do the trick? It's about twice what my husband would like to pay up here ($1000 CAD), so if we could go cheaper (American brand) that would be nice.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Mon, Jan 19, 15 at 16:19

Comments (21)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Bosch 300 is a good unit, you could also look at Maytag (made by Whirlpool, the same folks who made your Kenmore). Maytag with the more powerful motor and the grinder blade is going to be the most similar to your Kenmore.

You aren't going to find anything today that is quick and reliable as your Kenmore or has a motor as powerful.

Miele is probably the highest quality dishwasher you can get today. I paid about $1000 for mine (bottom of the line) here in the US, but it is probably more in Canada.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your input hvtech...Miele would be my dream. I don't like fanciness so much as I like the idea of quality.

Whirlpool still makes Kenmore dw for Sears Canada. I worry about reliability of whirlpool - not sure if that is a valid concern or not. Oh, Bosch makes the Kenmore Elites, mind you. At a slightly lower price point than "brand name" Bosch.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Mon, Jan 19, 15 at 17:31

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Careful with lumping all the Whirlpool built DW's together. Maytag is a completely different design than the current Kenmores and Whirlpools and in my opinion it is better quality than them.

I know that Bosch used to make the Kenmore Elites, but all the ones I can see currently listed on their website are Whirlpool.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Thanks for your input hvtech...Miele would be my dream. I don't like fanciness so much as I like the idea of quality.

This is the control panel of my bottom of the line Miele dishwasher. It is one of the simpler ones on the market.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think this one is a Bosch based on 630 model number and location of the soap dispenser?

Still more than husband would like to pay by a factor of 2... Then again I'm the one with the sears card.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canadian kenmore elite

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ps thank you for posting your control panel! It looks great. I think I'd be looking at $1500 for a Miele around here minimum which would not go over well with the budgeter.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Mon, Jan 19, 15 at 21:12

• sherri1058
    9 years ago

Would you consider a used Miele? There was one posted on Halifax kijjiji earlier today.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got really excited about that! But husband quashed my dreams. Not into the used (out of warranty) thing.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Interesting. I was looking at the US website, I assumed the lineups were the same in both countries, but I guess not. They've completely discontinued the Bosch built ones here, but it looks like they are still selling them in Canada.

Those Boschmores could be a good choice.

• berryjam
    9 years ago

miele just had 25% off their classic (basic model) through December. I got mine for 1149. If you can wait, I'm sure there will be other sales coming. Otherwise check for the miele unboxed store. Unfortunately they've been closed since November. I'm hoping they will reopen again. I'm also in Canada.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

@Robo, I have a Bosch 500 and a 300 and they both are very good. The control panel is very simple. If the Ascentas are available in Canada, they may be a good choice. Some people don't like the hybrid plastic/stainless tub. The 300 is all stainless and just has fewer features than the 500/800 (including the extra rack). I've owned 4 Bosch DW and none of them have broken or have had a single service call.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much Gooster!

Just this week a new Kenmore Elite DW was stocked at Sears and it looks like a bosch 300 -$200. So that might be a real contender! I'm going to bring some of my fiestaware to Sears, I know some people have issues fitting the bowls in.

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Fiesta ware and Bosch don't like each other.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

yes, the fiestaware bowls are not good in the bosch in the bottom, but they are ok sideways or in the upper. The kenmore elite racks might be different, so check them out.

• User
    9 years ago

For a basic DW, it's really hard to beat a Maytag. Anything around the $400+ range will be a good value.

• lee676
    9 years ago

Note that while not an "American" brand, the Bosch 300 is built in the US in North Carolina, and with a somewhat different design than the German-built models (different racks, longer front to back for more space inside). The Ascentia models with the plastic floor still use the smaller dimensions. It the Bosch-made Kenmores have a stainless steel tub bottom they're probably US-built.

Canadian Kenmores look different than some of those I see in US stores. Not enough info on the website for me to figure out who makes them.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I took my fiesta bowls to Sears today and they seemed to stack fine in the bottom of the Bosch 300 (full stainless steel tub, 2 racks, not adjustable) and a Kenmore that looked like an Ascentia (hybrid tub). Same price on both $699. The Kenmore had adjustable top rack instead of stainless tub.

The 300 looked like a great deal (for Canada) and I am leaning toward it. Only issue is that the top rack doesn't adjust, but we don't have that feature now and haven't really missed it. I asked the guy what he would recommend most in the store in the $700-$800 range and he said the 300 because of the full stainless tub.

Thanks so much to all for your input so far! I really appreciate it! The reason I haven't shopped Maytag so much is that they don't seem to be common here (not at Sears, Best Buy, Etc).

This post was edited by robotropolis on Sat, Jan 24, 15 at 17:40

• lee676
    9 years ago

Some Bosch dishwashers have two sets of wheels on the top rack that allows it to be installed at either of two heights, not sure if the one you're looking at is like that. There are at least two Bosch DWs on the Sears Canada site for $699, one that advertises 51db noise level and the other 50db, not sure what the difference is.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Just thought I'd come back and update that we ended up going with a bosch-made kenmore, low end (probably Ascentia clone) with a hybrid tub and adjustable top rack. The main reason was price - it was on super sale down to $450 (actually the marked price was lower than the flyer) and my husband just couldn't bring himself to get a higher end DW. I'm crossing my fingers and HOPING it will be reliable! Thank you for all your input!

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Great price, and as much as I like the higher end all-stainless Bosch models, I think the Ascenta is one of the best in its price range, even without a deal like you got.

• 3ilovepie
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Robo, what model did you go with? Has it been installed? We are still on the fence about a dishwasher and range hood..... DH is back at school rather than working right now - so I would like something economical and reliable (our dw is on at least 2/daily).