Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Convection Microwave (etc)

Posted by carrieb (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 16:12

I'm in the beginning planning stages of a complete gut/kitchen remodel. I've hired a designer/architect but don't yet have any of her layout proposals. I have a small city rowhome & my kitchen is fairly small as well.

When we met, I told the designer that I don't cook much - but do use the microwave to heat up frozen meals. I heat water for tea & sometimes cook eggs on the range's gas stovetop, but rarely use the oven.

She suggested that instead of my current 30" gas range & microwave, I might want to just get a gas cooktop and a wall/over range convection microwave. I'm wondering if convection microwaves work just as well as traditional microwaves for heating frozen meals, microwave popcorn & re-heating leftovers.

For someone who is not much of a cook, does this sound like a reasonable option? I'm not planning to sell my house for many years to come, so re-sale value is not that important.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Convection Microwave (etc)

I wouldn't give up an actual oven for a convection microwave. I'd get one in addition to, but not as a replacement. Most cooktops are the same price as a full range so it isn't really saving money unless you really want the lower cabinet space.

to answer your question, yes, they should work just like traditional microwaves for reheating and such

o

Thanks, Zivman. I really rarely use my conventional oven - and since convection microwave ovens are quite a bit more expensive than a regular microwave, I would not get a convection microwave AND a regular oven - that would be too expensive, and take up too much space for me, who doesn't cook much. I could use the extra cabinet space.

o

a regular range setup is about the same money as a cooktop in my recent shopping experience, so to pay a premium for a convection microwave + a cooktop isn't really saving you money. It all depends on what specifically you are buying

o

Right, but I'd still have to buy an additional microwave - and the two together would take up more space.

o

You didn't ask, but check the cfm rating on any over-range microwave exhaust fan. Some of them have much less suction (if that's the right term) than a straight oven hood.

o

Thanks, fogbound. Remember, I don't really cook.

The truth is, I've never even had a fan or a hood of any kind - I've lived in my house for 15 years with nothing above my stove. It's never been a problem for me.

o

Think about resale in the future, if you don't put in an oven now it might make it harder to sell in the future without it.

o

Thanks, philwojo. As I state in my original post - I'm not concerned about resale. The question is about my own use - not anyone else's.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here