Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abishagenaden

Eurotech dryer brand??

abishagenaden
9 years ago

My tenant's Eurotech dryer has started snagging her clothes -- the initial culprit seems to be a worn/loose front seal (?).

I've been calling companies in the Los Angeles area to see who can service the dryer but almost none have heard of this brand, and some say they suspect original/OEM replacement parts might be necessary based on my description of the problem.

The dryer is at least 10 years old, so replacing it completely is certainly an option. But before I resort to that I'd still at least like to get a definitive opinion from someone who is familiar with the brand/model. One technician not familiar with the brand estimated the parts+service repair cost (assuming I'm able to find someone and get the part) would be at least $200+.

After some internet digging I found that Eurotech used to be under a company called "AM Appliance Group", which in turn is related to ASKO. I called ASKO, who said they no longer support Eurotech, but they gave me a number to call. I called, but of course no one picked up and I had to leave a message. The number seemed to be GORENJE's, which looks like a European appliance company with a limited US presence, but that has an office in Plano TX.

I'm waiting for them to return my call, but in the meantime, does anyone know of a technician or company who is familiar with the Eurotech brand in the Los Angeles area?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (14)

• lee676
    9 years ago

Whirlpool sold a rebranded version of this dryer at the time, and the parts almost all interchange, so they may be able to help since Whirlpool parts/service is much more readily widespread than Eurotech. I'm trying to figure out what the model number was. Does it look like this?

Eurotech EDV278EL:

{{gwi:2132724}}

Whirlpool sold a WED7500VW, which as you can see is almost identical:
    {{gwi:2132725}}

The "matching" washer that the dryer could be stacked above was LHW0050PQ4. Maybe that will help.

Asko sold the combo washer/dryer version of the Eurotech too (single machine that both washes and dries your clothes) but they never sold a version of the standard dryer under their brand.

• abishagenaden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks lee676, your feedback about Whirlpool selling rebranded Eurotechs gives me cause for optimism, but the dryer is not the one from your picture.

I've just sent a message to my tenant asking if he can let me have the model numbers for both the washer and dryer. The dryer sits on top of the washer, but I can't even remember if it's an integrated pair or if they are stackable and thus separable.

• abishagenaden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

{{gwi:2132726}}

Would the part you linked correspond to this issue? I've attached a picture my tenant shared with me, above.

I also just found a site that appears to actually sell Eurotech parts -- http://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For-Parts/a8b365/Eurotech-Dryer-Parts

• lee676
    9 years ago

I can't figure out from such a close-up view where exactly that is.

I don't think Eurotech ever sold a single-piece stacked washer and dryer, just separate stackable units.

• whirlpool_trainee
    9 years ago

Looks like it's right above the drum opening where the drum light is (our would be).

• abishagenaden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The model is EDC158. Sorry for the blurry picture, it was one of the rare ones I could find online.

{{gwi:2132727}}

• lee676
    9 years ago

It's probably the EDC158W (W for white), which looks like this:
    {{gwi:2132728}}
    Eurotech also made a EDV158 that still looks alot like the ones posted earlier and would probably still use the Whirlpool part. But the EDC158W has a solid door with no window so the gasket might be different. I assume from the model designations V=vented and C=condensation/ventless, but don't have time to investigate further now.

• abishagenaden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, lee676 -- you probably have the right picture as I remember the windowless door.

In any case I finally managed to get through to GORENJE, who gave me numbers to 2 service companies in LA that have experience with Eurotech. I just got off the phone with one of them (which has pretty good reviews on Yelp), and managed to schedule an appointment for this weekend.

Also, the lady at GORENJE whom I talked to mentioned that they are just a parts warehouse (in TX) and that if I need any parts I can call them. That's reassuring that I may not need to order the replacement part from overseas, as another service repair company had previously indicated to me.

• lee676
    9 years ago

Eurotech was made by Italian manufacturer Antonio Merloni. They for awhile owned Sweden's Asko (2000-2010) and rebranded an AM washer/dryer combo as both an Asko and a Eurotech. Eurotech sold some AM machines in the USA, and Whirlpool rebranded some of them since they didn't have a modern 24"w FL washer or dryer to sell (why they didn't use their own European designs, I don't have a clue).

Anyway, Slovenia's Gorenje bought Asko five years ago. AM changed hands a few times and is now owned by a company called Sonepar. Except that Asko and AM/Eurotech were once owned by the same company, I'm not sure why current Asko owner Gorenje would have parts or service for your Eurotech.

Gorenje is a well respected company; they made dryers for Bosch several years back, as well as the Danby 24" front load washer and dryer that Home Depot sold for many years and was/is liked on this forum.

• abishagenaden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's possible the Gorenje lady I spoke with made the parts comment in general, and not specifically in regards to Eurotech.

• abishagenaden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So the technician came and determined that the inner panel assembly needs to be replaced due to a crack. Part would take 4-5 days and estimated cost would be about $615. Based on that $ amount alone it's sounding like I should just replace the dryer completely since it's old and new ones appear to go for a little over $600....

• Joix Ful
    3 years ago

hello - this is a very old thread but i am taking a change that someone may still read this! I was wodering what dryer you ended up replacing the eurotech dryer with?

• PRO
    Claudia Bordin Design
    last year

Any leads to find the door mechanism and handle for a Eurotech EDV158 dryer (it has a glass door) ?? The part # is 651027702, but I cannot find it anywhere online. I need that plastic 'prong-shaped' piece shown below and the silver half-moon shaped handle. (Repair Clinic does not have the part anymore). Thank you in advance.