Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shattered Electrolux Icon Glass!

Posted by elamom (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 15:34

I saw a post about this happening on someone's 5 year old oven, but our new (installed in June of 2013, used probably 10 times) Electrolux Icon double oven glass just shattered in the self clean cycle! We have a service call in, but wonder if anyone else has experienced this, and why it might happen?? This is the first (and probably last) time we've used the self-clean.

I'm worried Electrolux is going to say it's not under warranty because we bought it on 12/29/12 (yeah, we're 5 days past the 12 month warranty). So frustrating.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shattered Electrolux Icon Glass!

It will be interesting to see how Electrolux handles this given the the unfortunate timing of an obvious manufacturer defect manifesting itself.

o

Wow: the same thing just happened to us! We used the self-clean feature on our Icon this weekend for the first time since it was installed in July of 2012. About a half-hour into the 3-hour cycle, we heard a loud pop and saw that the inside glass had shattered.

Our warranty had also expired. They offered us free parts but said we'd have to pay for labor. It seems like it must be a known defect since other people are reporting it, no? In the end, I asked if they would give us free labor if I bought an extended warranty (which I am now motivated to do since I worry about the whole oven). So maybe this tactic will work for others. Do folks think this is rare and just cropping up here on gardenweb? I don't see many other mentions online.

o

No, it's not really a defect. Tempered glass just sometimes spontaneously shatters. Look on the net for reports of shower enclosures and pyrex dishes shattering. Sometimes things happen and there just isn't a fault.

o

I would have to respectfully disagree with you on that. Of course things happen but if they happen consistently that is not just "an accident".

o

I found this on a search...

Exploding oven doors: Isolated incidents or greater safety concern?

From Electrolux:

"We also recommend the consumers reference their owners manual for safety tips and care instructions on the doors. They are: Special Door Care Instructions - Most oven doors contain glass that can break. Read the following recommendations: 1. Do not close the oven door until all the oven racks are fully in place. 2. Do not hit the glass with pots, pans, or any other object. 3. Scratching, hitting, jarring or stressing the glass may weaken its structure causing an increased risk of breakage at a later time. "

http://www.komonews.com/news/consumer/Exploding-oven-doors-Isolated-incident-or-greater-safety-concern-179774651.html

o

Yep - it truly can happen on any oven. If you want to reduce the chance of it happening - don't run self clean! This will also reduce the chances of pretty much every other oven problem possible.

o

I had this happen on a glass front gas grill once. Very scary!

o

So if you don't run self-clean, how do you clean the thing? The owner's manual says not to use any oven cleaners. And just warm, soapy water was not really cutting it. I'm thinking about self-cleaning during my now-extended warranty…

o

Does this door have a shield? My old GE has one internal to the door that you raise before self-cleaning.

o

Self-cleaning is not necessarily related to the shattered window, it can happen at normal baking temperatures.

Glass can be unstable.

Several years ago at my grandmother's house, I had washed a glass item ... I don't recall now if it was a small drinking glass or a bowl or a glass coffee mug ... put it in the cabinet. A couple minutes later there was a loud POP. I couldn't figure what had happened, until I looked in the cabinet and found the item of question reduced to a pile of scattered shards upon having exploded.

o

My glass shattered in my much hated KA just a month after install while we were out of town. Just came home to a shattered door in an empty house. Never did figure it out. Then the replacement came cracked. Two months later, we got it fixed and I kept my fingers crossed for the 8 years we used the hateful thing. Many issues, but the glass held, even thru self clean.

o

It _can_ happen at normal baking temperatures, but it seems more likely to happen when self cleaning. I have had this happen to me multiple times during self clean, but never during regular baking (though not saying that doesn't happen). It can be scary when it happens, (just as dead heating elements burning up) but there is no real way to prevent it.

Debrarosenberg, the manual says that not because using oven cleaner will ruin the finish, but it will render the oven unable to be self cleaned again. The residue from the oven cleaner can emit noxious fumes IF burned off by running self clean again. It will be perfectly safe to run at normal baking temperatures. But Easy Off also makes a "fume free" version that's supposed to be safe to use in self cleaning ovens.

Just to clarify: I'm not saying this was the OP's fault by running self clean. Nor am I saying self clean will always break your oven. But running it will increase the chances of your oven failing prematurely somehow. It makes sense - the oven is heated to nearly 1000 degrees for 2-4 hours! So if self clean is important to you, go ahead and run it - chances are, it will go fine. But if you're willing to put in some elbow grease and want to reduce the chances your oven will need repair, know that manual cleaning is always possible even on a self cleaning oven. The best way to make manual cleaning easier is if you spill something, give it a scrub as soon as the oven cools. It will be much easier to get off versus if you wait until a bunch of junk has accumulated.

o

Glass can shatter with no apparent cause. Glass cooktops, range tops, wall oven glass, baking dishes, vessel sinks, shower doors, auto glass....and the list can go on. The only slight correlation is that a scratch or high heat increase the chances slightly. But, there are plenty of cooktops with small scratches in them that do not explode, so there really is no predicting if yours will or won't.

o

Almost all shatter-proof glass still expands when heated. They just are made with a surface temper that helps keep it from doing so. Thus when the tinyest scratch or ding occurs, the surface looses its power to hold the glass together. Fused quartz has essentially a zero coefficient of thermal expansion and can be heated red hot and plunged into ice water without breaking. The only glass with an extremely low (not zero) coefficient of expansion was called Vycor in my laboratory days. We could buy beakers made of that but they were about 5 times as costly as Pyrex glass. I don't think anyone is using that for oven glass but some version of it may be what keeps smooth top ranges from breaking most of the time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here