Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elamom

Shattered Electrolux Icon Glass!

elamom
10 years ago

I saw a post about this happening on someone's 5 year old oven, but our new (installed in June of 2013, used probably 10 times) Electrolux Icon double oven glass just shattered in the self clean cycle! We have a service call in, but wonder if anyone else has experienced this, and why it might happen?? This is the first (and probably last) time we've used the self-clean.

I'm worried Electrolux is going to say it's not under warranty because we bought it on 12/29/12 (yeah, we're 5 days past the 12 month warranty). So frustrating.

Comments (37)

• bend_or
    10 years ago

It will be interesting to see how Electrolux handles this given the the unfortunate timing of an obvious manufacturer defect manifesting itself.

• debrarosenberg
    10 years ago

Wow: the same thing just happened to us! We used the self-clean feature on our Icon this weekend for the first time since it was installed in July of 2012. About a half-hour into the 3-hour cycle, we heard a loud pop and saw that the inside glass had shattered.

Our warranty had also expired. They offered us free parts but said we'd have to pay for labor. It seems like it must be a known defect since other people are reporting it, no? In the end, I asked if they would give us free labor if I bought an extended warranty (which I am now motivated to do since I worry about the whole oven). So maybe this tactic will work for others. Do folks think this is rare and just cropping up here on gardenweb? I don't see many other mentions online.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

No, it's not really a defect. Tempered glass just sometimes spontaneously shatters. Look on the net for reports of shower enclosures and pyrex dishes shattering. Sometimes things happen and there just isn't a fault.

• zep516
    10 years ago

I found this on a search...

Exploding oven doors: Isolated incidents or greater safety concern?

From Electrolux:

"We also recommend the consumers reference their owners manual for safety tips and care instructions on the doors. They are: Special Door Care Instructions - Most oven doors contain glass that can break. Read the following recommendations: 1. Do not close the oven door until all the oven racks are fully in place. 2. Do not hit the glass with pots, pans, or any other object. 3. Scratching, hitting, jarring or stressing the glass may weaken its structure causing an increased risk of breakage at a later time. "

http://www.komonews.com/news/consumer/Exploding-oven-doors-Isolated-incident-or-greater-safety-concern-179774651.html

• hvtech42
    10 years ago

Yep - it truly can happen on any oven. If you want to reduce the chance of it happening - don't run self clean! This will also reduce the chances of pretty much every other oven problem possible.

• Errant_gw
    10 years ago

I had this happen on a glass front gas grill once. Very scary!

• debrarosenberg
    10 years ago

So if you don't run self-clean, how do you clean the thing? The owner's manual says not to use any oven cleaners. And just warm, soapy water was not really cutting it. I'm thinking about self-cleaning during my now-extended warrantyâ¦

• weedmeister
    10 years ago

Does this door have a shield? My old GE has one internal to the door that you raise before self-cleaning.

• dadoes
    10 years ago

Self-cleaning is not necessarily related to the shattered window, it can happen at normal baking temperatures.

Glass can be unstable.

Several years ago at my grandmother's house, I had washed a glass item ... I don't recall now if it was a small drinking glass or a bowl or a glass coffee mug ... put it in the cabinet. A couple minutes later there was a loud POP. I couldn't figure what had happened, until I looked in the cabinet and found the item of question reduced to a pile of scattered shards upon having exploded.

• MizLizzie
    10 years ago

My glass shattered in my much hated KA just a month after install while we were out of town. Just came home to a shattered door in an empty house. Never did figure it out. Then the replacement came cracked. Two months later, we got it fixed and I kept my fingers crossed for the 8 years we used the hateful thing. Many issues, but the glass held, even thru self clean.

• hvtech42
    10 years ago

It _can_ happen at normal baking temperatures, but it seems more likely to happen when self cleaning. I have had this happen to me multiple times during self clean, but never during regular baking (though not saying that doesn't happen). It can be scary when it happens, (just as dead heating elements burning up) but there is no real way to prevent it.

Debrarosenberg, the manual says that not because using oven cleaner will ruin the finish, but it will render the oven unable to be self cleaned again. The residue from the oven cleaner can emit noxious fumes IF burned off by running self clean again. It will be perfectly safe to run at normal baking temperatures. But Easy Off also makes a "fume free" version that's supposed to be safe to use in self cleaning ovens.

Just to clarify: I'm not saying this was the OP's fault by running self clean. Nor am I saying self clean will always break your oven. But running it will increase the chances of your oven failing prematurely somehow. It makes sense - the oven is heated to nearly 1000 degrees for 2-4 hours! So if self clean is important to you, go ahead and run it - chances are, it will go fine. But if you're willing to put in some elbow grease and want to reduce the chances your oven will need repair, know that manual cleaning is always possible even on a self cleaning oven. The best way to make manual cleaning easier is if you spill something, give it a scrub as soon as the oven cools. It will be much easier to get off versus if you wait until a bunch of junk has accumulated.

• User
    10 years ago

Glass can shatter with no apparent cause. Glass cooktops, range tops, wall oven glass, baking dishes, vessel sinks, shower doors, auto glass....and the list can go on. The only slight correlation is that a scratch or high heat increase the chances slightly. But, there are plenty of cooktops with small scratches in them that do not explode, so there really is no predicting if yours will or won't.

• nerdyshopper
    10 years ago

Almost all shatter-proof glass still expands when heated. They just are made with a surface temper that helps keep it from doing so. Thus when the tinyest scratch or ding occurs, the surface looses its power to hold the glass together. Fused quartz has essentially a zero coefficient of thermal expansion and can be heated red hot and plunged into ice water without breaking. The only glass with an extremely low (not zero) coefficient of expansion was called Vycor in my laboratory days. We could buy beakers made of that but they were about 5 times as costly as Pyrex glass. I don't think anyone is using that for oven glass but some version of it may be what keeps smooth top ranges from breaking most of the time.

• HU-620512183
    last year

Our Electrolux Icon oven door outer glass shattered yesterday without even using it (last used was about 10 days ago). This is a double oven/upper oven door. We bought the double oven new in July 2019, so only almost 4 years old.

I called Electrolux and they do not make the part any longer. I had an Electrolux technician come out to confirm if there were any other parts needed and to help me find/order the glass (it cost me $104.99 service just to get him out here and to tell me what I already knew…although he tried to find the glass through their tech support, but unsuccessful). The oven model # is E30EW85PPSD, the glass PN 5304496651. I have not been able to find even an aftermarket part. Have you experienced the same with this same model? Do any of you know where to find the glass?

• dadoes
    last year
    last modified: last year

HU-620512183,

Per parts diagrams, P/N 5304496651 is the outer panel assembly of the lower door. Some online sources state it's NLA, others say backordered or call for availability (it's very $$$). Is there an outer glass pane that's integral to it? If so and that's what has broken, perhaps check if a glass company could cut and mount a piece to it? Or search eBay for that NLA item? Used or new-stock may appear at any time.

Diagrams show three other panes of glass on both doors ... middle (P/N 139010505) and two inner (P/N 139010504, P/N 5304505655). All of those are available.

• HU-620512183
    last year

Dadoes, thank you. You mention “the outer panel assembly of the LOWER door”. The shattered outer glass is on the UPPER oven in my house (model #E30EW85PPSD). The tecnisian gave me P/N 5304496651 for the glass…now I wonder if they initially installed the lower oven as the upper oven (the Electrolux Icon tag is on the bottom oven in my house). Do you mind providing the P/N for a )lower oven outer glass in the diagrams?.

where can I find those part numbers?

• dadoes
    last year

Your oven is constructed as two oven cavities in a single outer shell, there's no way to switch the positions of the upper and lower cavities during installation. The installers may have removed both doors during installation and put them back on in reverse position. Which is interesting if that happened because the upper and lower door panels are different P/Ns ... but perhaps the only difference is one has the branding badge and one doesn't. Are the window sizes the same on both doors?

There are many online sources for appliance parts. Some have diagrams, some don't. Try this link for one of them. I have it coded so it brings up a list of the four variations for your model (the A, B, C, D letter at the end is likely an engineering revision ... yours is the D).

Sears Parts Direct

• HU-620512183
    last year

Dadoes,

thank you for the help. You may be right, the installer may have reversed the doors. Both windows are the same size.

From the diagrams, it seems like the technisian gave me the wrong P/N, as 5304496651 is for item 13 “Wall oven lower oven door outer panel” (which is no longer available), do you know if this comes with a glass? How many glasses does each oven come with? I see item 7 is “Wall oven door middle glass” P/N 139010505 which is available.

then the diagram describes two other glasses, item 8 & 9 are in good condition.

• dadoes
    last year

I have no hands-on experience with your oven model. The parts diagrams indicate how it's constructed. I didn't find a photo of the door panel at parts sources, although I didn't spend much time searching. You can try searching further. Item 7 on the relevant diagrams is described as "middle" glass, which leads one to assume that the outer door panel(s) include an "outer" glass pane. Ovens have multiple glass panes in the door windows to insulate heat transmission through the glass.

• Friendswood Galveston
    last year

Guys same problem with me

Parts is backordered

i called Electrolux they gave me supplier name and number

i ordered three Months ago still waiting

Name of supplier : Distribution services Express ( Marcone )

price : $840

there number : 3462785688

let me know guys if one gets resolution

• dadoes
    last year

Friendswood-Galveston, several disparate hits appear on a search for the number you cited so it appears to be an internal Marcone item/SKU number, not the Electrolux part number. Have you searched the actual P/N at other sources?

• HU-620512183
    last year

Friendswood-Galveston, is it your oven outer glass? How did it shatter?

Which P/N did Electrolux give you to search for?

• HU-620512183
    last year

Is your oven model #E30EW85PPSD?

• Friendswood Galveston
    last year

The Number i provoded is there Phone Number

After i called electrolux they refered me to Marcone ; one of there supplier

Electrolux also gave me this Number WCI 5304496651 ( its a whole upper Door )

it shattered while closing

My oven serial number is E30EW85PPSB

i will update you if i receive the Door assembly

it has been Almost three Months

• dadoes
    last year

E30EW85PPSB is the oven model number, not the serial number. So, yes, it's the same model (although variation B) as HU-620512183's E30EW85PPSD (which is variation D).

5304496651 is the part number of the door panel.

It comes up at online sources variously as not available, special order, call for availability, usually available within 10 days, and other such descriptions. Some parts sources don't update the stock/availability status very often. I'd assume after three months that the not-available status is accurate. The best luck you may have is finding a servicer/parts source somewhere across the country that has one on-hand (which is unlikely for a door panel that isn't a commonly-serviced item). eBay can be helpful in such cases but one must be patient in waiting for a rare item to come up available.

• Friendswood Galveston
    last year

Thank you so much

well they told

me it takes 12-15 weeks ; as its status was Backordered

so when they placed the order they need to manufacture the part through Frigidaire

our model discontinued 2018 , that’s what i was told by elctrolux ..

i will wait one more month

then i may change the whole Oven if i ran out of option .. i called many appliance parts stores and all of the ones i called they don't have it ..

i will keep you posted

• HU-620512183
    last year

Friendswood-Galveston, I tried the phone # you provided (3462785688), a few times yesterday and today, always busy (maybe out for Easter) …can you please verify it.

Dadoes, your help has been very informative and helpful, awesome…thanks.

• dadoes
    last year

Wishing you the best of success and patience on waiting for Electrolux to produce the item on order/request. Could be the sources that tag it as NLA either don't have sufficient pull with E'lux to garner the item or they prefer not to subject customers to the waiting game with a chance of no results. I've read of servicers/customers waiting 6, 9, even 12 months for a part and eventually canceling the order.

• L. FRIESEN
    last year

we have had the exact same problem. Outer glass shattered not even with the oven on. there are NO parts. don't be fooled by thinking it's on backorder. I have tried local glassc companies to no avail. We are resorting to buy a new oven. DON'T BUY ELECTROLUX!! WARRANTY CRAP, SERVICE CRAP, PRODUCTS CRAP

• HU-620512183
    last year

Just to give you all an update. An Electrolux technician suggested I search for two P/Ns, 5304496651 (item 13) “Door assembly, outer, steel/glass, stainless/black lower oven, with trim.

He also suggested to look for item 13A, P/N 807722402 which is the door assembly for the other oven (I have dual ovens model #E30EW85PPSD), the only difference is that item 13A includes the “Electrolux Icon” badge.

I found and ordered P/N 5304496651 through Parts Warehouse ($930.32 including tax)…it’s supposed to be here in 3-10 days.

• HU-620512183
    11 months ago

I must admit, my hopes were that I would receive the Electrolux Icon oven panel with glass and have our oven fixed before Mother’s day…till Parts Warehouse called me back yesterday to let me know I had the choice to wait another month (without certainty) or get a refund…I chose the latter one, and now I will begin searching for a new oven. I feel we have been ripped-off badly…using what we thought was a top of the line oven lasted less than 4 years. My guess is that the same can happen with any electronic cookware, unless you buy additional coverage.

• HU-620512183
    11 months ago

My questions to the community is the following:

I will need to search for the right replacement single oven, or should I expect to replace both ovens since the model # is for a double oven?

Grudgingly I’m thinking to go with Electrolux Icon newer replacement model to ensure all fits like it’s supposed to…does anyone in the community have any suggestions from experience?

• dadoes
    11 months ago

A double-cavity wall oven is a unitary, one-piece appliance. It cannot be split into and operated as two separate appliance units, and thus neither of the two cavities can be directly replaced with a single-oven unit.

• HU-620512183
    11 months ago

Question to the community…finding an appliance store in the Houston area to purchase the Electrolux Icon replacement oven has proven difficult (btw, Electrolux customer support gave me model # ECWD3011AS as the replacement model for my current E30EW85PPSD). Is any of you replacing your Electrolux Icon E30EW85PPSD willing to sell me the door…I think upper or lower door will work?

Otherwise I will now move to find availability through out-of-city / out-of-state appliance suppliers.

• HU-620512183
    10 months ago

For those of you looking for parts for Electrolux Icon Double Oven model # E30EW85PPS, you can find some through eBay, such as:

(1) Oven Door, which includes P/N 5304496651 ("Door assembly, outer, steel/glass, stainless/black lower oven")...eBay item 125960341933.

(1) Panel Assembly PN 139034555...eBay Item 125961707437.

As an update, we replaced the Electrolux Icon Double Oven model E30EW85PPSD with model # ECWD3011ASA.

• HU-620512183
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

For those of you looking for the oven glass door outer panel, the door mentioned above “includes P/N 5304496651” item 13A in the diagram, which can also be used as item 13 with emblem, these two are the front glass no longer manufactured people are looking for model #E30EW85PPS.

The door in eBay also includes the other three inner and middle glasses (items 7, 8, 9).