Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarschlos_remodeler

Please Tell Me About The FiveStar 48' Range

I am looking for constructive information about the Five Star range. I love the features and choices (colors; larger electric and smaller gas ovens; griddle; 21,000 btu burners; open or sealed burner options). I can't figure out why no one raves about this range on the forum. The price is great, particularly for a DF. What am I missing?

I'm really looking for information. I've read the prior threads where someone called it a "Kia" without giving any reason for the mud slinging. If you've used this range and think it's junk, please tell me WHY. If you love this range, I'd like to hear about that, too. TIA!

Comments (7)

• dude1
    16 years ago

Okay, not apples to apples, but I'll share what I saw at a local "closeout/scratch and dent/over-run store" on a 30" range. I've no experience actually using the unit, so take what I say with the proper grain of salt.

The unit I saw was open burners@ 15,000 btu, no convection, 120v.

Remember, this is a closeout store.

Knobs were not secure, loose, plastic, ready to fall off.
    Backguard attached with sheetmetal screws, evident, 3/4 of the screw facing front. Bottom drawer a bit finicky. Have to pull up just right to close easily. No drip pan. Dis-assembly of the top fairly simple, but lots of nooks and cranies that would be a pain to access.

On the other hand, lack of electronics means if I can't fix it, a buddy of mine that does appliance repair can. For 900.00 it's attractive. I really can't afford the close to 4,000.00 my ideal Bluestar would cost. I could see it as a work in progress. I could adapt knobs, re-do the backguard, re-engineer the latch of the bottom drawer.

Can not add a drip pan under the top burners. Could minimize cleaning with creative tinfoil application.

My opinion, worth exactly what you payed for it, is a question. How much are you willing to compromise?

At least that's the question I ask.

Other companies make products that are more tactily rewarding, better engineered, user friendly, ergonomic, etc.
    Will they cook food any better?

I'm guessing that's still up to the cook.

Sorry, no answers here.

Mark

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm bumping this in hopes that someone who actually has a five star might respond. I'm not asking about the older models. I understand that the newer five star is a different beast -- higher btus, reversible griddle/grill. I've seen this in person at my BIL's house and it's a beautiful looking range. He likes it, but was hoping to hear from a few others as this range business is a lot of $$$.

• jaksown
    16 years ago

Just about to make a final decision on a 48 Fivestar. Sarah, what did you decide and what is your experience if the range is in use?

Anne, do you have sealed or open burners and what is your experience with performance and cleanup?

JAK

• staticfritz
    15 years ago

I LOVE my fivestar 36" all gas open burner range.
    bought it from an appliance dealer going out of business for less than wholesale, and couldn't be happier.

the 21k burners are killers, and the simmer option is such a tiny flame, i can hold my hand over it. melted chocolates, cream sauces, perfect rice, every time!

{{gwi:1378513}}

{{gwi:1378515}}

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Staticfritz,
    Dude1 mentioned an open burner model didn't have a drip tray and I always thought an open burner had to have one. Does yours have one? If not, it seems like it would be difficult to clean. Also, what kind of oven do you have? Gas/electric, convection, self clean? TIA!

• staticfritz
    13 years ago

it's all gas, so no self clean or convection and i got 4 little drip trays with my stove...

they work ok, but i really end up cleaning the whole bottom every couple months anyways. you could easily get one of those oven mats and cut it to size to fit down there