Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisainpa

Stainless Steel Appliances - Choosing a Brand

LisaInPA
10 years ago

Hi! I'm new to posting in the forum but have been learning a lot from reading previous posts. My fiance and I are building a 2,300 square foot home with an open floor plan where the kitchen is open into a large breakfast nook and family room area. We are not sourcing our appliances through the builder due to their inflated costs. We have been to Lowes and Home Depot as well as several local appliance stores numerous times. We are trying to decide which brand to go with, and we are starting with the French door refrigerator. Our first choices right now are Samsung and LG. I really dislike Samsung's stoves and microwaves, however. The dishwasher really can be any brand because it is in the island and not facing outward. The refrigerator will be in the back "corner" of the kitchen not facing outward, next to the entry door from the kitchen to the dining room. I'm thinking about going with the Samsung fridge, and then doing a different brand for the stove, microwave and dishwasher. Would that be odd? I know I have to pay attention to whether the finishes match, but there seems to be several other brands that would coordinate. We would like to keep the cost of the fridge at $2000 or less (on sale), and over 25 cubic feet. Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments (16)

• weissman
    10 years ago

Mixing brands is not odd - that's what most people on this forum do. Even within a brand, the finishes sometimes don't match exactly. Do your research and pick the best appliance in each category. Function over form!

• 59 Dodge
    10 years ago

As Weissman says.

I have 3 different brands in my kitchen.

Elux Icon Oven, Speed oven, Induction cooktop and Wine fridge.

Jenn-air Fridge

Miele Dishwasher

All have been great in the over 7 years I've had them now.

Gary

• palomalou
    10 years ago

We have Wolf ag range, Best hood, Kitchenaid dw and Icon fridge. Happy with all, and I think looks just fine.

• attofarad
    10 years ago

We have a FP dishwasher, Broan hood, Electrolux range, Sharp microwave drawer, LG fridge, and Gaggenau combi oven. All are stainless, except the Gaggenau is aluminum. It all looks fine together, although the Gaggenau would be better if it were some kind of stainless.

I would have gotten the Electrolux fridge so that the handles match the range, but the wife preferred the LG (the 32+cf one). We both hate the stainless fingerprint issue.

My wife's previous kitchen had Viking and Monogram. They have similar flat appearance with similar handles . The Monogram handles are smaller in diameter on the fridge and wine fridge, and are vertical rather than the Viking (range, wall over) horizontal. Looks
    like it goes together.

This post was edited by attofarad on Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 1:28

• figmoman
    10 years ago

Make sure the brushed stainless goes the same direction. I have two Miele ovens right next to a Kitchen Aid fridg. The grain on the Miele is horizontal and on the Kitchen Aid is velticle. To me it really stands out.

• macmomma_gw
    10 years ago

I have a Frigidaire fridge, Samsung range, Whirlpool range, Magic Chef microwave! I just posted about my Samsung range and Frigidaire fridge. One nice feature of the Frigidaire that I really didn't think about when buying was the special stainless finish that doesn't show fingerprints. It's great!

• gtadross_gw
    10 years ago

Couldn't agree more about mixing brands. I have bluestar range and hood, Viking wall oven and microwave, Liebherr main fridge and beverage fridge, a uline ice maker and an asko dishwasher. The only thing they have in common is that they are all stainless steel with a commercial look to all of them.

I chose function over brand bc even in a premium brand, you'd be hard pressed to find one brand that has superior performance for each appliance you'll need.

• karle13
    10 years ago

I also mixed! Just in the middle of a total gutting ! I bought a LG French door fridge, Electrolux icon double wall oven, LG gas 36 cooktop, and Bosch dishwasher!They look great, it's the overall picture!! Although I am still trying different SS cleaners to see what works best!! Tried Stainless steel magic, and Zep foam, did not like that ! Going to try Sprayway next!

• julieboulangerie
    10 years ago

I have a mixed batch of stainless steel- Electrolux range, Broan hood, Samsung refrigerator, Kitchenaid dishwasher.

I bought the most appropriate tools for my use and budget regardless of brand. No one has ever said "Your appliances don't match!"

• LisaInPA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We decided on GE for the Range/Microwave, and Maytag for the dishwasher. Due to space constraints, I have decided not to do the French door fridge and am looking for a side-by-side model now - leaning towards a 25.9 cubic foot GE with a ton of good reviews. Thank you all for the input!

• mboston_gw
    10 years ago

If you go with Samsung, do not go with one that has the ice maker that makes 10 lbs of ice in 24 hours(I think its 24, maybe 12). We had the RF263BEAESR/AA model, its a French Door and although I loved the layout and the way it kept everything fresh in the fridge, the ice maker was a disaster. It dripped water from the ice dispenser, down the front of the fridge and the ice was not fully frozen and water also dripped inside the fridge. We went though months of replacing parts - even the door! Finally, they offered a "buy back" then reneged on it. I stood my ground and finally got the "buy back check."

However, I, in the meantime bought another Samsung fridge, basically because I couldn't find one with a similar layout. This model is an older model RFG298HDRS/XAA. It is no longer being made but it has two ice makers and basically the same layout of the other model. It is a 29 cf instead of a 26 so that helps to make up for the area lost due to slightly different size ice maker. So far so good and this time we have a 5 year warranty through Lowes.

Numerous people complained about ice makers not working on the Samsung fridges. Google "800 complaints on Samsung appliances" and you will see what I mean.

Whatever you do, register your appliances and you will get an additional 3 months of warranty. Plus check your credit card, some give an additonal year if you use it. When we started having issues, it was in the 3 month period. I didn't pay for any of the replacement parts or service charge and the 3 months were past - but I was still working on the initial problem and I kept records of who I spoke with, the transaction numbers, dates I called, copies of the replaced parts and their numbers, etc. That is what helped me fight for the buy back. It seems pretty common for them to offer it then reneg due to some technicality.

If you or anyone needs a phone number for Samsung Home Office/ Office of the President, let me know. I think I saved it for future use.

• bober
    10 years ago

SelectAppliance,

What Samsung "issues" and for what appliances are you talking about? Please be specific.

I noticed in another thread I just read that you stated "LG is definitely higher quality than Kitchen Aid." with no supporting detail. You think this is helpful?

• terbaskin
    10 years ago

There's absolutely nothing wrong with mixing appliance brands. No one company makes everything perfectly.

Here's a kitchen that has a built-in Liebherr refrigerator & freezer on either side of the Miele wall ovens and Miele microwave; on the center island, Futuro Streamline range hood over a Bertazzoni PM36500 gas cooktop.

Eclectic enough? ;)

• sprtphntc7a
    10 years ago

a friend of mine about all samsung appliances and she hates the SS, u cannot get the streaks out....
    she said its a nightmare and wishes she had her white appliances back....
    as to performance, dislikes the DW...
    frig ok, microwave ok, stove ok....not raving about any of them...

just bought about 6 mos ago, bought all at lowe's

• terbaskin
    9 years ago

Can't get streaks out of stainless steel? Weird.

I use either Method SS cleaner or plain old WD-40 (yes, the $2-a-bottle spray that you can get from any hardware store), and never have a problem with fingerprints or streaks.

Do your friend's appliances have any type of special coating / finish, by any chance (like a fingerprint resistant finish)? Or are they "regular" polished/brushed stainless steel?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

SS is a pain in the you-know-what. Hoping that trend ends just as my 2.5 year old SS fridge croaks. I want a white one again.