Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joc6820

New Construction - Need Everything

joc6820
12 years ago

We are building a new home and all appliances remained in the home we recently sold. Wanted to get opinions from the experts here on what we should consider. What is most important to us is build quality, reliability, ease of use/functionality and ergonomics. Don't need lots of fancy features, the absolute latest technology, super-ultra precision, etc. What we know we want for sure so far is:

-induction cooktop, 30" or 4 burners is probably enough

-ventilation

-bottom freezer fridge (single or French Door) 36 to 48 inches, have space for separates if it's a good idea

-one roomy regular oven, mainly for baking

-one microwave with convection or a speed oven

-dishwasher

-washer/dryer

-nice to haves: maybe a warming drawer, steamer (not convinced on these)

Budget for all this is around 16 to 18K, delivered and installed. We plan on using a local source.

Can it be done? Suggestions?

Thanks

Comments (21)

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

It can be done within your budget.

First question, can you fit in a seperate full-size all-fridge and all-freezer? Say 30"-32" wide and 26.5" deep? That is a lot cheaper than a built-in 48".

Something like Frigidaire Professional Series FPRH19D7LF.

Since this is new contruction you can plan these in instead of spening the megabucks on a built-in 48".

That gives a lot of refrigerator and freezer room plus leaves more budget for nicer appliances elsewhere.

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

• stooxie
    12 years ago

Frankly I think the more important thing right now is to make sure they provide you the most flexible infrastructure so that if/when you change appliances later you have all the options.

Wire and gas line is cheap. Tearing apart walls to put it in is not. Ask me how I know! :)

At every location I would put in a 3/4" gas line and a 240v drop. Well, except the fridge. Heck we even put one in the attic for when we dump this worthless heat pump and put in a dual fuel HVAC unit.

That way you always have your choice. You can do a gas or electric dryer. Range top with electric ovens. Dual oven wall unit that can be gas or electric. Powerful gas appliances can be fed by 3/4" lines. You may not want it now but you might in the future and future home buyers really appreciate that kind of stuff. It gives options.

My guess is the total cost of a few additional lines (power or gas) would be $1000 to $1,500. Nothing relative to the house.

Cost of not having to redo it in the future: priceless!

OH, and plumbing, too. Don't want a prep sink? Fine, I'd rough in water and drainage under the island anyway.

-Stooxie

• joc6820
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, sounds like good advice. We are around 4-6 weeks until framing. I think that's when hard decisions need to be made on cut-out's and sizing for appliances. Couple of fridge questions: Are there real advantages to separate refrigerator and freezer units? Why aren't there more under counter freezers? With a bottom freezer on a fridge, which is what we want, you're bending over anyway. We've had side by sides and don't like them because they're too skinny and don't use the space efficiently. On under counters, I only see the sub zero which is pretty pricey.

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

Seperate freezer and fridge units have seperate compressors with a size and speed specific for its function not a compromise. Two in one units have a heat shield or some kind of thermal barrier between the two units while seperate units are allowed give off heat being pulled out of the inside of the unit to ambient air.Not a big advantage over two-in-one units with two systems. Some argue there is no advantage if the compressor in the single unit is variable speed but that is a subject for its own thread.

The best thing about SxS is you can have ice-dispensers with the ice-maker in the freezer.Unlike French doors that have the ice-maker in the fridge.

There are only a few undercounters because demand for them is low therefore there is no economies of scale. I am getting two units. A 24" freezer column and 24" fridge column. Wide enough to fit turkeys,pizza boxes,or whatever you want.

• joc6820
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Which 24" units are you getting? Poster above suggests Frigidaire but they are 32" each. Not sure I want to give up 64" of space. Whirlpool,GE and Elux also have these types of all fridge/all freezer units. 32" seems to be some kind of standard, at least for the big makers. We had a side by side before, don't remember the width. I know for sure a big pizza box didn't fit. Freezer was also too skinny.

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

Poster above is me :)
    Standard size freezer in SxS until very recenty when 36" SxS became standard were 12" wide freezers.

I am getting seperate freezer because I want the ice dipsenser away from my cooking triangle so I am installing the freezer and refrigerator in seperate areas of the kitchen.Looked into seperate undercounter ice maker machine but not only expensive but expensive to operate.Major water and electricty hog but very nice clear ice.Plus my family loves the ice-dispenser and crushed ice.

I have the Liebherr 24" all-refrigerator and probably getting Thermador 24" all-freezer with ice-dispneser.
    These are expensive options unless you are willing to go on a major bargain hunting safari for floor models and/or discontinued models.

• kurtzicus
    12 years ago

These are interesting options deeageaux -- I too am building a new construction kitchen and have struggled with the fridge here.

For some reason I don't mind paying the $$ for a 48" range, but the money on a built-in fridge just seems outrageous to me. My problem with a 48" built-in style fridge is that they actually don't store that much -- say 27 to 29 cubic feet of storage. A regular old kenmore or GE would cost me $2k or $2500 and store just as much.

I have a family of 6 and you'd be surprised how fast we eat up (no pun intended) fridge and freezer space. I think this is the hardest option of all the things you're looking at.

My two three requirements are:
    1. Ice & water dispenser
    2. SPACE
    3. Cost

The only thing I can seem to find that fits the bill is a built-in model, a 48" say Thermador or even a Jennair, but it's still $8k or $9k. I'm doing new construction so I have the ability to actually buy a regular fridge (non-counter depth) and recess it by 4 inches or so ... I might just do that at a total cost of $2500.

I really like the option of the Frigidair professionals....too bad they're 36". I feel your pain joc.

Any such fridges as these Frigidair's but 24" each instead of 36" for more reasonable money?

• joc6820
    Original Author
    12 years ago

deegeaux's post got me looking into separate fridge/freezer columns. I would consider the Elux/GE/frigidaire, but, as noted, all their models get you to at least 64" of width. A lot. Unless you can spend Sub Zero dollars, it looks like the only options are Liebherr or Thermador. Also Northland, but I know nothing about them. I started looking at the Thermador promotion. Basically, if you're buying everything, which I will be, they throw in what looks like one of their better dishwashers and a good range hood. I added it up and it's quite a savings. Sounds like people here are not huge fans of these all-from-one manufacturer promos, but it looks tempting. Jenn Air also has a really tempting buy-everything promo, but they don't have column fridge models. Not many fans of Jenn Air here, but I think it's basically Kitchenaid stuff. Any thoughts?

• kurtzicus
    12 years ago

joc you're going through the same tribulations I'm going through. The "all in one" package from Jennair is tempting. I priced out a whole kitchen 48" range w/ dual ovens, hood w/ separate blower, dishwasher (their best model), and 48" fridge with 29 cubic feet or so of storage. The whole package was $19k including 6.75% sales tax here in MA after an instant rebate.

The nearly identical package from Thermador was $23k after a mail-in get your money in a few weeks rebate.

Let me know what you find on the fridge.

I'm leaning towards a 48" CC range+oven with a 4xgrillx2 configuration and and yet-to-be-determined hood. I am hoping to visit Eurostoves here in MA at some point in the next few days.

I am leaning towards a then more "normal" fridge+micro+dishwasher in the kitchen. Given that I'm new construction will recess the fridge into the wall 4 inches, get more space w/ a normal fridge, and it will then appear counter depth. I have no idea on top brands to look at for the dishwasher+fridge+micro combo but happy to take advice. I want something in the high-end range of normal...GE profile or who knows.

This is where I am -- same types of looking around as you. Let me know what you find.

• joc6820
    Original Author
    12 years ago

kurtzicus, so far I've only priced out the Thermador package on the pieces I want. 30" induction cooktop, 30" double oven with microwave/convection, 30" fridge and 24" freezer. Retail price, which you have to pay to get the freebies, around 16K. They give you a higher end dishwasher and rangetop ventilation unit. Seems pretty good to me. I think the bigger question is what are the pro/cons of these all-from-one manufacturer deals. I don't think there's any doubt you can save money. The negatives I've heard so far are 1) you're stuck with the same warranty service guy for everything, if they're no good, you're out of luck and 2) no one manufacturer makes the best/highest value appliance in each category so you're better of mixing and matching. Don't know yet which way I will go, but will probably look at other manufacturers promos and do some numbers. Don't need to pull the trigger until early March.

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

ABT is going to have 7% off in the next week or so....

• bodhi
    12 years ago

I'm in the same boat!

I also looked at the thermador and Jennair promo "buy it all from us" package and I'm not thrilled with getting everything from either brand.

My original appliance search started with wanting a larger fridge. We currently have a 36" non-counter depth SxS and it seems so tiny. I thought it was just the SxS, but quickly began to realize I wanted a counter depth fridge so I'd have to go wider to get anything with more room. Thats why the appliance salesman took us to the Thermador and Jennair rooms to show us the larger fridge options.

However, neither gets great reviews for all their products so I'm now leaning towards mix and match brands to get what I want and not worry about promo's that save a small amount but get you stuff you didn't really want in the first place.

The price joc6820 quoted is about what I got without adding in any tax. After realizing I was ok going that high I found I could look at a SZ 48" builtin and still end up with a similar budget.

fridge/freezer: SubZero 48" builtin
    Cooktop: Electrolux Icon 36" induction
    Ovens: Electrolux double wall ovens (maybe Icon, mulling over one regular oven and one speed oven)
    DW: Bosch (not the $1800 model, but one just over 1k)
    MW: Sharp drawer
    Hood: undecided on this so far, just has to suck air and be quiet!

The SZ seperate columns do end up being more expensive, but the 48" seems large enough for my needs. Its still a SxS which I thought I wanted to avoid, but its wide enough to not bother me I think. There are definitely cheaper ways to get more fridge space and many nice options have already been mentioned above.

• joc6820
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bodhi: I feel your pain...sounds like we are in roughly the same boat. I won't actually be seeing appliances and making decisions for another 5 weeks. I'm just doing web research for now. My learning so far is the biggest problem (challenge) by far is......the fridge! I say this from the perspective of buying a full load of appliances in a new construction context. There seem to be lots of options for cooktops, ovens, dishwashers, etc. that are reasonable quality and decent pricing. But the fridge, arrrrgh! It's by far the biggest cost item for the type of kitchen I want and has the biggest impact on overall kitchen design (size). Like you, I swore I'd never consider a side by side after living with one for the past 5 years. And now, I'm looking at a side by side!
    I've concluded, for now, that a 36" unit will not be big enough. This leads into the land of 48" units and separate columns. The current contender is a 48" Liebherr model. It looks like two of their 24" models strapped together. It's around 6K on AJ Madison. What I like about it is both fridge sections are on top and both freezer sections below. My concern is, does it just double-up on the too-skinny issue I had with my last SXS fridge? Also, four sections/four doors...how will that actually wear?
    I still think the Thermador package may be a player. The dishwasher and hood they "give" you are not inexpensive pieces and their fridges seem to offer a lot of flexibility.
    To be continued.....

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

Well, I got my freezer tonight.

A Gaggenau RF463 701. Floor model $1500 delivered.

Very similar to the Thermador 24" Freezer with ice dispenser.

Gagg has SS interior,its own bins and drawers as well as crushed ice. I don't think think the T'dore has that.

The fridge is a Liebherr RBI1410 floor model $950 delivered.That has been in my storage room for about a year.

That concludes my bargain hunting safari. It saved me about $7500.

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

If I was forced to get a suite of appliances in one package including induction cooktop my first choice would be Miele and 2nd Thermador.

Bosch-Siemens Home Appliance Group makes the columns for Thermador,Gaggenau,and Miele. Thermador side by side is made by Whirlpool.

If you go with Miele obviously their dishwasher and washer/dryer rock. They also make a speed oven. More appliances equal bigger discount? I own a 27" Bosch Vision washer but that is discontinued only have the smaller Europena size now.

Thermador dishwasher is rebadged Bosch.

Thermador induction is from BSH. The only negative I have heard is one person that ended up buying the Miele induction cooktop could not confirm if they could "bridge" two induction hobs in the Thermador to evenly heat a griddle.

Thermador oven and warming oven is their own design made in Tennessee.

Both companies,I believe,sub-contract out their ventilation and both are fine.

• jbrothersmom
    12 years ago

Probably treason to post this here. Due to space limitations (existing kitchen, did not move walls) we went with the 48" Kenmore Pro. Not here yet but half the price of the Subzero. I hope we don't regret it but I do know someone with a very expensive home/kitchen that has one and is very happy with it. I have the Kenmore Elite induction which I love, love, love........keeping that in the renovation because it is only a year old. Considered the Northland but their local representative couldn't tell me who would service or install and when I contacted Northland on line they didn't answer. I thought the Thermador did not have a good layout and seemed like too much wasted space. We loved the LIebherr but the 24" wide refrigerator unit was a deal breaker.

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

Why would it be treason to post about the Kenmore Pro 48?

I considered it. It is built by Samsung. Samsung gets high praise from JD Powers for French Door and SxS freestanding.

They had one at my local Sears Outlet a while back. While I was researching and thinking about it someone else purchased it.

• joc6820
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've convinced myself (for today) that I need a 48" fridge, or at least a 42". Either two 24" panels, or a 30" and an 18". Second option being a full 48" SXS. Contenders for the panels being Leibherr and Thermador. For the one piece, Liebherr, Thermador, Jenn Air, GE, Electrolux, Dacor. My understanding is the Thermador 48 is not made by BSH and not the same quality as their panels. True? The others I don't know much about, would love further opinions. Not having any of these problems with the other appliances, the fridge is the toughest!

• westsider40
    12 years ago

Here's what we did. Bought the 36" LG fd fridge for ca $1500, 25 c.f., no ice/water in door, but freezer has an icemaker. It's 24 1/4"deep and is recessed about 3 inches with cabs built around it.

AND have Elux, undercouner, refrigerator drawers, 6 c.f. for $2k. These wonderful drawers are quiet and direct traffic for cold drinks, yogurts, snacks
    to an area outside of cooking zone. Drawers are easy to access and you don't have to be on the floor to get to the bottom shelf. Pricier than undercounter shelves but we love them and saved money on the main fridge, LG.

LG does have ones with ice/water in the door.

We detested our old s x s and that played a part in deciding to reno. Fridge decision drove me crazy, too.

• kurtzicus
    12 years ago

Westsider I like that idea: 36" normal fridge and then a drawer.

I am currently thinking I'm going to do a:

1. Capital Culinarian 48" w/ grill
    2. And either a Kitchenaid or GE Profile (eek?) or Monogram 48" SxS fridge, dishwasher, wine fridge, microwave, and a broan/BEST hood with the damper system for make up air.

total cost around $15k to $17k actually....for a "pro looking" set of range + appliances -- although w/ some real trade offs.

The other choice was just to go more best of breed (more $$) and in that case ....One concern I had on piecing things together is how different the stainless steel might look across what would be a CC range, a Liebherr fridge, a Bosch DW, and a wine fridge from someone else and a micro from someone else...they are all pretty close to each other, so I think we might notice. Anyone have issues with this?

• joc6820
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought of this idea too. In my case, I need additional freezer space more than fridge space. I have plenty of room for drawers or an under counter unit in the kitchen design, but there are hardly any on the market that are just freezer. There's a SZ drawer model, but it's more than 4K.
    I may end up with a "normal" (36") bottom freezer fridge and an inexpensive chest freezer unit in the laundry room or garage. Still trying to avoid a side by side if possible.