Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where are all the awesome beer fridges?

Posted by pumpkinhouse (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 14:32

With craft beer becoming so popular these days, I'm surprised I can't find more options for undercounter fridges made specifically for beer. My criteria would be:
-dual zone, colder for lagers, warmer for ales
-no glass doors to let in light
-two shelves so all bottles can be stood up
-locking, since all wine coolers seem to lock

I did find one made by U-line that has everything but the lock. There are so many wine coolers on the market, I'm just surprised the specialty beer fridge market isn't bigger.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where are all the awesome beer fridges?

Why not use an adjustable temperature wine fridge?

o

The wine bottles are laid on their side. Ideally, beer bottles are stored standing up.

o

Well, just my view, but wine fridges are made to store wine over a long period. Typically only red wines are stored. Beer, on the other hand, is meant to be imbibed relatively soon.

I live in San Diego, pretty much the craft brew capital of the world right now. I have enough beer on hand to last me about two weeks, from IPAs to lagers. They live in their cases in the garage, and I put in my regular fridge an assortment to drink.

Just an aside, but I see many brewers are finally switching to cans.

o

Actually, there are beers that get better with age, even a few years. A trend now is to age high alcohol content beers like stouts in bourbon barrels before being bottled, and can be stored even longer at home. IMO they don't taste the great when they are young, too sharp and the alcohol taste is too strong. But they age like good wines.
But I do get your point, that beer in a beer fridge in my kitchen won't stick around for years. That's what a cellar is for.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here