Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there an otr microwave that does not vent through front/top?

Posted by bradesp (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 14:31

Guys/Gals,

We're building a custom "niche" in our cabinets to accommodate an Over The Range Microwave that sits "flush" into the wall cabinets... Here's the rub (no pun intended)... most of the OTR microwaves seemed to be designed with venting for the regular microwave operation on the top front 1" of the unit...

Obviously with this venting locating, we can't push the microwave back flush with the surrounding cabinetry, otherwise we will block the vent that sits on top right next to the door opening....

What I'm wonder is this... the underside of the microwave is completely "open"... I've looked online, but it's near impossible to tell if there's a unit made by any mauf that actually allows you to vent the microwave exhaust out the bottom of the unit.

Does such a thing exist?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there an otr microwave that does not vent through front/t

I believe the Miele microwave might work, we have owned one and its a great built-in microwave. It does not vent out bottom though.

Oops- sorry missed the OTR part of your post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele Microwave

This post was edited by xc60 on Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 15:09

o
RE: Is there an otr microwave that does not vent through front/t

If you are just using it as a faux built in MW, and you aren't using it as a vent, you just don't turn on the vent. So, it doesn't matter where the air comes out and it never sucks the air in.

If you are using the MW as a vent, then it hooks up to a vent pipe, and again, you needn't worry about where the air goes as it goes out the vent.

If you are using the OTR to recirculate over a range, then after telling you that there are MUCH MUCH better choices, I'd tell you too look at one with a front vent as opposed to a top vent. Most of the lower cost models vent out the front, not the top.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here