Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clerkshipwanted

Miele - getting nervous

housebuilder14
9 years ago

I was all set to purchase my Miele oven, steam/convection, and DW but the recent GW post and some other rants I've read have made me nervous. Any recent installs that have been problem OR better yet, filled with problems but taken care of by Miele/installer.

I'm also confused about the warranty. I'm new build and I doubt my GC is going to outsource install to a Miele certified. So does that void warranty?

This post was edited by housebuilder14 on Sat, Jan 3, 15 at 15:10

Comments (19)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Miele dishwasher installed earlier last August, no problems. Not much of a track record, but it is recent.

My challenge to you: find a brand with no rants.

• homepro01
    9 years ago

Buy the miele warranty if your builder will not let the manufacturer install. Don't buy another warranty because Miele parts are only though Miele. I recently bought a Miele induction cooktop and a wok burner. They are not installed yet. I have over 10 other Miele appliances. Apart from replacing a light bulb in the dryer recently, I have not had any maintenance issues. My dishwasher is 8year old or more and has been flawless from day one. Negative experiences resonate more than positive ones. Always read the reviews with skepticism. Positive experiences are not always reported unless specifically asked for while negative experiences are freely given as the person experiencing the issue is trying to get to a resolution.

No matter what you order, all mechanical and electronic items have a risk of breaking.
    Good luck!!

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

A few years ago there was an extra year of warranty if a Miele certified installer was used. I don't know if that's still valid -- I would definitely call them and check. If not, don't pay an upcharge for that.

I know they do have a white-glove installation group but it's regional and you'd need to call them and check if that's available.

I call them in the morning to get the east coast service center. I haven't had good results calling in the afternoon.

If it doesn't matter who installs then the thing to know is that their products must be installed exactly as the specs say. I would pull the specification sheet for each appliance off the website, make duplicates and hand those to the installer. If Miele says the oven needs a cut out in back, it needs a cut out in back exactly in the dimensions it requires, etc.

I made some unfortunate appliance choices for our reno 10 years ago and have been replacing with Miele. Like homepro, I know them well. My original Miele dishwasher is going on 11 now and never had a service call. I now have a Miele oven, washer/dryer and most recently built-in refrigerator.

Their quality and reliability is excellent. The temperature problems in the ovens from several years ago have been fixed.

You have 1 year to the day of purchase to buy an extended service contract for any appliance directly from Miele. That is done directly from their website and there is a 10% discount on any warranty if you use a coupon code. Here is one that is supposedly open-ended but I cannot guarantee that: TSX 450409. Be sure to keep a copy of the website purchase. If you are buying more than one, it's best to call them and verify that all the warranties are grouped together under your name.

Their service techs are well trained & know how to deal with the electronic diagnostics and make any adjustments. I contact them via Miele tech support, who makes the appointments.

My refrigerator was installed by the dealer's installer who mostly does SubZero. He installed the Miele correctly but didn't didn't read the directions and didn't adjust the door panels. The dealer then sent 2 different servicers to adjust the door panels and neither knew how to do it properly.

When my washer needed service I was lucky to get one of the senior Miele techs who had been fixing an oven in my town. He called me directly from the other job and they came over and fixed the washer, adjusted the fridge panels and also adjusted the dishwasher door. These guys really know what they are doing. My fridge door was perfect in 10 minutes.

However, if I had purchased a more expensive extended warranty from the dealer vs Miele I would not be happy at all.

This post was edited by rococogurl on Sun, Jan 4, 15 at 9:16

• zeebee
    9 years ago

New Miele dishwasher owner. Appliance arrived with a hole in the hose. Called service, they sent a new hose and it arrived two days later. Problem: new hose was supply hose, not drain hose (think this was a miscommunication on my end as to which part needed replacing). Called again, rep sent the correct hose and told me to keep the supply hose too. New part again arrived in two days. Everything is now installed and works just fine.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I have several miele appliances. My DW is the only extended warranty item. My original DW was a lemon or poor maintenance from local appliance repair. Miele fired them and my new DW(4-5 years) has been great. I had Miele check it once and works great. I toss the dishes in without rinsing and 99% of the time they are clean.
    I recommend the Miele tabs

• laundryvet
    9 years ago

Miele DW owner here, works great after 14 months of operation. Only issue was soap deposits in unit, could have been dead water softener. A few washes with white vinegar seems to have solved issue.

Had to order a part through Miele Service, they picked up phone immediately and sent part that I lost during install free of charge.

Laundyvet

• kevink109
    9 years ago

if you purchase your Miele appliance and have the miele dealer install the unit- you receive a 5 year warranty- I believe this promotion runs though the end of January

• Karl Lonieski
    9 years ago

I have Miele double oven induction cooktop, refrigerator, and dishwasher. Took out extended warranty just on the induction cooktop...Installed a year ago, and all have been flawless!

• theutahn
    9 years ago

We've had a Miele diswasher for 8 years now - paid around $2200 for it. The good news is when it works it cleans dishes very well, and it is very quiet. But we have had many issues with it - parts can only be ordered through the Miele dealer and are very expensive. Our adjustable top rack has broken twice, both out of warranty - $100 for each repair + labor. Bottom seal has disintegrated a few times, bottom door seal has gone out, and it has needed 'programming' twice from the dealer. Our dealer has said they see all these issues regularly (they only deal Miele and Electrolux).

I have called Miele directly about the litany of issues we have had and their customer service rep was so rude and unhelpful with our questions that it left a bad taste in my mouth. When I offered to buy an extended warranty due to the problems we were already having under warranty, the CS response was "no." I love the DW, but if I were doing it again we would just buy a Bosch for less than 1/2 the price.

• eshmh
    9 years ago

If one can wait, Miele Canada has perfect 10 promotion offering free 10 year warranty or 10% off on almost any single appliance. US should have something similar.

• xedos
    9 years ago

Kincaid, you must live in an area with terrible water that eats your seals and destroys rack.

News flash: parts for a bosch are expensive too, and KitchenAid too. Would that have been a problem for you too? Does it really matter that you can "order" them from sears, or Ace, or parts are us on the internet? They all cost about the same and ultimately come from Bosch or kitchenAid's mothership anyway. Your local Sears is not stocking a. Bosch heater pressure switch , so is ordering a part from miele really that big a deal? I think it's actually easier since you don't have think about where is the best place to buy ,and the price is then same no matter what.

I've got bosch and miele units , some more than twenty years old and their racks and door seals are just fine as are the racks. I suspect it's something to do with your local since your dealer regularly sees these issues. I can tell you the miele dealers I talk with in the southeast don't see rack and door seal failures "regularly"

Also, you won't get a Bosch with SIMILAR features for half the price of a miele! sorry. You can get a Bosch for half the price of a miele if you select a low budget price point special of theirs. The ones that are $499 and have a two piece tub design where the bottom is made of plastic !

Like for like the bosch units are around 15-20% less expensive - and maybe you should feel peeved that it's only that much less considering they are made in the USA by lower paid workers, don't have travel expenses from Germany, and don't have import fees and duty added into the price.

I'm not knocking bosch here, like I said , I have a couple of them. I just telling you that grass ain't always greener with the "other" brand.

• Mary Readel
    9 years ago

I was just at a Miele Showroom for a demonstration of their Steam and Convection Steam Ovens. I was very impressed. I have been researching for four months, and visiting this site as well. I talked to the other attendees at this demonstration, owners and lookers, and gained a lot of good information. I am going with the Miele Steam Convection Oven and Induction Cook Top ( I like that each cooking surface has a 'timer' that will turn off.) Check on your cook top to make sure your model will offer that...;) One couple remodeled their kitchen and just put in a Convection/Steam Oven and not a Conventional Oven, and they have not missed the conventional oven. They even entertained twenty family members over the holidays with no problems with only the combi/steam oven by Miele.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Does Miele let you return parts for any reason within a year of purchase, even after you've installed them?

I agree that Bosch and KA parts are expensive but when I checked a while ago, I remember control boards both being significantly less than Miele. And I've also noticed Miele repairs on this forum being a ton more than other brands. I seem to remember reading about someone having a control board replaced in their oven for nearly $1k and someone else a heating element for around $500. Outrageous.

I am not a fan of Miele's closed in service and parts model at all, but I bought one anyway knowing what I was getting myself into. I figured that hopefully, the fact that it was a quality product would make up for that. So far, I haven't regretted my decision and I like everything about it: noise levels, interior features, performance, and reliability. Time will tell, but I hope I continue to be this happy with it for several years to come.

• theutahn
    9 years ago

This post was edited by kincade on Fri, Jan 9, 15 at 23:57

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

My oven control board did cost $800 however, the replacement resulted from a lightning strike, not from oven operation. The oven is going on 9 and, like the dw, never had a service call.

The replacement had nothing to do with the oven and was certainly less than a new oven. The service call took 30 minutes, which kept the labor cost down, because the servicer knew exactly what he was doing.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

@housebuilder14 - the door switch quit or became loose on our combi-steam oven (it does not recognize when the door is open / lights no longer come on).

I had the cabinetbuilders make the cabinets to the specs in the installation manual and installed it on my own. The switch should fall under the manufacturer's warranty since it's about six months old if even that, but we'll see...

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Figured it out yesterday - it's a software thing.If the water/condensate door is open when the oven is turned off it can forget when you open the oven door. Strange, but whatever. It's figured out now and everyone is happy again :)

• pprioroh
    9 years ago

My miele experience was a disaster. As I posted elsewhere, ONLY buy miele if you have a local qualified installer. If you are any distance from one, RUN.