Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanpn

Miele dishwasher choice confusion -- please advise!

susanpn
15 years ago

I am so confused -- I've read the postings here and know I want a Miele dishwasher. I also looked at the Miele website, but there are so many different versions of each of their models, I don't know which is right for me. I just want stainless, don't mind the controls being outside (although do like the towel bar look) and MUST have the upper silverware tray! I need a lower priced model as $1200 is already a splurge. I am not clear on what prefinished and integrated mean......and the website isn't clearing it up for me. Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments (15)

• susanpn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

THANK YOU!! I will choose prefinished. However, the choices are "prefinished," or "fully integrated prefinished".....what does THAT mean and how do I know which I need?
    And the various models, wish there was a way to compare them side-by-side! I think the Inspira is the one I like, but does anyone know the difference between them all (Excella, Optima, etc.)????

• eggcream
    15 years ago

Fully integrated, like integrated means you must supply your own panel. Fully integrated machines are those that have the hidden controls; integrated means the controls are on the outside. But you want prefinished definately. You can choose on any model whether you want your controls outside or hidden. I'm sure you pay more for hidden.

I'm looking at the brochure and I believe you can get a top cutlery tray on several of the Inspira models. If you want to keep your budget this is probably the "level" you want. The next model up is the Optima, then Excella and LaPerla. Each level up denotes increased sound insulation, extra cycles which are not too important and more flexibilty with baskets. Make sure you see in person the model and basket configuration you are interested in. Miele DW's baskets are different than US machines and take time to get used to figuring out how to load no matter what model you choose. Good luck and write if you need more info. When I purchased my machine I started a post about how to load a Miele DW. Maybe back in Oct or November.

• susanpn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you eggcream! I believe I just saw your post about a week or so ago, if it was the one with a bunch of "before" and "after" photos? It was one of the main things that got me focused on the Miele, and then New Year's eve we were with friends and I saw with my own eyes the amazing result of washing a full food-smeared load that came out shiny clean in an older model (4 years old, doesn't have a familiar name for the model -- incognito or something like that). They have a fully integrated one.
    Thanks for your clarifications, what was confusing is that there is a "prefinished fully integrated" choice, which makes no sense since you told me prefinished means it comes with the front panel and integrated means it doesn't and the panel is an additional piece I'd have to buy. Anyway, as long as I can get prefinished I think I am good to go, will have to see them in person as you say but wanted to narrow it down first. I will look at Optima as well and see what the real differences are in noise and price. I so appreciate your help in clarifying and feel a bit more knowledgeable for going to look at a showroom. Hate dealing with the dealers, wish Best Buy or Lowe's had Miele! :-)

• homepro01
    15 years ago

Susan,
    I don't know where you are located Geographically but if you go to the Miele website, you can locate a Miele Showroom. This is a location where you can pretty much see all the products and play with them. They don't actually sell the product and will refer you to a local dealer. I would take your plates to try out in the different configurations. I have an older Miele so I can't comment on the newer configurations.
    Good luck!

• fauguy
    15 years ago

For your price range, check out the Diamante G6150SC.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele Diamante

• eggcream
    15 years ago

Glad I could help, I too went thru dishwasher hell when I chose my Miele DW....like going thru a smorgasbord of options to create your own machine, with not enough explanation by Miele on the differences. And again in my opinion their use and care book is not much better. Not sure if they are still selling the Diamante which is a sharp looking machine. But you can call Miele's 800 number for the pre-purchase info line and they probably can walk you thru everything before you go to a dealer to order.

• eggcream
    15 years ago

Glad I could help. You can get additional information by calling Miele's 800 #, they have a line for pre purchase information and I'm sure they can lay it all out for you. Yes, if the Diamante is available, it's really a sharp looking machine.

• eggcream
    15 years ago

I feel sooo dumb, I thought my response right above was rejected so I retyped another one. Now you have two of the same.

• susanpn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone! That Diamante looks like it could be the winner, fauguy. It's got a different model number (2150 instead of 6150) for whatever that matters, but looks great. I will go check it out, we live in Vermont and there is only one place reasonably close to see Miele and it's a small appliance store. Hopefully they'll have it there!
    ALso, it's rated Q2 so is that quiet enough? I imagine it will be....and is it a bad idea to buy online, like from US Appliances? Pricing seems better for those kind of stores but I wonder about if there are repair issues what I would do...

• lacombe
    15 years ago

Hi susanpn, first of all I want to wish you a belated Birthday, I see it was your Birthday yesterday, I hope you had a Wonderful day. We have a Miele fully intergrated dishwasher for 8 years now. The fully intergrated dishwasher means it comes to you with no pnael on the outside, you get your cabinet maker to make up a panel for you to match your cabinets.I got my cabinet maker to make a panel for me that looks like 3 drawers with the knobs, so that when it's closed it doesn't even look like a dishwasher. I going to post some pictures for you. Our Miele is the Incognito one. This is what it looks like closed {{gwi:1377947}} When it's opened, you have the control panel right at the top. {{gwi:1377949}} This is the cutlery tray, you can take it right out. {{gwi:1377950}} This is the top basket, you can change the height, up or down with the orange handles. {{gwi:1377951}} This is the bottom basket,the 2 orange clips at the back, you click on them ,and the small racks fold down for bulkier dishes, I've used this many times. {{gwi:1377952}} This is the soap dispenser to the left, and the jet dry dispenser to the right. I use the Cascade soap. I opened both containers so that you can see what they look like inside, then they just snap close. {{gwi:1377953}} This is a picture of the food screen filter, my husband takes this out about every 2 months, gives it a good clean and wash, then pops it back in again. It's a bit too tight for me to take it out, so he does did for me. {{gwi:1377954}} This picture of the white round thing is for your salt, some people have to use this if they live on acreage, when the water is pretty bad, thats when this really helps. {{gwi:1377955}} This is just the picture of what it looks like at the bottom. {{gwi:1377956}} I hope all of this helped. My Husband sells appliances, and every one loves their Miele Dish Washers, including us.

• susanpn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much, lacombe! And for the birthday wishes too :-)
    Where in Canada are you? We are in Vermont and 2 hours to Montreal, maybe I can buy a Miele from your husband!! If it's less expensive to buy Canadian....
    Seriously, if you got a new one today which model would you choose? I think the Diamante would be good, although originally the Inspira was what i was thinking. I like that the quiet rating is a bit higher for the Diamante. I don't need integrated as my appliances are all stainless, so the prefinished is fine and should be a bit less expensive. Thank you for all the photos, I didn't realize there was a screen filter you could empty! We will have septic so that is great for keeping extra stuff out of the system!

• lacombe
    15 years ago

Hi susanpn, Yes we're in Canada too, I'm in Alberta. I hope you can find a good Miele dishwasher. If your going to be on septic, Miele Brand is the perfect dishwasher for you because it has that place at the bottom where you put the salt in.

• drtom77
    15 years ago

susan- The Miele Inspira is a great choice. I was at first worried, because it's listed as one of Miele's least quiet models, but forget about it! I've only had them ( I got 2) for a couple of weeks, and several times I've opened the door mid-cycle because I didn't realize it was running! And the cleanest glasses and silverware I've ever had! Go for it.

• PRO
    Joe Henderson
    15 years ago

Be aware they are changing models around. They will have a newer version out any day now with an upgraded drying setup on even their bottom line model. They are also lowering their pricing on some of their models. The new model will be a G2142SC. I believe the diamante will be changing to a G2143SCSS and getting a fully integrated variant model# G2183SCVi