Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
detroit_burb

Wall oven caution - IKEA/Nutid/Datid/Whirlpool

detroit_burb
11 years ago

This post is meant to steer people away from IKEA Nutid, Datid, and all Whirlpool wall ovens.

I have been without a functioning oven for three months, and have had service out a total of five times to replace, and re-replace parts on a wall oven that was used a total of 12 months and died after the first time I used the self clean function. Whirlpool manufactures the IKEA ovens and there are two class action lawsuits against Whirlpool, one in Texas, one in New York, regarding the problem with their self cleaning ovens malfunctioning and blowing fuses after self clean.

I owned a 1984 Jenn-Air range, and a 2003 Jenn-Air range prior to this wall oven, both performed well on self clean, without any performance problems. The 1984 range was used for 20 years without any service, the 2003 range was used for 8 years without needing service. I know how to maintain my appliances well.

Whirlpool wall ovens should be avoided. There are other brands that badge whirlpool ovens with their own name - be sure to ask before you buy if it is a whirlpool oven.

Comments (52)

• detroit_burb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had a 2003 Jenn-air oven with more functions that were completely electronic, with a touchpad. I was successfully self cleaned many times in the 8 years I used it. The outside did not heat up to the point of burning my hand during self clean.

I don't believe the issue is electronics because my 2003 Jenn-air had more electronics and had more functions that my current wall oven. The IKEA wall oven exterior heats up to the point of melting plastic during self clean. This is a design defect. I do believe that the oven is NOT properly insulated to begin with.

I am still under warranty, but they cannot seem to be able to fix it. It was sold to me as a self cleaning oven, it is not designed to withstand self clean.

• Jumpilotmdm
    11 years ago

I don't drive my car to the limit on the speedometer, ever and I also don't use the self cleaning feature on my oven.
    Try sitting a pan of diluted ammonia in a warm-only oven [turned off] overnite and then you can clean it with conventional products in the morning.

• attofarad
    11 years ago

Well Jump, if you bought a car with AC, you would probably want to be able to use it without the engine shutting down until repair...like self clean, it is there to keep you from sweating.

• sukie
    10 years ago

Yes! I bought this oven from IKEA two years ago, I have tried to use the self-clean twice and twice it has broken the oven! Repair person says not to use that feature again. Whirlpool says IKEA's installation instructions are wrong and IKEA isn't saying anything....I can always clean it by hand but I paid for this....I say IKEA has to own up....

• lee676
    10 years ago

Doesn't IKEA have a 5 year warranty on all their appliances?

• detroit_burb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sukie9,

I have had two different certified Whirlpool repair shops out with professional repair people. There were several appointments to my home in a 4 month period, the oven not working for all but 5 days of that time period. I had each one inspect the installation and both said there were no installation problems. I left a recording device on during the repairs - my attorney said there was no problem doing this, so I have two certified repair people on video with audio stating the installation is not a problem.

The oven has never gone thru a self cleaning cycle since purchased, it cannot go thru a self cleaning cycle, it will self destruct. This is a manufacturing defect.

I wholeheartedly disagree with the comment above that he/she does not drive their car to the limit on the odometer, this is not a appropriate comparison.

I would not have purchased an oven without a self clean feature. Period.

False advertising, IKEA, and Whirlpool -POORLY DONE!

lee676, there is a 5 year in home warranty. This means nothing. I waited 5-7 days for service each time. Ordered parts take another 7-10 to be shipped. Then another service call. Each service call is 1-2 hours minimum. I can spend my entire 5 years with no oven at this rate.

Do you think that is fair?

• lee676
    10 years ago

no - but it beats you having to pay for parts and labour, which is how it isw with most brands after one years, maybe two or three, including Whilpool's "high-end" Jenn-Air and KitchenAid brands. Certain parts may get a long warranty but not the whole appliance. Ikea's Whirlpool service can be annoyingly slow, but at least you don't pay for directly for each scheduled visit. (Of course, having to stay home for a few hours can cost toke away from the office, etc.).

I went with a Ikea (Whirlpool-built) fridge over the Whirlpool or Kitchenaid-branded versions in large part because of the 5-year in-home warranty, as well as the lower cost when buying it at the same time as the 20%off cabinet promotions. It's missing a few interior parts I'd like to order as accessories though (extra shelves, bins, and can racks their other brands have but Ikea leaves out to keep the price low). Haven't decided which parts to get yet.

I went for a 24"w, 24"h, non-self-cleaning oven. Ikea recently discontinued the Nutid and Datid ovens in this size, although they still make the cabinet. I preferred the Fagor ovens with the side-hinged door, glide-out racks, and fast preheat anyway; they're only $100 more though only a one-year warranty, and from an organisation that isn't well established Stateside (they're big in Europe and Australia, so parts should remain available, if not necesarrily fast.. Oven's being installed today!

• baltomom_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks for the caution about Ikea wall ovens. I have not read good things about them, and am glad I chose not to get one.

I looked at the Ikea ovens because of the price and warranty, but in the end decided that they were too flimsy. I liked the few controls, though. I found a Jenn-Air floor model (built in 2009) that I got for half price. The door seems so much sturdier and the roll-out shelf is great -- just in a completely different class from the Ikea ovens, and at about the same price.

I would not use the self-clean function ever. I had a KA wall oven two houses ago, and used it once. It stunk up the entire house and wasn't worth it. I just wipe out the oven when it looks gunky. My new Jenn-Air has so much electronics that I wouldn't dream of using self-clean. I can't deal with living without an oven for a single day, and if it were to crash and burn, well, I'm not willing to take that chance.

• Avalon08
    10 years ago

Wish I had read this forum before I decided to use "self-clean" on my Ikea wall oven -- two days before I was supposed to put my house on the market. Well, it broke, just like the others' above. The oven is two years old and it's the first time I used self-clean. Called Ikea, they contacted the local repair place. Came out last week, had to order a part; came out today with the part, but that did not fix the problem. Had to order another part, which won't be in 'til next week. Meanwhile, I have no oven, and I've had to put my home sale on hold. Needless to say, I am beyond furious. But meanwhile, my cousin told me that she's had the same problem with her built-in wall oven (not Ikea); so many times that she just gave up and doesn't use self-clean anymore. Apparently, the heat that builds up during the self-clean function is too much for these built-in ovens.

• Avalon08
    10 years ago

I forgot to add: The reason I cannot sell the home with the oven as it is, is that the lights aren't working and the door can't be closed as it will lock up again. It is propped open with a dishtowel. The repair guy said, "Oh just tell them it's in the process of being repaired" -- yeah, right, that's all I need, to point out a flaw in a major appliance to prospective buyers.

• sukie
    10 years ago

I am, very shortly, going to confront IKEA again with this issue. I will post their reply.

• sukie
    10 years ago

Update on IKEA oven. The oven is made by Whirlpool and when I spoke with the IKEA person she said to call Whirlpool. They told me that maybe my repair person was biased and that I should try the self-cleaning function again. (!??) And then if (when) it breaks, call Whirlpool and they will send a different repair co. out. Am I getting tired of this circus or WHAT!! Now I have to choose when I can do without my oven for two weeks while I wait for parts to be ordered and get it fixed AGAIN!! Is something wrong here???

• barryv_gw
    10 years ago

For those of you with IKEA or Whirpool wall ovens, apparently there have been a number of reports of blown thermal fuses, and so they have revised the installation instructions to allow more space for venting
    http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/showthread.php?63004-Overheating-Oven-Cabinet-Ventilation-Question&p=695854#post695854

If you have one of the ovens, you might want to have a handyman see if they can drill some holes to allow ventilation if they can't rework the cabinet to give it the extra space.

Here is a link that might be useful: journal of online construction

• joedamobsta
    10 years ago

IKEA NUTID CONVECTION OVEN IS TOTAL GARBAGE 5 months old ..fist self clean and DEAD..after reading these complains i will toss this piece of crap in the garbage..i can aford a better built oven then have to worry about an oven that can not even clean itself..too many hassels with repairs and parts ..i am much better off taking a 900 dollar loss and be worry free..then keeping this garbage in my house...thanks for all the input ..i hope others will read them and not make the same mistakes as we all have!!!!!!!!

• BethIkea
    9 years ago

You get what you pay for. I ordered pizza for my moving men. I turned on my brand new IKEA wall oven (made by Whirlpool) and I warmed the pizza up. It splashed a little on the bottom so I decided to use my self clean feature.

Blow my oven up; couldn't even open the door. The repair man came. Parts are now ordered to replace basicallly the circuit board.

I Google searched and found out this happens almost everytime. So I used my oven once and am now awaiting the parts so my oven can open/work again.

When you buy cheap, expect this type of purchase. BUT I learned that Whirlpool seems to have no pride in their work so I will make every effort to steer clear of their products regardless of the price range.

• shelleydgn
    9 years ago

I wish I did my research. I am having the same problem with my Datid ikea oven. It has been 6 weeks and I am still without an oven.

• phylham20
    9 years ago

I got a Nutid oven from Ikea with my kitchen remodel and used the self cleaning for the first time and the same thing happened only 1 year and 3 months old. Called Ikea they said to call Whirlpool. So first thing this morning I will be on the phone. This is ridiculous. Had I known it was whirlpool I would have thought differently about buying it.

• sukie
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good luck with Whirlpool. they fixed my Ikea oven and then told me not to use the "self-clean" option again. I wound up dealing with Ikea. They replaced the oven but I am afraid to try the self-clean option!

• phylham20
    9 years ago

Thanks Sukie9 good to know because Ikea may have to replace my oven and cabinet. There was a burning smell I'm hoping it was not the cabinet or the wall:( . It was an Ikea install

• phylham20
    9 years ago

So I called Whirlpool @ 08:00am Monday morning and they were pleasant customer service, she scheduled me for 8-noon Tues. then called me back and asked if the service guy could come at Noon, So he did nice person he changed the thermo ?? fuse that he thought it was, and found out that is was something else.(some main board or something) My oven was not heating, so he took out his trusted computer and found that they had the parts at the office. and rescheduled me for Thursday which is fine. So we will see what happens after that.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't know what the deal is with these Ikea ovens, but I do know that when Whirlpool was having the same issue with other ovens several years ago, parts besides the thermal fuse needed to be replaced for the fix to be permanent. If the thermal fuse alone is replaced, the oven will work again but the problem will re-occur next time the self clean cycle is run.

What I don't get is why, despite the fact that this issue was fully corrected in their flagship brands (Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, JennAir) over 5 years ago, they are now making ovens for Ikea with the SAME problem.

• phylham20
    9 years ago

According to the service tech the oven is a Whirlpool oven with an Ikea name put on it. Hopefully with the main board being replaced I wont have the same issue again. I'm leary about turning the oven on before it gets fixed.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

These ovens are made by Whirlpool but they are definitely different from the ones Whirlpool actually puts their name on.

• theclaw
    8 years ago

As we all deal with issues in different ways, yes the oven is faulty. I bought the same oven, nothing listed as such per self-clean oven gets so hot literally melting sensor, they have a fix, to humor us as home owners, but it will blow as soon as you utilize self-clean. Finally after 6 repairs, almost weekly, Whirlpool sent me a check for the original cost of the oven. However stuck with an Ikea kitchen, I had to invest in the replacement model, due to the previous was "discontinued". Round 2; the new oven the NUTID

Thermal self-cleaning oven, Stainless steel, Works great, oven wise, no I haven't utilized the self clean, but as i type have been on the phone with Whirlpool, for 45 minutes, the heat coming out of the bottom of the vent to my wood floor, is so intense it is

buckling the floor. I measured it at 158 degrees Fahrenheit. They transferred me to parts, thinking there is a vent part missing. No luck, so back to square 1. Ikea washes their hands with it, and as soon as you mentioned that the reviews are unbelievable on line they all want to state, "well that is just peoples opinions". It's documented as well with my insurance, because if it catches my floor on fire, then Whirlpool is liable.

To the comment of car versus an oven, ?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Sorry, but I don't understand this:

Whirlpool sent me a check for the original cost of the oven. However stuck with an Ikea kitchen, I had to invest in the replacement model, due to the previous was "discontinued". Round 2; the new oven the NUTID

Ikea US sells standard sized appliances. Why couldn't you just go with a different brand? Confused.

EDIT I mean I realize you would have probably spent more for fewer features, but still...

• theclaw
    8 years ago

The oven Cook Top and Oven set up fits in the kitchen, I went to Sears for a 30" electric oven the opening would have had to be refitted, as well as the gas cook top would no longer be centered. This is why I stuck with the replacement model. I have had 4 IKEA kitchens, this is the first oven that did not hold up to the test.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

Ah, I see. Thanks.

• theclaw
    8 years ago

Update on Nutid Oven, After replacing the oven with the latest model,
    we were experiencing over 150 degree heat coming out of the floor vent
    while the oven was on. I inquired through Whirlpool, and they said that
    was tolerable? It would literally burn your feet. So as a final test
    "Self Clean" The oven not only quit working but it blistered the
    cabinet. Now IKEA is having to replace the cabinet, as well as they
    have refunded me in full. I have to modify the cabinet trim, but got the
    GE model from Home Depot, works great. I used the steam clean function
    no issues, so far.

• User
    8 years ago

Where's the required heat shield?

• theclaw
    8 years ago

Stuck to the Oven

• theclaw
    8 years ago

Follow up with the IKEA Fiasco, they sent out a cabinet worker, he removed the cabinet without breaking counter seal, installed a brand new cabinet, and formed a new piece of trim around my new GE oven, in which I have used the steam clean twice now, no issues.
    Good luck anyone else having issues with oven, Whirlpool still says that there is nothing wrong with their oven.

• Martha Brideau
    8 years ago

I am having the same problem. I bought the unit from IKEA, as soon as it was installed, I tried to check the self-clean feature and it just locked up then never worked again. They let me return that one because it was "defective". I have the new one from them for 7 mos. It was working great, then today tried to use self-clean feature. It went on and then it went blank and the oven is still locked and not working. What should I do?

• theclaw
    8 years ago

Get a refund and by GE

• katzoodles
    8 years ago

Thanks all - I purchased my home in April and the Ikea Nutid oven was brand new at that time (but sadly, no receipt from the previous owners). That means I have to use the home warranty because the oven just died after my first self-clean. Unfortunately, the contracted repair company is poorly rated, and 92 people on Yelp have said they'll waste my time until I give up.

I'm going to try a self-fix. After some browsing, it looks like the broken part is likely the oven shutdown thermal fuse - Whirlpool part 9759243. If this works, I'll re-post. I also wish I had thought to look online before trying the self-clean (but why would that have occurred to me?)

Video describing thermal fuse replacement (slightly different oven/ part number).

Video describing how to open the locked door so I can even remove the oven.

Optional and not for the faint of heart - I finally found the Ikea Wiring Diagrams online.

So sad to be scrambling right before thanksgiving. I feel for the home seller above, and any who are in the same boat - using the self-clean to prepare for an important event.

• theclaw
    8 years ago

Wasting your time, yes you can replace fuse, but as soon as you clean it will blow again, read my nightmare above

• Jennifer Pomeranz Erickson
    8 years ago

We bought a Nutid oven five months ago and last night after the 4th or 5th use its blown. It's not self cleaning but we did use the broil feature at the end of a regular baking use to roast some veggies for about 10 minutes. Do you think that is the same issue as with self cleaning? I'll be calling whirlpool today. We also had some foil underneath to cAtch drippings and it the middle it seems to be seared to the bottom of the oven...any ideas why?

• jeff1288
    8 years ago

I bought a matching microwave and convection ovens from Ikea in fall 2014. Datid and Nutid.

The convection oven locked up the first time I used the self cleaning. After three visits from the repairman, I decided not to use the self cleaning feature again. Kinda ridiculous paying for a feature that breaks your oven isn't it. IKEA offered to replace the oven, but I would have to remove it and return it to the store myself. PLUS they discontinued the model, so my matching ovens wouldn't match anymore. When I suggested they replace BOTH ovens since I bought them as a set, I got ZERO cooperation. So I just settled on not using the self cleaning.

Tonight my daughter noticed the interior top plastic housing of our microwave is melting away! There is a hole in the top????

I'm really not looking forward to dealing with IKEA and Whirlpool again on another quality issue.

• katzooz
    8 years ago

Late getting back (I must have been logged in differently - it's "katzoodles" from Nov 21), but I did manage to repair the oven the night before Thanksgiving. I used the thermal fuse listed in my above post, AND one additional fuse (2 fuses had blown). It took a little work and the help of the friend getting the oven in and out, but saved the cost of a new oven. Turkey dinner was saved, and I will never use self clean again.

• theclaw
    8 years ago

In the end, the weight to get everything returned for me and to have IKEA, send out a cabinet specialist to redesign cabinet to match my non IKEA appliance, was it was melting my cabinet, as well as the Appliance. Good luck, I still buy a lot of items from IKEA, just not a built in oven.

• theclaw
    8 years ago

"Sorry hit wrong key"

They redesigned the cabinet, to replace the IKEA oven; which is match fit to their cabinets. Standard appliances from other manufactures are not compatible. My GE from Home Depot, as pictured had to have the cabinet, trimmed in, but has not failed yet, and I have used self clean. As you read the previous posts, in the end it was a fire hazard. But the IKEA Gas cook top is hanging tough.

• absent12thletter
    7 years ago

I am having the same problem as jeff1288, we bought the nutid microwave and datid wall oven about 1 year ago. We read up ahead of time and knew not to use the self-clean function on the oven, but now the interior plastic housing of the microwave is melting and has left a hole in the top center of the microwave! We will pursue ikea for a replacement, just figured I would add another hit for this problem, since jeff1288's post on this thread was the only thing that popped up on Google for this problem.

• 8kat22
    7 years ago

I too bought a Nutid in 2014 with my new Ikea kitchen and both times I have tried to clean it the entire electronics have needed replacement. How do I get involved in the class action lawsuit. The repair people told me not to use the self clean....which I paid for...??? When the stainless steel Ikea fridge I bought began to rust after one month the Ikea service people sent me a can of rust cleaner. Unbelievable...and the fridge cost $1999. I just got my oven repaired after a month and am planning on getting a refund and buying another oven. Size is an issue because the Ikea oven (of course) is not standard.

• Helen Torris
    7 years ago

Now I find this thread - my kitchen is barely a month old and my Nutid oven just died on the self clean............Gah!!

• theclaw
    7 years ago

Let me know when everyone get the Law suit started. As you have read, I ended up going to Home Depot, getting a new oven; (GE), and IKEA sent out their cabinet guy to make the cabinet fit my new oven.

I still have the fuse set up, because they sent double parts.

The Claw

• Julie Mathews Ashton
    6 years ago

We bought this house new in 2017, it has an Ikea Nutid wall oven. Just used self clean for the first time yesterday. Yup, just as all these posts talk about, locked up and power source went dead. Cannot believe there is not a class action lawsuit started against IKEa and whirlpool, for this very obvious issue. Now because we bought this house and the previous owner/builder doesn't have receipt, we are screwed. This is unbelievable. Does anyone know how to get the oven door open with a coat hanger, I have tried but I wish there was a youtube video showing you how to unlock.

• mcmranch
    4 years ago

We got our Nutid oven with our IKEA ktchen a couple years ago; barely used the oven due to the putrid chemical smell (and we live in a place where we can't always open the windows). IKEA and Whirlpool assured me the smell was normal and would wear off. BUT the other issue is the heat that comes out the bottom of the oven! I fear it will melt the cabinets or our flooring, it's so hot!! Count us in on a lawsuit; the contractor who installed our kitchen through IKEA disappeared and when we contacted TRAEMAND they threatened to sue us (via notarized letter), accusing us of trying to make a side deal with the guy; it's been a mess.

• 8kat22
    4 years ago

We got an IKEA kitchen in 2014. Between then and now, I had to replace every appliance except the dishwasher. The oven stopped working on self clean, could not be fixed so I had to buy a GE, which works fine. When they took the oven out, there were black, burn spots on the inside. it could have burned down our house. The fridge began to rust within a week, there was so little coating of stainless steel. We had great contractors who got it replaced for me quickly. It still has some problems so it will probably have to be replaced before long as well. The glass stovetop also had to be replaced. I tell everyone I can, if you get an IKEA kitchen, don't buy the appliances. Buy your own. They will also be cheaper. IKEA's price for the fridge was $2000. That's how they make money when they discount the installation.

• dadoes
    4 years ago

8kat22 ... but that's not possible! Consumer Reports, the most respected review magazine, has rated IKEA as #3 for the best most reliable appliances between 2008 and 2018. Speed Queen is #1 but they make only laundry appliances. Miele is #2 on the list. So technically that makes Miele #1 for kitchen appliances such as dishwashers and ovens, and IKEA #2 for that category.

• poor trekker
    2 years ago

Our Whirlpool wall oven from IKEA, that we bought maybe 12-15 years ago, has TWICE needed the temperature sensor replaced. Additionally, I had to replace the whole keypad unit ($80) for their microwave oven, and the IKEA/Whirlpool dishwasher stopped working after only a few years. Total junk. Get your cabinets at IKEA then shop for appliances elsewhere (scratch & dent are just fine.)

• Sandra Meier
    last year

What are model/serial nimbers of built in microwaves and ovens NOT from ikea. that fit the cabinet? to me it seems the whirlpools, GEs are deeper than ikeas :/ i sont want the ikea brand for appliances but already have all ikea cabinets. dont know what to buy as im unsure if the appliances really will fit the ikea cabinet :/