Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

Any real photos of the Thermador or GE Mirror Finish INDUCTION?

2LittleFishies
12 years ago

I only can find stock photos and would love to see more real pics of these tops as well as any thoughts on how they look, function, and if they scratch/wear more easily than the black tops....

Comments (20)

• dodge59
    12 years ago

Do a google search for Thermador Induction Cooktop.
    Choose Images, then choose large.
    There are several kitchens with the Thermador Cooktop.
    Also do a google search for reviews of that cooktop.
    I'm not sure it is a current model and available, anymore.

Then do the same for GE.

Gary

• rmsaustin
    12 years ago

Don't have real photos or experience with function, scratching, etc. but I've seen the Thermador in real life and it is gorgeous (IMHO). If I was doing induction and had lots of $$ to spend I'd get it just to look at it!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

In some pics it looks very silver and others more gold tone?

• rmsaustin
    12 years ago

That's because the mirror finish reads silver and the induction rings are gold (the big hob on the 36" kind of looks a bit like an old-time record album, if the record were silver and gold). Don't know where you are, but perhaps you could call around to kitchen appliance places to see if someone has one so you can see it? I am dealing with the same type of dilemma but with a new Bertazzoni cooktop -- induction/gas combo -- looks nice in pictures, but I sure wish I could see it in real life!

• rmsaustin
    12 years ago

2littlefishies: I was out and about today looking at appliances (again!), and came across the Thermador Mirror finish 36" cooktop twice, so was able to get a good look. I didn't take a picture because I don't think a picture would have helped much. So, the unit does appear both silver and gold. There is gold not only in the rings of the hobs, but also in the background of the mirror finish -- it's actually a bit patterned all over with only the edges being solid mirror finish. In addition, one of the units was sitting on top of a countertop waiting installation and had been obviously handled a bit -- no scratches, but lots of fingerprints, dirt. It occurred to me that one (like me who would be driven crazy by the fingerprints) might find themselves breaking out the windex (or appropriate product) quite a bit to clean and shine the cooktop. Don't know if any of this helps...

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

RMSAustin- Wow! Thanks so much for the info! I don't think I'm going to like the Thermador from what I am hearing. I also don't like the framed controls on it.
    I also don't like fingerprints and now that you bring it up I wonder how the black tops on the Miele and others are with that?

• thynes1501
    12 years ago

2LittleFishies, we have the 36' Thermador induction with mirror finish. I have linked to my finished kitchen thread below; near the bottom are a couple of close-up glimpses of the cooktop.

My eye doesn't pick up any gold at all in the cooktop, just silver. In over a year of heavy use (we cook alot) there are no scratches and, honestly, fingerprints are left behind on the numbers on the control panel and nowhere else. Any specific questions, feel free to ask!

Here is a link that might be useful: THynes' Finished Kitchen

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I finally got to see both today and love them both! I see definite gold. They are warm to me- not silver like stainless. I will attach photos later for any of you interested : )

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is the Thermador. It is the 30" Current 2012 model. Shown next to "my" Vermont Danby Marble.

You can see the circles are more reflective than the surrounding area...

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

And here is the GE Monogram 36". NOTE: THIS IS NOT THE CURRENT MODEL. The new model does NOT have the stainless border around it at all. I included pics from their website. It looks totally frameless but I wonder if there 's a edge like the Miele so things don't run off of it?
    OH, you can also see that unlike the Thermador the whole thing has the same texture/reflection. (The Thermador's hobs are more reflective than the surrounding areas...)

Here are the photos from their site of the current model...

• lee676
    12 years ago

The new model GE doesn't have any edge. I've only seen the black one.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lee- so you're saying liquid would run off of it and not "catch" on anything?

• thumbs_03
    12 years ago

Thanks for the photos!!!

• diab123
    11 years ago

So those who have had the Thermador with mirror finish for awhile...how do you like it as to cleanup, scratching, etc.?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've only had my Thermador CIT365GM a few months. It's wonderful so far! No scratches or anything : )

I should mention that on the Thermador site the mirrored one now has a different model number (KM) and based on below may look different than the one I have and that I posted photos of above. I have a feeling the new mirrored finish is more silver. Mine has a bit of a gold look to it (which I like b/c it matches my marble)

* New, redesigned Silver Mirrored Finish-- striking and bold design offers the perfect companion solution for stainless steel products. (CIT365KM)

• Vicki Mixon
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Mirrored top -

No scratching, easy to clean. This one is about 8 mos old and as a side note, I cook and entertain a lot. Only problem I'm seeing is a little staining on the main burner. It appears to transfer from my stainless steel pans (which are new), but I'm having a hard time getting the stain off. Any suggestions?

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

Have you tried Ceramabryte?

• Vicki Mixon
    8 years ago

No, but I will. Thanks.

• jennytbenson
    8 years ago

I am assuming you have a telescoping downdraft ventilation system....have you been pleased so far? that is my one hesitation as overhead hood a no-go.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler