Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phyrephox

30 inch range recommendations

Phyrephox
10 years ago

Hello, I have spent the last few days wading thru range reviews. I know I want a gas or dual fuel range. I am still undecided about open vs. sealed burners as you seem to be able to get 5 burners in the sealed kind at 30 inches. I both cook and bake so really need more info about the baking capabilities of the ovens.
These are the brands I have been considering; American, Blue Star, Thremador, Capital, and GE Cafe.

Comments (2)

• M4rtin
    10 years ago

I just ordered 30'' Bluestar RCS after reading on this forum for over a year.
    For me it was the price, the burners, the grates for Woking, less electronics less chances for something to break, great oven capacity and bluestar seems to work with client when it comes to warranty claims.
    But I'll really know if my expectations will be met once I get to test drive it at home.

• NWRain-Gal
    10 years ago

Phyrephox,

We are wrapping up a total kitchen remodel. I had an old mid- 1970's electric range that came with the house. I had toyed with the idea of having a dual fuel range. I wanted an electric oven because I like to make cheesecakes and pies. We already had the 220V outlet and had previously ran a T for a future gas range in 2005 when we switched from an 1940's oil furnace to a new high-efficiency gas furnace.

I found an amazing deal on our local Craigs list for a NEW 30 inch GE Profile dual fuel range. It had been purchased as part of an auction lot from a kitchen remodel company that suddenly went out of business. It must have been displayed in a model kitchen vignette.

It was a few years old, but never used! It carried a full warranty by GE. It was white, which is exactly what I was looking for. I bought it for $1,000!
    It was missing the internal probe, which I probably would never use. It also was missing the instruction booklet which I got from calling GE with the model and serial numbers.

The range got hooked up just in time for Thanksgiving. I cooked a turkey breast and it did superbly. I have since baked casseroles, pizza, cookies, and lasagne. No cheesecakes just yet. The oven seems to bake about 25 degrees too cold. (My neighbor bought a brand new GE Profile Dual Fuel about the same time I did and her oven does the same thing) I just adjust it accordingly, either by increasing the time or upping the temp.

The cooktop is great. I really like cooking on gas better than electric. Heats up so much faster and much more immediate temperature response. I am having a little learning curve on the pots to burners choices. I am using my favorite 25 year old Reverware copper clad. You do have to match more burner size to pot size, but I'm getting the hang of it. I find I am able to cook most things on a lower setting on the burners at about 2,3,or 4 setting. Most of the time I use the medium and large burners from my everyday cooking. I use the X-large burner for large pots and pans and to boil pasta water. I have had great success using a 10.5 inch stock pot on it. The simmer burner I use for small pots, and light simmer for small batches of soup.

I like the electronic controls on the oven and it is easy to use. Cleaning the cooktop is easy too. I'm a "wipe up after you cook gal" so cleanup has been fine. I love having a window on the oven, something I never had before. I like to watch things cook and not have to open the door to do so. I haven't tried the convection bake yet.

So far I am very, very happy with this range. I also like the styling of it, it kind of has a rounded vintage look to it which goes well with my bungalow vintage kitchen.

This post was edited by NWRain-Gal on Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 3:28