Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
five4me_gw

wolf e or l series wall oven

five4me
11 years ago

Hello..
I am remodeling my kitchen and would love to get some input on how this oven cooks, reliability and overall experience. We have to install under the counter. Not sure if it will go under the cooktop or not. Many ovens seem soooo low on this type of install. I am open to other suggestions.
Thank you..

Comments (11)

• rhome410
    11 years ago

I had the Wolf E series. GREAT performer. The dual fan convection is a better convection system than any I've ever had or tried. I loved how it baked and how consistent and exact the temperatures were. Great glide racks. Nice look and build quality, -for the most part.

However, I actually had 3 Wolf ovens, because I kept having problems with the porcelain crazing, then splintering at the front corners of the oven cavity, and starting to come out. I have a large family and bake often, and had weekly pizza baking that meant running the oven at 525 or 550 degrees for a couple hours or more. Wolf said my frequency of use and the high-heat pizza baking put me outside the norm for the home baker, and that's probably why it didn't hold up. Others have had similar problems without the same baking situation, but then there are others who have not had problems. So I don't know how to guess what your luck might be with it. They never gave me a problem about changing out the oven, quickly and conveniently, when I sent them pics, as it always happened within the warranty period.

Wolf is not the only oven I had this problem with, as I had 2 Fisher and Paykel ovens with the same issue, so I was starting to think it was just me, although both manufacturers assured me I was doing nothing wrong to cause it. In between the F&Ps and Wolfs, I had a Monogram that didn't have porcelain issues, but it had problems with inconsistent temperatures and lousy baking performance. Of all of those, I rank Wolf the highest for performance and customer service (F&P was pretty good, too, but not the quite the same class in build quality and technology. I would never buy a GE oven for anything again). But Wolf gave up on me now, and I'm onto another new oven that I hope is a keeper.

Best wishes on your oven hunt!

• five4me
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey rhome.. Is your newest oven still a wolf? If not, what mfg. did you decide on? I looked at the gagg 24 and 30 but it may not be advisable to put them under the counter. I have the gagg steamer and love it. Great for everything. Could put the 24 oven in under the steamer but will not be able to fit a full cookie tray. I am not a fan of miele for cooking.

• rhome410
    11 years ago

Wolf was definitely backing away from me, so I had to go another direction. My wonderful appliance guy found me a floor model Gagg for not much over the amount of my Wolf refund, and I hope it's getting installed by tomorrow. The doors, the design, the engineering, the technology...all seems very impressive. The Gagg distributor rep said he thought their porcelain should stand up to even me! ;-)

I suppose it might be difficult to use the side-opening door if it's under-counter. On AJMadison's website, I saw a Gagg that's undercounter installable, but it's 36" wide.

Here is a link that might be useful: Undercounter Gagg

• dodge59
    11 years ago

I would definitely look at the Electrolux ovens,
    especially for an "Under counter installation".

Why?

(1)Racks that glide "WAYYYYYY out" on ball bearings, really come in handy for "UCI" (Under counter installation).

(2) Large display and large easy to read control panel,
    (Probably the largest readout in the industry). Easy to read without stooping over to look directly at it, and I can read it without my reading glasses.
    (glasses are never handy always on wrong house floor), LOL.

(3) Large viewing window, (at least the Icon series), can see what's in oven without a lotta bending over.

(4) Well lit interior---(nuff said).

(5) great performance, absolutely trouble free in the six years I've had it now.
    (No Service calls).

Anyway, take the time to read reviews here about the Electrolux ovens,
    It should add to your "Knowledge Bank" in making the best oven purchase decision!

Good luck with the "Hunt"!

Gary

• five4me
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Me again,

I am not sure I am any further in my decsion to get the wolf vs anything else. Rhome, how is the gagg working out?

Can I offset the install of a cooktop over an under counter oven? Or does it have to be directly over or next to.. My kitchen is so small and while I should get a range, I just can not bear the thought of the crumb collector they become.

We decided on a Miele cooktop. The only other in the running was the Bosch because we liked the setup, but the power did not appear to be equal to the Miele.

I want to set the cooktop 9 inches offest to allow for cook/prep space not to be in front of the oven if it is on.

Will that look bad..thoughts?

• dodge59
    11 years ago

My oven is not below my Elux induction cooktop.

We love it that way, and one does not interfere with the other, IE, wife can remove something from the oven whilst I'm still "Cheffing Away" on the Elux induction cooktop.

In fact below the cooktop is a lazy susan with the pots and pans for the cooktop and oven.

Here's a picture of ours which are offset, alto our kitchen is "Curved" in that area.

Good luck with your decisions!

Gary

• athensmomof3
    11 years ago

I hear the L is being discontinued and replaced by a newer model, so I wouldn't get that one, personally. . .

• rhome410
    11 years ago

The Gagg has a learning curve I'm still navigating. ;-) My floor model oven was missing a few parts when it arrived, but BSH/Gagg sent the parts, which I just received in the last few days. It seemed to bake well on the few things we've done. I tried the rotisserie, but after that first time, I'm not in love. I will give it a few more tries, though, because people tell me it's a great feature. I don't think I can give a really good review until I've been using it for a few months, and then if the porcelain stays in even longer.

I'm just curious, Athensmom, do you mean you wouldn't get the current Wolf model or the new one? Why, for either? I couldn't find anything about changes for 2013 except for the all-sealed burners on the AG ranges, and a stainless control panel on the E-series. What are they doing to replace the L?

• five4me
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rhome - Thanks for the update on the gagg oven. I have to admit that I do lurk and read your blog - I did see the plight of the pizza.

Dodge, thanks for the pics that was very helpful. With my small galley kitchen unfortunately I will either be prepping in front of the oven if it is under the counter next to me or standing directly in front of it is it under the cooktop, neither of which sounds overly appealing.

The only option other than the wolf L or e under the counter is to put in a gagg single oven underneath the steamer.

Originally I had the kitchen designed with the 30 inch gagg steamer with a single 30 gagg underneath. I got greedy for counter space and went with the 24 in steamer because it's the same size as the 30. Unfortunately that left me with a 24 inch full size cabinet for another oven.

I suppose since I have not ordered the cabinets yet I could give up to 6 inches and then I would land up with a 30 inch Gaggenau oven underneath a 24 in steamer but that may look odd.

Or stop hemming and hawing and put in the smaller 24 gagg oven.. I just think it may be too small.

• five4me
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rhome - Thanks for the update on the gagg oven. I have to admit that I do lurk and read your blog - I did see the plight of the pizza.

Dodge, thanks for the pics that was very helpful. With my small galley kitchen unfortunately I will either be prepping in front of the oven if it is under the counter next to me or standing directly in front of it is it under the cooktop, neither of which sounds overly appealing.

The only option other than the wolf L or e under the counter is to put in a gagg single oven underneath the steamer.

Originally I had the kitchen designed with the 30 inch gagg steamer with a single 30 gagg underneath. I got greedy for counter space and went with the 24 in steamer because it's the same size as the 30. Unfortunately that left me with a 24 inch full size cabinet for another oven.

I suppose since I have not ordered the cabinets yet I could give up to 6 inches and then I would land up with a 30 inch Gaggenau oven underneath a 24 in steamer but that may look odd.

Or stop hemming and hawing and put in the smaller 24 gagg oven.. I just think it may be too small.

• five4me
    Original Author
    11 years ago