Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stuarbc

Verifying Gas flow rate to Range

stuarbc
10 years ago

Builder had the plumber install the gas lines for my house. The line enters my house as 3/4" galvanized pipe, goes into the attic and then branches off. One branch reduces down to 1/4" copper tubing and then run across the house (in the attic) about 40' before dropping down to the gas range. The other line stays 3/4" piping to a stub out on the side of the house. I have to run piping from the stub out to a fire pit. After researching the size pipe needed for the fire pit, I am concerned that the 1/4" tubing he ran to the range is not enough. I confronted the builder and said that per what I saw on the internet listing code requirements, the pipe appeared to be undersized. He would not change it....stating that that is the size they have always used and have had no problems.

I purchased one of the NXR 30" ranges that have 4 x 15000 btu burners and a gas oven.....so pretty high capacity. I was trying to find a way to verify that the range is getting the proper flow.....but do not know of a way to measure BTUs.

The only way I could think of would be to run one burner on high and see what the flame looks like.....then turn everything on and see if the flame looks the same or smaller. If it is smaller, that should show that the flow is restricted.

Is there a better way?

Comment (1)