Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
building_a_house_gw

Does Wolf Now Have an Open Burner Option???

building_a_house
11 years ago

I swear I remember reading somewhere that Wolf was going to be releasing a new open burner in Jan 2013. As I am in the market for a 36" rangetop I would love to know if anyone has any more information about this.

Thanks.

Comments (27)

• keitel
    11 years ago

As far as I understand from what I was told by a local retailer, Wolf is done with open burners.

• jolb57
    11 years ago

They just revised their website they only offer sealed burners also the original red knobs are also gone.

• beth4
    11 years ago

I believe Wolf still offers a choice of either the black or the red knobs. I just checked their website and it states that customers have a choice. I would hate to see them eliminate those distinctive red knobs!

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Yes, the newly designed Wolf all-gas range
    does still offer a choice of red or black knobs.
    But the nobs are the DF style knobs --
    not the older, classic red that was previously sported by the all gas Wolf range.

Here is what they look like:
    {{gwi:1377354}}

The gas range burners are now sealed, like the DF burners.

• jolb57
    11 years ago

When they deplete their current supply these knobs will not and sadly won't be offered. Yes Red knobs but not the distinctive dark cherry ones probably to some old fashioned and yes I just bought a 304 AG range with the knobs in the photo.

• beth4
    11 years ago

Aaah.... I have the Wolf 304 DF...so my red knobs are not the color of the all gas red knobs. I didn't realize there was a difference in the "reds"....but can clearly see it in the photo jolb posted. Also, the DF red knobs are marked diffently....the temps are electronically measured....the only writing on the knobs is for the oven mode... Bake, Roast, Broil, Proof, Clean or Convection Bake, Roast, Broil, etc.

I do think they're pretty and distinctive...but understand why those who've loved the darker, cherry version will be sad to see them retire.

• jolb57
    11 years ago

Yes in no way would I imply one better than the other
    But the older knob will fit my 50s home more harmoniously.

• springplanter
    11 years ago

jolb57: would you be willing to tell us the price range? Did you get a good deal because they are phasing out the AG open burner models? Tried to send you an email but GW didn't put it through

Thanks

• keitel
    11 years ago

I posted about this a couple of months ago - I've seen Wolf AGs reduced dramatically. If anyone ever wanted an open-burner AG go find one now as it's the end of the line. The 30" I saw was $3999 CDN vs. the usual $6000.

• jolb57
    11 years ago

I got a scratch on the one I bought saved 20% over the 3999Im happy I called other store no budge. I'm happy

• jolb57
    11 years ago

Call all your local dealers and hunt for floor models because as the AG old models phase out...

• dhparker
    11 years ago

Are people (like me) considering purchasing a current AG model - as these will be the last of these? I'm currently redoing my kitchen and wasn't planning on buying the range until the summer - but I'm thinking of moving up teh range purchase to get the current stock of Wolf AG. Is there any benefit to the "new and improved" model?

Dave

• wekick
    11 years ago

The new AG will have the sealed burners like the DF. The knobs will be different, like the DF too. I think they are a little sturdier but some people prefer the retro look of the old knobs. I'm not sure if there are any other differences. I have the sealed burners and really like them. I think they are very easy to clean.
    The problem with buying ahead of time is that your warranty usually starts when you take delivery.

• jolb57
    11 years ago

Dave as you know new and improved is in the eye of the eye of the beholder, Having said that the updated version of the AG ranges are on their website. I must say it looks very nice. The control knobs are electronic versus the turning a valve open and close. Maybe a DF range owner can chime in here. I heard that Wolf is streamlining for efficiency. Whether true or not, I don't know.

• jolb57
    11 years ago

And I can't confirm my assertion re how the knobs control the flame level.

• wekick
    11 years ago

You must be reading my mind. You turn the knob and it opens/closes the valve as far as I know. It has two ranges of flame. As you turn the knob to the left, the regular burner come on. Keep going to the left to increase the flame. Keep going and the top goes out and the (lower)simmer come on and can be adjusted

• jolb57
    11 years ago

I'm still awaiting delivery I can't wait. ....

• dhparker
    11 years ago

So Jolby - you went with the previous Wolf AG version (the one not on their web-site)?

I'm leaning to the previous version - seems more mechanical with less electronics to go wrong. I'd be interested to hear what the current Wolf dual fuel owners can say about their range-tops?

• jolb57
    11 years ago

Yes the photo posted by me is the range I got . The sealed burner model will be easier to clean I'd imagine. The older design goes back 10 plus years .

• wekick
    11 years ago

Posted by dhparker
    I'm leaning to the previous version - seems more mechanical with less electronics to go wrong.

Could you explain what you mean.

• jolb57
    11 years ago

Wekick could tell more about yours? Like it still has a single fan convection.... Still built like a tank...

• wekick
    11 years ago

I have the DF and the burners are the same as the new AG, from what I understand but the oven is different. I don't know if they changed the ovens on the AG. I am trying to figure out why you and dhparker think there are more electronics on the sealed burners. The electric oven has more electronics on the DF but the AG has a gas oven.

• jolb57
    11 years ago

I see we'll the duel fuel has two convection fans and really is more versatile in many respects. But I did read something that made me think what I refer to above but I am dead wrong.

• dhparker
    11 years ago

My understanding was the new wolf AG range knobs use an electronic control - wheras the older use a mecahnical control to manage the flame size. May be wrong though.

My main interest in the difference are peoples thoughts on the sealed burners on the new range vs semi-open burners on the older model.

• jolb57
    11 years ago

I just called the showroom and delivery to the burner is the same. So it's a simple turning of the valve regardless if new/old version or duel fuel.

• julieste
    11 years ago

I happened to be in a showroom looking yesterday when the
    Wolf rep came in. He told me that the reason for the change is to standardize and simplify things at the factory. After all, it would be less re-fitting and changing machines if all of their tops are the same (I'd assume).

• jellytoast
    11 years ago

The older model all-gas range with the semi-open burners is no longer available unless you can find a floor model. The discontinued model had a top that comes completely apart for cleaning. The new model has a porcelain cooktop surrounded by stainess steel and cannot be removed or lifted up for cleaning the areas in between. The discontinued model has single grates, the newer model has grates that cover two buners and another grate that covers the center. The oven door on the older model sticks out about half an inch from the frame, the newer model sits flush in the frame. The styling has been "updated" to resemble the dual fuel. From what I was told at the Wolf showroom, the oven is the same with no changes.