Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

bend-or re your e-mail re combi-steam

plllog
10 years ago

I had a message this morning from Bend-Or about the Gaggenau combi-steam oven, but this member has settings that don't allow an e-mail reply.

I'm away from home, so can't measure the oven for you or look up the model number, but it's the one with the large control screen at the bottom with two large round knobs. I don't know if there's a newer one. This came out about five years ago.

The interior measurement is about 18" front to back, and 12"-15" (I don't remember) wide. The pans are 2/3 of a standard sheet pan, and the half sheets you can buy at the restaurant supply will work, so that should give you a reference for the usable width.

I only half remember the conversation about the pizza. Indeed, you could make a decent sized, oblong pizza. Because it's convection only (no direct heating element, just the heated fan and the steam (which you can turn off) it doesn't require a large air volume. I've gotten an 8 quart graniteware roaster in there (barely), a seventeen inch Pyrex baking dish, and I've done breasts and thighs of one and a half turkeys. It holds a lot for such a little space.

Cooking in it is very different from the old timey tend to the hearth model of cookery that I grew up with. You let the steam baste for you. The aphorism "if you're lookin' you're not cookin'" applies in spades with the combi-steam. Just estimate the settings by following the examples on the clue wheel and go for it. Once you've used it awhile and know how long things take, you rarely have to check for doneness.

Hope this helps.