Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda1503

Gas range and tempered glass conversion

Linda1503
13 years ago

I love cooking on gas but hate the clean-up of spills and splashes so I was thinking of buying a good piece of tempered glass to set over the burner frames to cook on. Can anyone think of why this would be a bad idea?

Comments (13)

• llaatt22
    13 years ago

Can you?

• Linda1503
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can't think of why you can't place a piece of tempered glass over a gas range to catch the spills so clean-up would be easier. I was just wondering if there were some scientific reason this would be a bad idea. YOur reply wasn't really helpful but thanks anyway.

• dan1888
    13 years ago

The idea would require probably 6mm or thicker glass with holes for the burners drilled before taking it to a glass temperer. They could run it through their oven and quench it. Should improve its strength by a factor of five. Another alternative is induction with the same power and response as restaurant gas burners and a glass top which does not get hot. Any cleanup is a snap.

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

I've had gas and electric (coil) now I have induction. The induction is the fastest and cleanest. I can even put a paper towel under a frying pan to catch grease splatters.

• live_wire_oak
    13 years ago

The cost of doing such a thing would be prohibitive. A plain thin flat tempered glass tabletop of the size of a range runs a couple of hundred dollars. YOu'd need thicker and more impact resistant than a tabletop and need it moulded to the range's contours. You'd need precision holes located in it as well. You might be talking 1K before you were over for just a flat piece, and moulded would be virtually impossible. ALso, your range is designed to achieve a certain air flow for your burners. Impacting that by placing another surface on top of your range that would affect that could lead to incomplete combustion or other issues.

If easy cleanup is important enough to you to spend that kind of money, go induction. Or go pro range top with a drip pan. YOu'll get much better function from the cooking components, and easier cleanup as well.

Or, the low cost solution to your problem involves just a few cents of heavy duty aluminum foil as long as you're not talking too high heat cooking. Foil's melting temperature is fairly low and it can meld with some oven or cooktop surfaces under high heat cooking conditions. But, you'd probably have to have more than the 12K consumer grade burners to have that issue.

• Linda1503
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maybe I'm not making myself clear. I want to just set a thick piece of tempered glass on the range. The racks over the burners would allow for air flow. So instead of the pans sitting on the metal, they will be sitting on the glass.
    I'm not going to replace anything since this is a rental home. Just set the glass on the range.

• weissman
    13 years ago

Sounds like a really bad idea. Putting a sheet of glass on top of the burners seems like it will smother the airflow and they won't light. If they do light it's not clear that the heat will come through the glass sufficiently to heat anything. You really want the flames hitting the pots.

If you don't like cleaning the cooktop then don't. As you said, it's only a rental :-)

• Linda1503
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There's plenty of room between the burners and the grates that fit over them to allow air flow and the pans don't touch the flame as it is.

• weissman
    13 years ago

You may be right about the room for the airflow but you're wrong about the flame not touching the pots. The flame definitely does touch the pots - that's what heats them - it's not the grates getting hot and transferring the heat.

• Linda1503
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, the grates are pretty high over the burners and I don't sear everything so I don't keep it on high flame so the flame touches the pans. I only use high flame for getting skillets hot.

• llaatt22
    13 years ago

Oscar
    Bravo
    Victor
    India
    Oscar
    Uniform
    Sierra
    Tango
    Romeo
    Oscar
    Lima
    Lima

• Linda1503
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Excuse me?! That was totally uncalled for. I didn't come here to debate a concept, much less be called names.
    You could be referring to yourself though. If that's the case, so be it.

• dodge59
    13 years ago

Hmmmmm, a "Pilot" above, How "Fitting"!