Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcvoigt

Gas slide in range you love under 2K?

dcvoigt
15 years ago

I am considering a slide in range for the first time--have gas and want to stay with gas. I've only seen 1 ge and they all have a fan sending heat from the oven up thru a vent in the cooktop. Is there any way around that with other brands?

Having the controls for the oven in the front will help because I'm having the Microwave over the range, but I am thinking that these controls will always be getting spattered while I cook on the top 2 front burners which is where I do most of my cooktop cooking. I also don't want convection, extra oven, or warming drawer, or more than 4 burners--just cause I really don't need them.

Please let me know if your experience regarding the fan and the controls. Also do you have less cooktop space?

Comments (19)

• rennovatorjen
    15 years ago

I have a slide-in electric range (now broken, but that's another story) and the front controls do get spattered. But I don't see how they would avoid getting spattered if they are in the back? Well, maybe that's the case, but the knobs come off, you wipe, and you stick them back on. The problem with slide-in ranges is that the electronic control panels up front tend to overheat and quit working (raises hand - 7 times). Of course, if the manufacturer had more ethics than AMANA, they would acknowledge that they created a lemon and replace the oven.

• dcvoigt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anyone else?

• amoretti
    15 years ago

My mother has a Frigidaire (under 1000, I think) and it is just fine. I bought a plain old Frigidaire range too (not slide-in as I wanted to avoid the $500 contractor charge to do something to countertops...) and it is fine too. I was mooning over semi-pro and even Lacanche, but when it came down to it, I did a budget remodel BY CHOICE. It was the right decision!

• dcvoigt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am considering the Frigidaire Professional slide in. Probably the dual fuel/convection although I really didn't think I needed convection but I wanted the dual fuel(convection in included) to get away from the vent on the cooktop for the gas oven. Anyway I got a price for around 1400.00 which I think is pretty good. Now I just need to know if Frigidaire Prof. is a good model; I've only had GE's before.
    Also, I guess Kenmore is made by Frigidaire and offers a similar slide in dual fuel but it is 300.00 more for about the same thing.

• jakkom
    15 years ago

>>Kenmore is made by Frigidaire No, that's not quite accurate. Kenmore sources from a number of different mfg's - Bosch, Whirlpool, Frigidaire, GE, and Electrolux. There's a website somewhere where you can check the first two or three letters of the model # to find out which mfg built the appliance for Sears.

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

I have this KitchenAid model at my weekend lake place. I really like it - have the basic one - no convection or warming drawer - though they do have different versions of this one with those features. It has the vent out the top though I've never found that to be a problem.

I don't worry too much about splatter issues. Ranges are meant to be used and that means they have to be cleaned. I've never found a way around that.

Here is a link that might be useful: KitchenAid

• clubcracker
    15 years ago

I've had two - a GE Profile all gas in my last house and a Bosch dual fuel (but it comes in an all gas) in my current house. Both were under 2K or very close to it for the all gas models, and I've been happy with them.

Good luck!

Mary

• dcvoigt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

clubcracker: what finish does your bosch have, stainless? If so is the cooktop surface the black glass and does it show everything? Also aren't the grates very high compared to the counter top? Just wondering, cause I saw the dual fuel Bosch and those where my concerns. Thanks.

Still wondering about anyone who has the Frigidaire Pro dual fuel slide in.

• clubcracker
    15 years ago

I have the white Bosch range, it has stainless accents and the front is sort of white glass - not like a regular white appliance. It has a white top, black burners, and black castiron grates. I love the way it looks, and we always get compliments on it (despite the lack of backsplash, topic for another day!), though I know when it first came out a lot of people on this forum didn't care for the look. Here's a pic:

Yes, the grates do sit above the counter, but that has always been the case for my gas ranges.

Hope this is helpful.

• dcvoigt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the picture. It looks great. How far is it from the top of your grates to the bottom of your microwave?

• clubcracker
    15 years ago

Hi, from the top of the grate to the bottom of the microwave is 18.5 inches to the lights/filter, 20 inches to the bottom of the microwave door. It was exactly what the code required - our ceilings are ridiculously high in the kitchen so we considered putting all the upper items higher, but thought it would be a pain to reach way into the back of the micro that way.

Good luck deciding!

Mary

• dcvoigt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think the Bosch is too high for my needs. We only have 7 1/2 foot ceilings so every inch counts. I think I need to get 18 inches between the range and the bottom of the MWO. Thanks for all the info, Mary.

Others: Anyone have a slide-in Pro (or even non pro) Frigidaire dual gas or the same in a Kitchenaid? I'm leaning towards the Frigidaire just cause I can get one for 1430.00 and it has more than I need. I just don't know if it is really a all over good range.
    The KA is another option--I don't think I want the SS cooktop that others offer. People say they scratch so easy.
    Our appliances will be Stainless.
    Thanks.

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

My KA slide in does not have a stainless cooktop - it's black.

• dcvoigt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gibby3000: so do you like the KA slide in? How long have you had it? What kind is it--dual fuel or gas? Is the area in the front where the burner and oven controls are easy to keep clean? Does a oven fan go on every time you bake even when jsut using the oven, but not the convection part of the oven--if that is the kind you have?Thanks, Cindy

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

Mine is gas - it's the most basic of that particular model - no convection, nothing. I've had it about two years but since it's at my weekend place it isn't used as much as what I have at home. I like it fine but I'm not a big baker so doesn't get used for that kind of thing. I was looking for a basic slide in and frankly appearance was a factor. I like the looks of this one particularly the continuous grates that are kind of low profile.

In my opinion anything stainless like this is not really easy to keep clean. It isn't hard but you always have to be wiping and drying for the spots and smears. That's just the way it is - I use a lot of 409 and a miracle cloth.

Yes, the fan comes on - as I understand it that is to cool the electronic controls.

• dcvoigt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So, gibby3000, can you tell me a little bit more about the vent for the oven. It is it along the back of the cooktop, front, or in the top of the cooktop with a little grate over it? From what I've read if it is in the front it really is hot for the cook who is maybe standing there working on the cooktop.
    This model comes in dual fuel with an electric oven, but I've never used an electric oven. My GE gas one works great. However if this vent thing is an issue then I could get the duel full (which always comes with convection too). The Kitchenaid and the Frigidaire are what I am currently considering for either straight gas or dual fuel in a slide in (but the KA freestanding looks more like a slide in so that could be an option too)Oh, all these choices!!!! will I have any hair left?!!!

• luclin999
    15 years ago

I'm in exactly the same situation, trying to find the best gas, slide-in range for 2k as well.

Right now we don't know what to look at.

My wife really likes the look of the Jenn-air model: JGS8860BDP but I would like to know more about what we are going to buy other than that it looks nice ;)

It seems that everywhere I look there are horror stories about every major brand though...

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

cindy, the vent for the oven is between the back two burners and it has a little cover over it. I don't even notice it when the oven is on.