Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annova914

Stainless steel refrigerators:what's with the sides?

annova914
12 years ago

We just went to look at refrigerators (last purchase was in 1995 so we're due for a new one). I wanted stainless steel and was shocked to see that the ss were not ss on all 3 sides, just the front. Our refrigerator has a pantry wall on one side but just a counter section on the other (which can be seen from the dining room). I figured the ss would be on all 3 sides...I'm not thrilled to see the typical refrigerator textured side in gray (or worse, in black!). Is this normal? or do only the ultra-ultra expensive fridges have ss on all 3 sides?

Comments (18)

• oceangirl67
    12 years ago

ge cafe

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

They've always been that way for the home market. You can get a fully stainless wrapped fridge, but it's about a $1000 to $1500 upgrade.

{{gwi:1376785}}
    {{gwi:1376786}}

And the fact that you really can't fine a pic of them from the side online ought to tell you how much people look at the sides of their fridge.

Here is a link that might be useful: PSHW6YGZSS GE Energy Star Profile 25.5 Cu. Ft. Stainless-Wrapped Side-by-Side Refrigerator - Stainless Steel

• angel411
    12 years ago

Our last house had the same set up so we chose the Fridgedaire Professional Series that had the stainless sides. It is okay, but we've had ice maker issues.

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

I thought there was a thread about this before, but I couldn't find it. (If anyone remembers it, the kitchen was a galley kitchen with stained cabinets) If I remember right that person bought stainless steel panels and applied them to the sides of her stainless front/grey sided fridge to give the look of the stainless all the way around. That may be a more cost effective option that broadens your brand and style of refrigerator choices.

• jscout
    12 years ago

I think I saw an episode of "I Hate My Kitchen" where they applied stainless steel "foil" to a white refrigerator to save some money. I wonder if it really does work.

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

There are a few companies that manufacture stainless steel panels for fridges - for both the front and sides. I agree - the black side bugs me too!

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

Stainless has gotten a lot more expensive. Not doing the sides is a cost-saving option.

• annova914
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, everyone. We're new at refrigerator buying after almost 17 years and I couldn't believe those gray or black textured sides. I wondered if I could find ss panels for that one side so I appreciate learning that a few companies actually *do* manufacture them. Thanks again.

• tyguy
    12 years ago

Add me to the list of hating the ss fridges with black sides. Grey is bad, but black is horrible, unless it is being built in.

The stainless foil looks ghetto, wouldn't waste time trying it.

Could have a piece of stainless fabricated for the one exposed side.

Just had some stainless custom fabricated and the sheet of stainless alone was over $300. This would depend on guage, quality, and market. Still may be cheaper than buying one with ss sides, but who knows how well it could be installed without looking goofy.

• buffalotina
    12 years ago

I believe the Liebherr's have stainless sides.

• annie8591
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I had to chuckle when I found this almost 6-year-old comment because I am now refrigerator shopping and I WANT stainless steel w/ black sides and I don't think I'm going to find it. :(

• Gail Aines
    6 years ago

Same here lol... My old GE had the option of SS on the sides which I bought. Looking for the same for my house in the Keys.

• lauraspainhoward
    6 years ago

I am looking for a fridge with SS side panel options. The GE monogram fridge link above is no longer available. If you find an option please let me know. I am not interested in fabricating a solution and would prefer it come from the manufacturer to avoid any issues. I cannot believe I came across this thread that is so dated but the issue still exists!

• jt fields
    6 years ago

I'm not sure what your budget is but many of the Sub-Zero built in units have a stainless side panel option for those who will have a side exposed or want to use it as a freestanding refrigerator. They are very expensive though. The refrigerators themselves can easily come in at $10,000 and one side panel can run $700.

• andrewrxxx
    5 years ago

Probably a cheaper option is to just get a 26" depth cutout and hide the sides of the fridge. But the kicker is some doors, when fully open, rotate slightly behind the sides, so you can't fully hide the doors w/o them contacting the cabinet panel, even if you have the depth. I checked out a few tonight:

Monogram has stainless sides, and doors do rotate back slightly but doesn't matter.

Bosch (plain front w/ flat doors) rotates back about 1/4" so at least that much of sides must show

Jenn air has a model with flat doors and doors rotate out so you could hide the sides

Also kitchen aid has one too.

I was going to get the Bosch but now I'm kinda annoyed they designed it that way

• educateme
    5 years ago

I have a 24 year old white refrigerator that started having pin dot rust stains all over it when we were out of town a couple of summers ago (an AC issue in my home caused a humidity issue). I lightly sanded it and roller painted it with Rustoleum appliance paint and it is FANTASTIC!!! That was 18 months ago and I now need a new one since it is finally on life support. I too have a refrigerator that has an exposed side with no room for a cabinet wall to hide it from my dining room. I now need a new one and I will paint the sides white if it looks bad with the grey of which I have none anywhere else in my kitchen. My kitchen has white bead board wainscoting so problem solved.